Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater Control Cables
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Control Cables Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Is it possibly bent somewhere 1/2 way? Maybe they hit something at some point or a rock jumped up and dented the pipe?

Throwing out other ideas...

Of course not sure how you would fix the dent without cutting it out and replacing it, unless you could nail-pull it or something.

Nope the tube looks really good, no damage or kinks. I think I am more inclined to modify the cable before hacking the original tube. Bus is fairly original. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Control Cables Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What would happen if you put a little bend in the ferrule and then tried? Maybe it would just be enough to go around the blockage but not too bent to pass along in the tubing.

Might be possible, but not sure if it would go through the smaller starting hole at the very front. Worth a try perhaps, easy to straighten if it doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Control Cables Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
BarryL wrote:
What would happen if you put a little bend in the ferrule and then tried? Maybe it would just be enough to go around the blockage but not too bent to pass along in the tubing.

Might be possible, but not sure if it would go through the smaller starting hole at the very front. Worth a try perhaps, easy to straighten if it doesn't.

I think you'd have trouble ensuring the bent part was poining the correct way to conform to the curve when it got to the blockage.

Might be worth trying to confirm if the blockage is solid (e.g. weld), or just really hardened gunk that the clutch cable couldn't clear?

Can you block one end of the tube, jack up the other end of the bus and pour solvent down the tube to fill it? Shouldn't take much solvent because the ID of the tube isn't huge.

Let it sit a couple of days, then maybe tie a small nut about halfway along a length of strong nylon string longer than the tube. Thread it in to the tube and get a friend to help pull it through and saw it back and forth at any restiction to see if it dislodges. I wouldn't pull too hard though in case the nut jams. If the string broke it might leave the nut stuck inside.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Control Cables Reply with quote

Hi all, several posts on here note that for non walk through buses, there are two cable lengths and that one side is longer than the other. IIRC it was the passenger side that is noted as being longer. But when I search, even WW shows only one length for a non-walk through bus- 5715mm and seems to indicate this is good for both sides. Can anyone clarify? Will ordering 2@5715mm work?

Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Control Cables Reply with quote

Yes, the passenger side is longer as the passenger side is further away from the control knob on the left side of a LHD Bus.

It's one long cable with a bend in the middle up front.

HEATER CABLE, 1955 (1955 Bus, starting at chassis # 20-117903) -1967 Bus, walk-thru models only, OEM, 5750mm
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211711629C

HEATER CABLE, 1955 (1955 Bus, starting at chassis # 20-117903) -1967 Bus, non walk-thru models only, OEM, 5715mm
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211711629B

Seals are nice too:
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111711691
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Control Cables Reply with quote

Oh! One long cable, now I get it. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: