Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Last Call for an Ice Box!! Also: Split VS Bay Ice Boxes
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Last Call for an Ice Box!! Also: Split VS Bay Ice Boxes Reply with quote

Hi all;

I am approaching the end of the 66 hardtop Westy restoration, and still no luck finding a correct ice box...(BTW any help locating one will be generously compensated in parts or cash and immensely appreciated).It is the only part missing, the last piece of the puzzle... I used to find them relatively easy, but have not been successful locating one in the last 6 months. Even though I hate the idea, I am starting to consider using a bay window one. Does anyone know if the general dimensions are somewhat similar among them? Comments? Ideas? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwspijlbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare items remain rare... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have access to a bench seat ice box that the owner wants to trade for a walkthrough one.

LMK and I'll get you in touch.
SBS #00
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baywindow ice boxes are taller, have a sink, a different liner and use a different grain pattern on the formica.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorse has been looking for one forever too. I'm glad I got mine!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a monkey wards unit, I pulled from a 63 american conversion. The door needs to be sanded and painted but the interior is top notch. It's not a westy unit though.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a propane/gas fridge I pulled out of a '62 Westy I'll be selling at BYOB.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Baywindow ice boxes are taller, have a sink, a different liner and use a different grain pattern on the formica.

Early Bay Westys (68-69?) have the same laminate pattern, a great source when fixing SO42 cabinets. Thanks Crofty and all for your input, please send me a lead if you know of one! (I forgot to mention that I have plenty of SO42 pieces/cabinets to trade for this damm ice box...) I think I'll wait a bit more and tryto find an OG one, there is always time to convert a bay ice box...Gracias.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did somebody say Ice box???
I need, need, need!!! Crying or Very sad
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

early bay westy stuff is very similar to so-42 but unfortunately early bay fridges are different enough in height (i know for sure) and possibly width to make it a complete PITA for the purist to cut down to size. As much as of a drag as it is I would keep looking for a so-42 fridge, the amount of cutting, hacking and mod'ing a bay window coldbox to pass off as a convincing so42 would be immense. Plus a lot of the pieces of wood are glued together making disassembly a pain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cris, I was in a yard out west recently, thought I might be able to find the piece for you but it was the one thing missing from the SO-42 that I looked at.... COuldn't remember if it still had the icebox or not, now I know. Sorry man. (Hey, it's the thought that counts, right? <g>)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your efforts dieselnut, I will hopefully get luckier during the upcoming show season, although who takes the trouble to transport an ice box to a swap meet??... Shocked
lorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cris torlasco wrote:
...who takes the trouble to transport an ice box to a swap meet??... Shocked

Hopefuly, anyone who has a spare to share.
gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: icebox Reply with quote

Ragman wrote:

gee rub salt in it ragman LOL....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: icebox Reply with quote

gearhead wrote:
Ragman wrote:

Lol Dennis! Actually, I've been watching for one for Lorse. You never know when one might turn up.
german_metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: icebox Reply with quote

Ragman wrote:
gearhead wrote:
Ragman wrote:

Lol Dennis! Actually, I've been watching for one for Lorse. You never know when one might turn up.

If I go to my basement and find mine missing, I'm coming over Ragman! Someday it will actually grace the inside of a Westy again.....

Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done deal. It is now in my garage. Near perfect SO42 bench seat ice box, with all handles, side table, pump, water tank, etc. Scored!!!!!! Very Happy
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you found one. now, i know where 2 are from 67 westy's. one is at the place i got Trouble, my 60 westy, in Oxford Alabalama, and the other is in Valdosta Georgia. the guy only wants like 350 for the whole bus, but it is rusty, and i think has been hit. both interiors in both of the buses are great. pm me if anyone wants info. i have pics of the bus in bama.

oh, and S.C.

i want that Montgomery ward icebox! Evil or Very Mad

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: icebox Reply with quote

gearhead wrote:
Ragman wrote:

Hmmmm, if we're rubbing salt, I guess I could mention the near-perfect one I had trouble *giving* away a while back...from an old roommate's 66, left at my house when he moved out...(but yes, it is gone now)
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no trouble finding later model camping units over the years for $40 or less; the older ones are a different story, though. Last spring, I finished a total restoration of my 1963 walk-thru and installed a nice looking Westvalia interior I bought for $15 from two women who had taken it out of their late 1970s camper so they could haul stuff. Just as in my 1957 bus, I had to shorten the closet; everything else fit fine, including the ice box. I used washers to move the eye bolts at the rear inward a little and drilled two small holes in the wall behind the front seat. I will try to take a picture of it and post it.
I will be going down to Bugorama from Chico this Saturday. I might put the 1963 camper in the car show. It will be the dove blue one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: