Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator Pump
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
travisrowland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Accelerator Pump Reply with quote

What are the signs, sounds, and symptoms of needing to adjust my Accelerator pump? I have a 34 pict-3 with a .009 dizzy running electonic points. When at idle, it will be smooth for a few seconds, then bottom out and pick itself back up. When I get in it and then slow down quickly, it wants to stall out, I tap the gas once and it will even itself back out. Could this be an accelerator pump issue?
1641dp
L-jetronic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symptoms of a bad accelerator pump will surface when you attempt to ACCELERATE...Meaning when you try to suddenly pick up speed, you open the throttle, but don't get get good squirt of RAW gas. Similar symptoms if the tube just isn't simply pointed straight down the carb. Try looking down the carb w/engine off, air cleaner removed, and pull the accelerator cable all the way quickly to open throttle. You should see (and smell) a squirt of raw gas from the tube pointing down into your carb. Good Luck.
Daily driver, 29 miles/gallon!!
SD, EC, OB.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator Pump Reply with quote

Hi Travis,
Do a full tune up on the engine. Then go to type2.com and get the tune up proceedure from the library there for your carb.
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator Pump Reply with quote

travisrowland wrote:
What are the signs, sounds, and symptoms of needing to adjust my Accelerator pump? I have a 34 pict-3 with a .009 dizzy running electonic points. When at idle, it will be smooth for a few seconds, then bottom out and pick itself back up. When I get in it and then slow down quickly, it wants to stall out, I tap the gas once and it will even itself back out. Could this be an accelerator pump issue?

Sounds like it could be a float valve issue. How do the plugs look? I agree on the do a full tune up. Replace eveything you can, and do everything to the book. The problem should cease to be.

-kf
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
travisrowland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: It is all for nothing now Reply with quote

Well, I did all that, drove around the block and it was stuttering, parked it to make an adjustment, and noticed that all the oil was pouring out on the driveway. I turned it off grabbed a beer and fought the tears. Looks like it is all going to come out now. I am so frustrated I decided that I am going to do a full rebuild, slowly and methodicly. Thanks for the advice though
1641dp
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: It is all for nothing now Reply with quote

Hi Travis,
Darn! Sorry to hear that. Oil cooler and FW seal leaks or even just blown out, can be caused by stuck oil pressure relief valve/s and/or incorrect relief springs, and/or too big of oil pump, and/or too thick of oil, and/or too much oil in the crank case. Would suggest fixing oil leaks again and examine oil cooler for swelled condition, if swelled replace. Then before starting the engine again install oil temp and pressure gauges. Oil pressure above 80 PSI is to be avoided!
We had an engine rebuilt by a very good shop. Installed the gauge senders and found at start up oil pressure too high and had to RPM is carefully to avoid 80 PSI limit. After fifteen minutes in 70 F weather at 3,000 RPM lowest oil pressure was 60 PSI. Turned out rear relief valve spring was aftermarket stiffer one!!
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L-jetronic wrote:
Symptoms of a bad accelerator pump will surface when you attempt to ACCELERATE...Meaning when you try to suddenly pick up speed, you open the throttle, but don't get get good squirt of RAW gas. Similar symptoms if the tube just isn't simply pointed straight down the carb. Try looking down the carb w/engine off, air cleaner removed, and pull the accelerator cable all the way quickly to open throttle. You should see (and smell) a squirt of raw gas from the tube pointing down into your carb. Good Luck.

I realize this discussion is for a 34 PICT but are the accel pump tubes for this carb and the 28 the same? I ask because mine goes out straight over the carb opening but doesn't go down into it. Should it go down or does the 28 have a different shaped accel pump tube?

I am trying to determine which way it should face. One person said straight over the butterfly. Another said something else.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator Pump Reply with quote

Certain 28 carbs have a "power fuel jet" in addition to the accelerator pump jet. The power fuel jet is a straight pipe.

Check these threads:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688551
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581974
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: