Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrection of the 3hippies and the green bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I havn't peeked in on this thread in a super-duper long time. I read the post above the post directly above mine and I was quite touched. To know that even a couple of years later people are still being affected by this adventure causes me to reflect on my own life a bit.

I want to thank any and all of you who I havn't met but who have read this story. I hope that someday when I'm a very old man, I'll overhear ( if I still got my ears on!) perhaps a conversation in a grocery store checkout line or some other innocuous place of three guys, a bus and a dude who needed some friends. Should I tell them I used to know that guy??
rickee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude you rock big time!

Is the video still in existance? None of the links in the original post work.

This is an absolute inspiration and extremely heartwarming to someone who is soon to have an experience that may be similar; having to get a battered 77 camper from one end of the country to the other. The country in question is the UK so We'll have to cop dodge a lot more but no way near as far to drive.

A while ago you (bottomend)asked if bikers felt a connection with the machine more through the buzzing and push of the mechanics than that "wind through your hair" claptrap. the answer is that yes, real bikers get the connection with the machineat a mechanical level and are hugely sensitiv to any new noise or vibration and if something does go wrong they'll usually know exactly what it is before they've pulled up on the hard shoulder. Its what separates bikers from people who choose two wheels for an adrenaline rush.

I'm very glad to hear that that connection can (and knowing me, will) be made with my bus Smile

Congrats to leader for getting hitched, may peace enfold your union and love fill your days. - and get another bus!
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update...

The video is now on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1qV5grbKX0

The pics are here: http://www.donimages.com/guacamolebus/photos/category.php?id=27
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "little" delayed but thanks for YouTubing these shark. I dont get around here much these daze..
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottomend wrote:
A "little" delayed but thanks for YouTubing these shark. I dont get around here much these daze..

Anything for you, Sire Grease.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow man!! I just finished reading everything and wow.....I really wanna go drive my bus now...and check my oil!!! Ausome story!!!
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo...did anybody here what happened to sonset. If its' for sale, I'll buy it. Can you just see how awesome it would be to go to a show in that bus! I don't think I would fix a thing. Just buy an old motor running on 3 cyl. Wouldn't want to ruin the historic value. What category should sonset by entered in. Any suggestions. No really, I would like to own this bus!!
81 Truck
papaphaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an epic story. Thank you so much for it. Bottomend you are a definite inspiration, and to the hippies: get a new bus. Hippies belong in a bus. My girlfriend has also been reading and if she wasn't hooked on vee dubs before, she is now. Scared, but hooked.
pwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for the annual random comment.

I just spent the past few days reading these two stickies and had to comment. This is a very moving story, really says a lot about everyone involved: Grease helping out some dudes he just met at a gas station for the better part of a month, people taking up a collection to help others they have only read about. Unreal. I just wish I could have been around here while all of this was going on. The suspense must have been too much, I was hanging on the edge of my couch when I read the last part. Actually, for a lot of parts now that I think about it.

Good to know that there are still people that care. Also good to know why 'Grease' is under Bottomend in his little author block or whatever that is. That struck me as odd shortly after joining here. He answered a question of mine and I was rather confused as to almost everyone else having 'Samba Member' but not him.

Phil
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 month old reply to random annual comment;

I've been going through some rough stuff the last year or so and I figured I'd just pop in here to see if there was any activity. Reading the kind words of the last poster and to know that I confused him... made my day. : ) Confusion leads to .....questions and questions lead to .....answers!
rigamarole16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottomend. Awesome. If i am ever in LA I may just come and see you.

man i want to go drive my bus
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, did anyone ever determine what exactly happened to the Bus? Can anyone call the Leader and find out who has it or what junkyard it's in? I'm about 2 hours from Springfield and Peoria and others are even closer. It would be cool to see that old bus resurrected! Someone call em...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AdamsFastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its been a long time since this thread has been bumped, but for the sake of the most amazing samba thread ever, this needs to be mentioned:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=407556

If a bus had worked that hard for me and had such a proud story I would've done whatever it takes to keep it...but life goes on and so does the green bus.
JQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read both stickies about the the green bus in ONE nite. 4 hours from beginning to end and am just completely speechless. Such an amazing journey and love to see such generous people help out with others needs. I wish I could have been a part of it but that wouldhave made me only 13 years old at the time.
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess in honor of the 10 year anniversary (kinda missed it by a month but whos counting...) of the hippy thread, I'd pop in here for a minute and say thanks ya'll and 'ello.
I still drive my bus daily and haven't stopped waving at clueless LA bus owners who still don't realize they are supposed to wave back (even though there seems to more of them around then there were a decade ago!!!!)

Still waving, bottomend
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are still driving your bus. I hope you are still playing and teaching music as well. Any videos of your music?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: