Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater Control Cables
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Heater Control Cables Reply with quote

Heater knob diagram
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Moderator note/summary/tips from other members:
* Walk through and bench cables are different so get the same one you had and make sure it is the right one for your year Bus. Trucks use the bench seat cable.

* If you have nice front seats, remove them from the Bus so you don't get grease on them. The cables always seem to spring around everywhere.

* On removal, I cut off the thicker ends by the engine before pulling it out up front, if one or both ends are even still there.

* On replacement, the longer cable goes to the passenger side.

* If you have trouble getting the new cables installed or if you just want to clean out the tubes before installing your new cable, a cut off clutch cable mounted in your drill works great to clean any junk out of the tubes. You need a full length clutch cable, approx. 10 feet, to go all the way from front to back. Make sure you run the drill backwards so you don't unwind the cable, otherwise it may break.

* Per the Bentley you are supposed to screw the knob all the way out (anti-clockwise) then tighten it 3 turns before you reinsert it.

* Remember the the slide (#6 in the diagram above) has a groove in it that has to line up with the small tab inside the hole. See photo below.

* Operate the arms on your heater boxes by hand and make sure they move freely before turning the knob up front, sometimes they get bent and will bind on the heater box body. This can break your cable or just pull it out of the mounting nuts out back.

* Don't forget there are cable seals on the ends of the tubes by the engine.
Wolfsburg West and other vendors sells them. Link:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111711691

Photo of cable insertion area up front:

==============================
Original post is below

The ends on my heater cables have broken, broken again, and yet again. So, it is time to replace them. There is an option for walkthrough cables or non walkthrough cables. My bus is a 61 flipseat, so I'm assuming I would need the walkthrough cables because the bus was built on a swivel seat bus platform, correct? The difference between them is where the heater control knob is mounted... Walkthrough would be right under the driver, and non walkthrough would be in the center of the seat, correct?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta use a walk-thru cable, which is different than a non-walk-thru cable, it's longer.
good luck finding a real one, seems like all the aftermarket ones are too short or are improperly marked as a "C" part number.
non-walk-thru cable (post-barndoor): 211 711 629 B (length 5715mm)
walk-thru cable: 211 711 629 C (length 5750mm)
Rain's Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I remember correctly Wolfsburg West is now carying the correct walk through cables
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are not available, I have some NOS ones that I remember figuring out they were walkthrough years ago. I will unravel one and doublecheck it if you get desperate.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys Smile I'm going to make up a little list tomorrow of things and do some calling. Spring is here and I'm starting to drive the bus, so time for some more spring maintenance. I'm also going to see if I can find a fuel tap and free the cable up to get that working.
biggestdaddyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Heater Control Knob Confusion. Reply with quote

Ok so I'm replacing the heater cables on a '66 walk-thru. I got the part from WW and start to take the rig apart. Knob comes off easily with a push-thru pin. Collar unscrews with a little persuasion...then I'm lost. Sad The square drive thing has threads, so I unscrew that and where I expected to see a hook on the bottom there's nothing... Question No cables pull out or anything. So I'm wondering how exactly do the heater cables attach? Or how do I get to them? I can't seem to find a diagram of this assembly anywhere. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!

hitest wrote:
The whole procedure took 2 mins. 44 seconds (including one overdue crotch scratch).
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to remove the knob from the base assembly.
The largest knurled ring below the knob holds the whole assembly in place.
You loosten the rear heater cables to free them up, unscrew the retaining ring at the base of the heater knob, and the whole assembly slides out.
The cable is looped through the assembly.
Held in place by the pin.
If the cable isn't there, check for the guide tubes under the seat.
You may have to clean out the tubes of any partial old cables and grease up and install a new cable. You guide both ends into the tubes from the front, and put the middle through the knob assembly and return the pin.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't one side slightly longer than the other, or does that depend on the year? The right side on my '65 is longer.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
Isn't one side slightly longer than the other, or does that depend on the year? The right side on my '65 is longer.

The longer cable always goes on the right side.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That figures. You can probably guess what I did. Very Happy

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biggestdaddyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
You don't need to remove the knob from the base assembly.
The largest knurled ring below the knob holds the whole assembly in place.
You loosten the rear heater cables to free them up, unscrew the retaining ring at the base of the heater knob, and the whole assembly slides out.
The cable is looped through the assembly.
Held in place by the pin.
If the cable isn't there, check for the guide tubes under the seat.
You may have to clean out the tubes of any partial old cables and grease up and install a new cable. You guide both ends into the tubes from the front, and put the middle through the knob assembly and return the pin.

AHA!!!! Thanks, it does appear to be jammed or rusted in place. Both ends are free at the heater box side, yet it's NOT sliding out easily. Tubes are there and look fine. In fact they look quite good for the entire length. It's just that the assembly is jammed in there. The knob turns freely though. I guess I'll hit it with more PB Blaster and tug some more. I guess I have plenty of time since it won't get cold here in San Antonio till......never Rolling Eyes

hitest wrote:
The whole procedure took 2 mins. 44 seconds (including one overdue crotch scratch).
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LittleThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
gotta use a walk-thru cable, which is different than a non-walk-thru cable, it's longer.
good luck finding a real one, seems like all the aftermarket ones are too short or are improperly marked as a "C" part number.
non-walk-thru cable (post-barndoor): 211 711 629 B (length 5715mm)
walk-thru cable: 211 711 629 C (length 5750mm)

My heater cables are about 3/4" too short to reach in my double cab. Is it possible for DC's to require the walk-thru heater cable? I assume I had the left and right sides correct cause they're both short by the same distance.
cha53r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the knob is screwed all the way in and not out, which would make the cables that much short. Sorry if you already figured that out but guess how I know that. Very Happy
SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a good solution for heater cables is to use braided nylon coated stainless steel fishing leader material (easy to come by here in Santa Cruz). When I first got my bus the heater cables were cut/broken off right at the end of the tubes. The tubes were pretty clear and I used some liquid wrench to blow the out the tubes after removing the heater knob. I cut a length of fishing leader material that would work and threaded each end down the 2 tubes and bent it to fit in the control knob. It has been working great ever since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LittleThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured it out. I had the cable pinned in 180 deg. off so when I put the whole assembly in the tube and got the index slot lined up, the cables were crossed keeping them from extending all the way. I should have thought of the fishing leader idea. I work at West Marine and sell the stuff all the time.
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good thread! My heater cables have not functioned as long as I have owned my bus. I have a 67 bench seat model and the ends of the cables at the motor have been sticking out far enough to attach to the heater boxes but that was it, no movement just constant heat which didn't bother me to much in the winter and in the summer I just disconnect them. Well now I would like a working heater system so I investegated the stuck cables and found that after removing the knob the cables were twisted up and broken off down inside the tube in the cab where the heater knob attaches! So, can anyone answer me this question - Does the heater knob spin some sort of threaded dealy inside the little barrel thingy to move the cables in and out or does the entire mechanism spin? Cause it looks like the whole thing has been turning inside there and twisting up the cables! Any help would be great. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the contol knob is threaded which causes the cables to move in or out. If the cable is twisted, it is probably stuck in the tubes. Get the old ones out, clean out the tubes and put a new cable in.

Arthur

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. In the process of removing the old cables as we speak!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the knob turns the threaded piece that pulls the cables up to open the heater boxes. The cables are pulled straight up by the knob.

If they broke, I agree - they were either stuck or someone took it apart at some point and got them twisted when putting back together. I've replaced a few cables and sometimes I have trouble keeping the front straight upon reassembly.

Cut off the ends by the engine before you pull the old ones out.

When you slide them back in sometimes you have trouble because the tubes underneath may have gotten bent from rocks or whatever and you have to figure out or measure where to find the spot in the tubes that needs a little fix. And you may have to take a braided cable like a cut off clutch cable and roto-rooter out the tubes so the new cables slide through easily.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Everett,
I spent some time this weekend with my heater cables! I was able to un-wind the twisted ends and pull the cables out from the engine end. I tried to pull them from the cab end but they would not budge. I was thinking of soaking the tubes with PB Blaster or equiv. and do some roto rooting before installing the new cables. The knob is not functioning and it must have been twisting the cables with every turn! So, I am hoping to buy one from a samba member this week and get this finished. Thanks again for the tips.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: