Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34HP engine to 60HP
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RIGHTHAND62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: 34HP engine to 60HP Reply with quote

im looking at buying a rebuilt engine it was a 1200cc the guy who built it says it now has about 60hp it that possible and he says he put a 200mm flywheel, ive read on another thread that you can put a 180mm flywheel on a 1600cc but its not recomended but that you cant put a 200mm on a 1200cc well i was going to put a pic of it in here but cant figure it out. any advise would be great
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bus in 66 was 6volt with 200MM clutch. availible without o-ring (early) and late 6volt 200MM clutch had o-ring.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have a big bore kit in it. I have a 1200 with a big bore kit and I think it comes outto be almost 1400 cc but not quite Rolling Eyes . I dont know how this translates to HP but it would be somthing to look into. the big bore kit just slips in too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIGHTHAND62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im pretty sure that the 1600cc AE motor has 60 HP. but not sure if a 1200cc can be built that much and be reliable.
RIGHTHAND62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if a 1200cc can be built to have 50-60 hp I know this pic doesnt help much cause what counts is on the inside.[img]http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7967352068&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting[/img] thanks for the help
RIGHTHAND62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well guess i screwed that up cant get a pic to post in here guess im to dumb to read the instructions on how to do it. oh well ill put one in my gallery
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a link to the auction - http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7967352068

That's about as hiperformance as you can make a 40HP, really. Small dual carbs is about all those small valve heads are worth. These look like dual H31/30PICTs, which is a pretty odd choice, I wonder if they even make linkages for that kind of setup that's something you'd have to custom make yourself. If you can put reliable linkage on them, if jetted and synched right, plus losing the straight-ratio rockers for at least later stock ones or higher, maybe a mild cam, and an extractor exhuast of some kind, and a 1385 would pull a lot stronger than a stock 1200. Would it pull the same as a stock 60HP 1600DP engine? I dunno...

andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIGHTHAND62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it says it has a solex 30pict carb, sport muffler, and sport cams thats how germans say anything thats not stock, i noticed that it didnt have linkage but thought that he didnt have it on when he took the picture, do you thing that is going to be a problem? or know where i can get a linkage for it with those carbs? if i dont get out bid the motor is going to cost me around $600 everything is new on it.
RIGHTHAND62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and thanks for the help Andy
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're quite welcome. As for the linkage, I've only ever seen one VW with dual stock solexes, which were 30PICT2-s on that particualar engine. The linkage was home-made, and sloppy. I really don't know how well some of those "universal" dual carb linkages would be adaptable to these carbs, which were set up for to be single carbs and not duals.

andy
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awalls wrote:
It might have a big bore kit in it. I have a 1200 with a big bore kit and I think it comes outto be almost 1400 cc but not quite Rolling Eyes

1385cc is what you'll get when you combine a 64mm stroke with 83mm p/c
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1385 in a 64 i had a few years ago, It sucked. It would overheat, & sieze occasionally. I don't know who put it together...
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a 36hp with turbo at bugin32. okrasa eater. 78hp was highest i heard from non turbo 36hp. i ran a 1385 40 hp back in early 70's/late 60's with dual 28pict's. never dynoed it. hed iskendarien cam.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All but forgotten now is fact that 69mm stock 13,15,1600cc crank will fit 40hp case... 40hp rods are used but are narrowed on the big end.. Bigger cylinders and spacers are used to get almost 1500cc???? Big deal HUH..All this sounds great but anything other than stock 40 hp is a weak foundation as the oiling system is inadequate, the internal case webbing weaker, smaller ports in the heats etc,etc..... It's a poor choice to build on performance or anything that will be driven regularly.. OOps I forgot to mention anyone building a 40hp stock or otherwise should consider the latest version cylinder head PN# 113101373D This head was only made in latter part 40 hp production and incorporates all the improvements over earlier examples, even cools just a tad better with redesigned cooling fins...... It looks just like the later single port heads, just smaller......... Save your time and $ use the later cheaper stronger parts Very Happy

Jim-
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, don't tell me not to drive my big-bore 40HP regularly! Very Happy I've had just about as good luck with them as I have with the DP's in my other bug. Now, slapping a big bore kit on, and making sure things are balanaced, using the good 65-only heads, and ditching the factory straight-ratio rockers for later ones, is about the extent I think you should go with them. There's no way I'd go for the 69mm crank upgrade though, too much hassle and not worth the effort.

It's actually the 1965-only heads that were the really good ones. they required longer upper studs too. After 1965, replacement heads sold by the dealer were set up with "short studs" but were more similar to the earlier 40HP heads as far as cooling fins.

The actual casting number you'll find on the good 65-only heads is actually 113 101 373.

for more info, read this thread where we went over a lot of the 40HP head stuff:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103248

andy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: