Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yellow connectors in engine bay?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Yellow connectors in engine bay? Reply with quote

My 1990 Doka started running poorly about three weeks ago. It had a really rough midrange. Idle was fine and freeway running was bearable if I didn't have to increase throttle.

I called the mechanic I go to and he told me it sounded like a ground issue. He said to check grounds in the engine compartment. Then, the next time I drove it, it worked fine. In other words, the problem was somewhat intermittent.

Today I finally had a chance to check it out. As I was checking all connectors, I found a couple yellow plastic male/female type connectors up in the left top front part of the engine compartment. One has a single green wire at one end and two green wires siamesed at the other. The two wire end had all but broken off and the wires broke clean off when I moved the connector. I crimped on a new male spade connector and inserted it into the female.

The engine ran kind of rough for about ten minutes. Actually, it had just a hint of the old problem, not rough running but upon increased throttle demand it stumbled. After that, it started running beautifully. It seems to be running fine now. I'm hoping I fixed the problem...it seems I have.

I'd like to know what those wires do.

Thanks,
Chuey
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

Anybody know?

Chuey
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know. That connection is for sending the engine rpm pulses to the Idle Control Unit behind the right tail light. The ICU needs to know how fast the engine is turning so it can know whether to adjust it up or down to correct the idle speed.

The idle control system needs to be temporarily disabled for certain service reasons so they provided an easy connector for the technician to do so.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: