Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't Shift into 3rd or 4th Gear
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sooksooka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Can't Shift into 3rd or 4th Gear Reply with quote

Ever since I bought my 1966 Beetle I haven't been able to shift into 3rd or 4th gear. I have removed the coupling and attempted at shifting the hockey stick manually. It rotates but won't move forward or backwards to engage the gears. Any ideas what I could do before pulling the engine and transmission? 1st, 2nd and reverse have been working just fine.
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can't Shift into 3rd or 4th Gear Reply with quote

Have you checked the shifter coupling under the back seat. If you disconnect the coupling rod from the coupling you can then try to engage 3rd and 4th.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sooksooka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Can't Shift into 3rd or 4th Gear Reply with quote

Yes I disconnected the coupler but third and fourth still won't engage.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Can't Shift into 3rd or 4th Gear Reply with quote

With the shift rod unhooked there should be no reason you can't manually select those gears. so you might have some kind of transaxle issue.

Before you said you tried that, I flashed back to personal experience. Thrice upon a time, on my 66-frame Baja, I tried a "quick shift" kit, and ran into the same problem, could not adjust to get 1/2 along with 3/4 so just gave up and removed the kit. On the third attempt I decided I would figure it out. Turns out the opening in the tunnel up front was too narrow to allow for the altered throw with the kit installed and removing a little bit of metal on the sides of that opening was all I needed to do to make it work.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't Shift into 3rd or 4th Gear Reply with quote

Hi Ive same problem ,bought as a project last on road was 1988.
Pulled the nose cone off , with vise grips i can get reverse 1,2.

I think i can get 3rd but not without hitting the vise grips with a rubber mallet.
Is there adjustement somewhere.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: