Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche wheels on type 3
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

Why can`t they be redrilled? And in case you missed my earlier post, ISP buys the hubs from CB Performance and marks them up.
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

CB has similar hubs and 914/6 rotors that can be BOUGHT in 5x130, you have to email them to buy, its part of one of their brake kits, not listed in their catalog separately., Hubs $120 ea, so a bit cheaper than ISPWests mostly non-usable ones.

The rotors should work great too if you already use them.

https://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4359

I'm trying to find some workable front aluminum hubs for BJ spindles...
Wilwood has a couple that might work, the way they dimension info they provide makes figuring that out a headache, or I might just weld some different spindle spuds in for a wider choice.

Wilwood omit the bearing dimensions and only provide their bearing/race part#s, so you can't just tell at a glance as proper drawings w/full dimensions would provide.

The rest of the dimensions are shown in a table as apparently their CAD program sucks, so they use the same drawing for all rather than have normal dimensions in the drawing.

You'd have to still drill for 5x130, they don't do custom, even if that is all they sell.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

Just wanted to clear up some misinformation in this thread.

ISP's chromoly hubs are ISP's chromoly hubs. Made specifically for us.

We currently offer 6 different hubs:

- 4x130 - LONG or SHORT AXLE

- 5x130 - LONG or SHORT AXLE

- BLANK (FOR YOU TO HAVE DRILLED) - LONG or SHORT AXLE

There are 8 holes in the 4x130 for either screw in stud or press in stud.

There are 10 holes in the 5x130 for either screw in stud or press in stud.

Here are the links (you can choose either short or long axle):

4x130 - http://www.vwispwest.com/GA-501581.html

5x130 - http://www.vwispwest.com/GA-501581P.html

Hope that clears it up.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
Why can`t they be redrilled? And in case you missed my earlier post, ISP buys the hubs from CB Performance and marks them up.

The 4 lugs with stud and threaded probably can't be redrilled due to interfering dual 4x130 bolt patterns.

Thought it odd they were only in the double 4x130, guess I should have browsed harder.

The source clarification is good to know, so ISP has the 5x130s available too, couldn't find them when I wanted to buy a set a few months ago, ended up drilling/studding OGs, which seem to work just fine.

I made them Porsche hubcentric and modded to center the 914 rotor, the CB units are the right diameter already as they are for 914 rotors. The hubcentric rings make a difference, and could be a decent plastic.

Are the ISP hubs OD sized to fit 914 rotors or are they stock diameter?
(from the pics I'd guess they are 914 size)

CB doesn't say if theirs are CrMo or cast iron.

If I was off roading I'd definately want CrMo hubs.
On a daily not as critical, but $40 more/pr might be worth it.
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

ISP 5x130 short axle hubs and billit bearing retainers with staggered Porsche steelies.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rauschenbach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

Here are my 15x6 Fuchs on my 65' Notchback.

Next project is a '69 Fastback. Anyone know if I can fit Fuch 16x7's on it all the way around and what is a preferred tire size for fronts and backs?

I am doing to do a Type 1 4-inch narrowed beam up front and disc brake conversion to 5x130 Porsche pattern rotors.

Thanks,

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

you'll need to post the wheel offset and understand that most here dont and wont use a type 1 beam on a type 3
rauschenbach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

Thanks. I am not stuck on the Type 1 beam and also looking at the AirKewld Type 3 Air ride kit: https://www.airkewld.com/Classic-VW-Type-3-Front-Air-Ride-Kit-1105-p/1105.htm

I'll look at the wheel offset tonight and post follow up message.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

That's very much a type one beam. Just has thru rods and air shocks, and the mounts are designed to bolt onto a type 3.

Super nice setup, but it's not at all based on a type 3 beam.
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

I have et52.3 6x16s on the front with 1" spacers (early 944T Fuch manholes)
...so that's roughly equivalent to et35.
...So 7s at et23 might work depending on the tire and ride height if you dig the classic 911 Fuchs or cookie cutters.

6s would be a better plan if you are baggin it, a late car can run 8s and 245s out back with some effort, but you'd need to tub the inner fenders to get ~any suspension travel with big rubber.
(This on a T3 beam, with bars and modded/revalved Bilstein small bodied coil overs, built to for idiot avoidance, not to drag the ground)

With 205-55s they fit well within the wheelwell and get full steering travel with no rub, but I'm not slammed, just a little below stock, maybe an inch and a half, I'm not riding on my bumpstops (and am running much larger progressive foam bumpstops which work extremely well, from late model Mustang)

Unfortunately the only way to be sure is try it.
rauschenbach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

It has a 23.3m offset. I think they are off a 944. Is there anything I can do to narrow the rear fitment at all? Is the ideal tire size 205/50/16? Thanks for the insight guys.
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

Factory original 16x6 Fuchs on my Ghia, short axles and tubes in the rear, stock T3 beam up front.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

rauschenbach wrote:
It has a 23.3m offset. I think they are off a 944. Is there anything I can do to narrow the rear fitment at all? Is the ideal tire size 205/50/16? Thanks for the insight guys.

Yes, you could move the hub bearings inward 2 inches, and get shorter drive axles (some use the short T-3 axle from an AT car). This will narrow up the rear of an IRS car, but, you might need to trim the bump stop bracket on the pan side.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche wheels on type 3 Reply with quote

Nothing as dramatic as most the options in this post, but I will be running 356 Lemmertz wide five steelies on my 64 notch.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: