Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sapphire radio years
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
meinvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Sapphire radio years Reply with quote

I searched and saw a few with dates, but was wanting to find the years the sapphire 1 radios were available. Found one under the seat of a bus I just purchased. Also are the 1's rarer than the 2's, or is the 1,2,3 designation like a cheaper model vs a better model.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meinvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question to add. I see some with by bendix on them, this one does not have that. What is the deal with that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saphhire I is am only 1958-
Sapphire II is am/fm
Saphhire III is am only
Sapphire IV is am/fm
Saphhire V is am 1967-
Sapphire VI is am/fm
Sapphire VII is am/fm w/8 track

The models (even numbers) with am/fm are obviously more in demand and fetch a higher price.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
urbandweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that the am/fm Sapphire radios were not stereo. Just 1 channel/speaker?? How about the am/fm 8track??
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Sapphire IIIs primarily in 1966 year cars only.

I have owned a '65 with one but I think the original owner bought it later
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapphire I's first came out in 1960. There are actually 7 different models of Sapphire I's (and 3 models of Sapphire II's), depending on year and manufacturer, but there are only 2 main styles, 1960-61 and 1962-65. For the purist, there are minor differences in all of them. For example 1960-61 and 1962-63 models have ivory knobs and pushbuttons while 1964-65 radios have grey knobs and pushbuttons. Models 1960-1964 have Conelrad Civil Defence markings on the dials, later ones do not.

There is no difference in the actual radio between bug, bus, or Ghia. Usually there were differences in knobs, faceplates, bezels, speakers, and antennas. 1960-67 models will pretty much fit anything back to 58 if you have the proper faceplate. Ghias from 1962-66 used the same dash bezel that was used on buses. 1960-61 models included the bus/Ghia bezel as part of the radio, and these radios will also fit in oval dashes (and look quite nice).

All 1960 to 63 I's say Sapphire I by Bendix because they were only made by Bendix in those years. For 1964-65 they just say Sapphire I because both Bendix and Motorola made Sapphire I's in 1964.

AM-FM Sapphire II's & IV's & VI's were made by Bendix. Yes, they are mono only, but they do include a fader control for a rear speaker. AM-FM-MPX (stereo) wasn't available until the Sapphire XVI in 1971. 8 track units in 1967 and later were true stereo, but were never AM-FM, just AM and 8 track. Wow, I was probably really impressed with that in 1967.

Since radios were almost always dealer installed, it is quite normal to find cars where the original radio is a different year than the car. I.E. 1964 radios in 1965 cars, 1965 radios in 1966 cars, etc. The dealers were just using up their existing stock. And later owners put in whatever they had or could get.

Up to 1969 you can usually tell the year by the first digit of the model number - 0B is 1960, 1B is 1961, 2BG is 1962, etc. If it includes a B in the model number (like 0B) it was made by Bendix, if it includes an M (like 4TMV) it was made by Motorola. There is one exception to that rule where Bendix made a Sapphire II in 1965 with both a B and an M in the model (5FMBV). The model numbers are usually stamped into the left side of the case.

Sapphire I AM 6 volt (7 models) 1960-65
Sapphire II AM-FM 6 volt (3 models) 1962-65
Sapphire III AM 6 volt (2 models) 1966
Sapphire IV AM-FM 6 volt 1966
Sapphire V AM 12 volt (3 models) 1967
Sapphire VI AM-FM 12 volt 1967
Sapphire VII AM 6 or 12 volt 1969 (yes, 1969, not 1967) And why 6V or 12V in 1969?? Wierd ugly radio.
Sapphire VIII AM-8 track 12 volt 1967
Sapphire IX AM 12 volt (3 models) 1968-69 (including one that looks exactly like a 1967 Sapphire V, but the tag on the dial does say Sapphire IX - I think Motorola was using up their excess inventory V's - that one was only used in 1968 Type 3's)
Sapphire Playtape I & II 1968
Sapphire X AM-FM 12 volt 1968
Sapphire XI AM 12 volt (2 models) 1970
Sapphire XII AM-FM 12 volt 1970
Sapphire XIII AM 12 volt 1969 (yes 1969, not 70 or 71)
Sapphire XIV AM-FM 12 volt (2 models) 1971-72
Sapphire XV AM 12 volt (4 models) 1971
Sapphire XVI AM-FM-MPX (stereo) 12 volt (2 models) 1971
Sapphire XVII AM-8 track 12 volt 1971
Sapphire XVIII AM 12 volt (3 models) 1973-74
Sapphire XIX AM-FM 12 volt (2 models) 1972-75
Sapphire XX AM-FM-MPX (stereo) 12 volt 1972
Sapphire XXI AM-8 track 12 volt (4 models) 1973-74

After 1973 most radios did not carry a Sapphire designation, and the same radios were used in VW, Audi, & Porsche, with different knobs & faceplates.

Hope that helps. I'm tired, I hope I didn't have too many typos in the list. Smile
-Dave
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus

Last edited by dstefun on Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
meinvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dstefun, cut and paste into word, and I now have a manual to identify all the radios I come across!
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Bendix Sapphire Radios Reply with quote

Late to the part as always but some good if not entirely accurate info here .

The '65 & '66 were the only years with the gray knobs and push buttons .

These are actually pretty good radios and adding better speaker(s) and an amplifier will get you really good sound and as loud as your ears can handle .

Putting 12 volts through them or hitting with a hammer is about the only way to kill them .

It used to be no one wanted a basic AM radio so they'd go in the trash or be low co$t swap meet fodder, I doubt I ever paid more than $10 for a complete one with knobs and face plate, I used to put them into each and every old Bug I resurrected from the grave before selling them on .

What I no longer remember is : do these use a 4 or 8 ohm speaker ? .

Yes, it makes a difference .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bendix Sapphire Radios Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:

The '65 & '66 were the only years with the gray knobs and push buttons .

These are actually pretty good radios and adding better speaker(s) and an amplifier will get you really good sound and as loud as your ears can handle .

What I no longer remember is : do these use a 4 or 8 ohm speaker ? .

Yes, it makes a difference .

I have a grey button Sapphire II (am/Fm) from 63' , fairly sure the buttons are original.

What amplifier have you used that seems to work decent? Have you found a 6V one? I've actually found that many of the 12V power outlet bluetooth receivers / FM transmitters work on 6V . I got one with a voltage gauge built in so I can stream music on a 100% 6V system. if I could make it sound just a little better it would be amazing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2RTN5Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'm fairly sure all these old radios, at least the 6V ones, want a 4ohm speaker. If you look around you may find some cool old ones that have connections for 4 or 8 ohm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Bendix Sapphire Radio Trivia Reply with quote

Thank you Sir .

I was there then and we remember the details of most things VW .

My current daily driver is a '59 #113 and it has the cheapest MOTOROLA you could buy in 1958, no push buttons but a nice chrome faceplate .

I've not yet done any works to it, it does draw current and light up when I turn it on .

I'd like to get it working then decide is I want to replace with a Sapphire or Blaupunkt .

No, I don't have any idea what amplifier to use and yes, I too have discovered many modern 12 volt things work fine on a properly fettled 6 volt system .

Many don't grasp that Blaupunkt isn't a high end brand , not even way back when .

BECKER, OTOH was fine stuff indeed .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: