Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon: Oil and Oil Filters
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Read your post, and its attachment, I dont see the refereance in the attachment allowing more zinc in heavy oils. you say it is from the horses mouth, do you have a page number this info is on in your attachment?

Once again:

Wildthings wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

On what page is the information on high zinc levels allowed on higher wieght oils?

thanks

Zinc and phosphorus are two ingredients of the ZDDP molecule which is the antiwear additive you want, not straight zinc. When the API requires or limits the amount of phosphorus in the oil they are automatically requiring or limiting the amount of zinc as the two are chemically tied together in the ZDDP molecule. If you have 1000ppm phosphorus you automatically have ~1100ppm by weight of zinc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZDDP
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Read your post, and its attachment, I dont see the refereance in the attachment allowing more zinc in heavy oils. you say it is from the horses mouth, do you have a page number this info is on in your attachment?

Once again:

Wildthings wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

On what page is the information on high zinc levels allowed on higher wieght oils?

thanks

Zinc and phosphorus are two ingredients of the ZDDP molecule which is the antiwear additive you want, not straight zinc. When the API requires or limits the amount of phosphorus in the oil they are automatically requiring or limiting the amount of zinc as the two are chemically tied together in the ZDDP molecule. If you have 1000ppm phosphorus you automatically have ~1100ppm by weight of zinc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZDDP

I am actually refering to this API referance that you quoted as the source for the info that higher wieght oils are allowed to run higher concentrations of zddp than the lower wieghts.

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/new/upload/1509techbull1complete.pdf

Do you have a page number from this referance? I have read over twice and cant find that info in the referance. I must be blind, computer screen induced eye strain.

thanks
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whehhhhhhhhh.......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Do you have a page number from this referance? I have read over twice and cant find that info in the referance. I must be blind, computer screen induced eye strain.

thanks

Did you look at the Wikipedia link I posted for you twice now? If you did you should be able to understand that both zinc and phosphorus are components of the anti-wear ZDDP oil additive. They are chemically bonded to form the ZDDP molecule, you don't get one without the other. If you limit the amount phosphorus in your oil you automatically limit the amount of ZDDP and thereby the amount of zinc.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

thanks

Did you look at the Wikipedia link I posted for you twice now? If you did you should be able to understand that both zinc and phosphorus are components of the anti-wear ZDDP oil additive. They are chemically bonded to form the ZDDP molecule, you don't get one without the other. If you limit the amount phosphorus in your oil you automatically limit the amount of ZDDP and thereby the amount of zinc.

Yes I looked at it thank you. But that is not what I am asking you about.

You posted......

"

Wildthings
Samba Member

Posted: Yesterday 8:44 am Post subject: Re: Seriously now...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any oil with a second number higher than 30 is not restricted in the amount of ZDDP (zinc) that can be added. People seem to do flips because modern 15w40, 5w40, 20w50 carry the SN/SM rating and they incorrectly think these heavier oils have no ZDDP as a result. In reality all motor oils are required to have some ZDDP (actually .06% phosphorus which translates to ~ .07% zinc) and the thicker oils may have as much ZDDP as the manufacture chooses to add.

The horses mouth:

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/new/upload/1509techbull1complete.pdf

"

What I am asking you about, is what is the information source you used in referance to you stating that....

"Any oil with a second number higher than 30 is not restricted in the amount of ZDDP (zinc) that can be added."

Is this information in the API referance that you posted?

i.e. "The horses mouth:

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/new/upload/1509techbull1complete.pdf "

I can't seem to find it in there.

Thanks in advance.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Go to page #10, Table G-4—Requirements for API Service Category SM and look under the "All Others" column

Go down to the ASTM D4951, phosphorus % mass, max row

You will find that the charts says NR at this point for Not Required, as in there is no maximum phosphorus limitation for the "All Others" heavier oils

The same info is on page #12 for SN oils
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone figgured out the purpose of the titanium additive in Castrol syntac's oil, does it replace the zinc??
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator note:
This thread has been left open because of the non-oil discussion, please keep oil discussions to the dedicated oil thread at:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220755
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Go to page #10, Table G-4—Requirements for API Service Category SM and look under the "All Others" column

Go down to the ASTM D4951, phosphorus % mass, max row

You will find that the charts says NR at this point for Not Required, as in there is no maximum phosphorus limitation for the "All Others" heavier oils

The same info is on page #12 for SN oils

got it, thank you

Also note that SN oils of heavy wieght (greater than 30) do have restrictions on zinc if the oil is rated as "resource conserving". These oils have as little zinc as the lighter oils (page 12 of API attachment)

So the selection process is not as simple as buying a greater than 30 wieght oil to be assured of high zinc levels. If the bottle lable states it is "resource conserving", even if it is 50 wieght, it will not have enough zinc for older engines, much like the lighter API rated oils lack.

So some heavier than 30 wieght oils are allowed to have more zinc than the lighter wieght oils. But not all 50 wieght oil will have enough zinc. The heavy oils are either not regulated or are regulated to the lower levels of zinc if resource conserving types.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Also note that SN oils of heavy wieght (greater than 30) do have restrictions on zinc if the oil is rated as "resource conserving". These oils have as little zinc as the lighter oils (page 12 of API attachment)

So the selection process is not as simple as buying a greater than 30 wieght oil to be assured of high zinc levels. If the bottle lable states it is "resource conserving", even if it is 50 wieght, it will not have enough zinc for older engines, much like the lighter API rated oils lack.

So some heavier than 30 wieght oils are allowed to have more zinc than the lighter wieght oils. But not all 50 wieght oil will have enough zinc. The heavy oils are either not regulated or are regulated to the lower levels of zinc if resource conserving types.

Yes there are a few oils with second numbers higher than 30 that may have regulated phosphorus, but these are not the norm, there are not going to be a wide selection of energy conserving oils on the shelf at your local Walmart. Most energy conserving oils are probably either 0w40 or 5w40 oil, though there may also be a 10w40 or two. As far as I know there are no xxw50 energy conserving oils. It pays to research whatever oil you are buying regardless. Wink All energy conserving oils should be marked as such.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched to 5w50 last weekend. It's been sitting for a while and the lifters are stuck. Couldn't get my lifters "unstuck" but I never took the bus out on the road. Hopefully once the detergents do their thing and/or I take it out on the road it will pump back up.

It did this with the heavier oil also if I let it sit too long, but it would usually pump back up after idling for a while. Engine has 175k.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, reading TheSamba helps; sometimes it just leads to more confusion.

So, am I going to kill this 84 with Castrol High Mileage 20W-50 and a Fram filter or not?

Live in Las Vegas. Oil plug came loose after our non-stop return trip from San Francisco, so I changed the oil yesterday with what was available. Just completed a 1,700 mile trip. Plug was loose and leaking, but oil level was OK.

I'll get a stock of the Mann/Mahle filters soon, but is it an urgent issue to change it or not? I read about one owner who uses them exclusively. I can't imagine putting 3K on it any time soon.

Do I also need to order a few bottles of ZDDPlus or not? Can I just add the Red Line engine break in ZDDP stuff for now? I could probably get that locally.

After reading all the threads, my mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative ways to possibly kill my engine.

Thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20w50 is probably thicker than your need, but it isn't going to hurt anything either. A lot of people run it.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Castrol 20w50 & a Fram filter year 'round in a climate similar to Lost Wages. I do not use ZDDP in this engine.

Been doing this for 24 years w/o any issues. IMO, you can overthink the whole oil/oil filter thing.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERY vanagon I've had that had the death buzzer going off, fixed it when I put a MANN filter on it, and removed the Quick Lube or FRAM filter that was on there. Though I did have one switch go bad.

The filter issue is a very common problem, don't overlook it. IMO you are crazy to use a non-Mann/Wix filter knowing this problem is out there.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Surfy Murphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used this oil in their vanagon? They claim high ZDDP, and have a couple oils that are formulated for old volks and porsche engines. I'm curious, though I've been using Rotella T synthetic 15-40W without any issues.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/dt50-synthetic-15w-50html/
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfy Murphy wrote:
Has anyone ever used this oil in their vanagon? They claim high ZDDP, and have a couple oils that are formulated for old volks and porsche engines. I'm curious, though I've been using Rotella T synthetic 15-40W without any issues.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/dt50-synthetic-15w-50html/
The Rotella 15w40 is a Dino oil..The Rotella 5w40 T6 is a synthetic.

Both are fine in a Vanagon.

Use a Mann or Malhe oil filter..it solves a lot of problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up some schaeffers supreme 7000 20w/50 synthetic plus. Says w extra zinc which some of you say is needed or beneficial. I have a newly installed rebuilt top and bottom 2.1 WBX.

Some have said synth, some non synth. Seems to me synth for what I've read posted but my mech said a Mobil 1 delvac non synth was the way to go.

Should I go to Wally World for the M1? The Schafer is expensive but I need to treat her well. We have a long way to go yet.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I do it right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Photos? Maybe?
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

designer wrote:
Did I do it right?

Photos? Maybe?

The Schaeffer oil is very robust..PAO (group IV), ZDDP and moly.

The big question is in that this is labeled as a "racing" oil, it may not have the detergents most engine oils have for long term use. "Racing" oils are changed frequently and don't typically need a detergent/additive package.

Most HDEO (Heavy Duty Engine Oil like Rotella or Delo) or PCMO (Passenger Car Motor Oil like you would see at any FLAPS) go 5000 miles or more. "Racing" oils less than a 1000 miles.

I would suggest you contact Schaeffer and ask them if the "racing" oil is suitable for road use.

Most HDEO products are just fine in a WBX. If you want big ZDDP numbers, near synthetic oil (group II+) and an excellent additive package..use Delo 400LE 15w40.

I use Rotella T6 synthetic 5w40 in my WBX year round with no issues.

See the link below for the specs on Delo.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May%202013/chevrondelo.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: