Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 brown metal dash paint color
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

Have searched 10 pages of posts already. I have an 84 Westy that has the metal top part of the dash with the padded vinyl front part.
Has anyone found a good paint that matches the metal part of the 84 dash? The vinyl is good. Just need to refurbish the top metal portion.
thanks in advance
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

GoWesty sells brown:
https://www.gowesty.com/product/paint-prep-/24424/interior-paint-?v=

More info in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703894

I repainted my dash with Rustoleum Satin Dark Brown #241239. It's lighter than the factory brown, but looks good enough and it's an easy off-the-shelf option.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

i have looked around too. seems that it's a crap shoot to find the right brown (bu dun tiss)

seriously, i'm going to color map mine with my azko nobel dealer. they actually sell interior colors with the right gloss level so it's not so in your face.

you can also send SEM a sample and they will mix what you need. there is a fee (which i forget how much it is) but it's dead nuts when they are done

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestions.
Have you used the GoWesty brown? Do you know what brown in the Vanagon it would closely match? Is it a close match to the brown of the metal part of the dash?
Did you use the rattle can Rustoleum or brush on? Did you leave the vinyl part unpainted? If so, how does the rustoleum brown compare with the brown of the vinyl?
Thanks again!

erste wrote:
GoWesty sells brown:
https://www.gowesty.com/product/paint-prep-/24424/interior-paint-?v=

More info in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703894

I repainted my dash with Rustoleum Satin Dark Brown #241239. It's lighter than the factory brown, but looks good enough and it's an easy off-the-shelf option.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

Thank you
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i have looked around too. seems that it's a crap shoot to find the right brown (bu dun tiss)

seriously, i'm going to color map mine with my azko nobel dealer. they actually sell interior colors with the right gloss level so it's not so in your face.

you can also send SEM a sample and they will mix what you need. there is a fee (which i forget how much it is) but it's dead nuts when they are done
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

Personally, if it's not going to be an exact match, I think I'd just paint the metal part satin black and leave the pad brown.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
Have you used the GoWesty brown? Do you know what brown in the Vanagon it would closely match? Is it a close match to the brown of the metal part of the dash?
Did you use the rattle can Rustoleum or brush on? Did you leave the vinyl part unpainted? If so, how does the rustoleum brown compare with the brown of the vinyl?
Thanks again!

I haven't used the GoWesty brown, hopefully someone else will chime in.

I used rustoleum in the rattle can, and my dash is early, so no vinyl cover. Just metal. Sorry I can't be more help!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

I have a thread where I spent more money than I should have on brown rattle cans.

Not one of them did it.

I ended up mixing my own which matched far better than anything I purchased.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

erste wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:
Thanks again!

I haven't used the GoWesty brown, hopefully someone else will chime in.

I used rustoleum in the rattle can, and my dash is early, so no vinyl cover. Just metal. Sorry I can't be more help!

Does yours have the metal on the upper part of the dash and then the vinyl cushy part down off the front (not towards the front of the car but the side towards the driver/passenger)?
And you have been of assistance, thanks.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:

Does yours have the metal on the upper part of the dash and then the vinyl cushy part down off the front (not towards the front of the car but the side towards the driver/passenger)?

It does have the cushy part, but it was painted black, so I painted it brown too.

Here's an old pic after I painted it. All the plastic was painted too.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a pic I just snapped:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

erste wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:

It does have the cushy part, but it was painted black, so I painted it brown too.

Here's an old pic after I painted it. All the plastic was painted too.

Here's a pic I just snapped:

That looks really nice. You painted the vinyl part with the rustoleum rattle can, too? How long ago? How is it all holding up?
Thank you
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

About three years? Same paint on the rubber part, yes, and it's holding up fine. Obviously I primed the dash and plastic parts first. When I went out earlier to snap a pic I squished the rubber and you can't really even tell it's been painted. No flaking or anything, but that piece isn't in a wear area anyway.

Also, the PO painted the steering wheel black with vinyl paint, and it's held up incredibly well. This thread reminds me that I need to paint it brown, and it looks like SEM sells Bluebird Brown and Cordovan brown that might be decent matches.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

erste wrote:
About three years? Same paint on the rubber part, yes, and it's holding up fine. Obviously I primed the dash and plastic parts first. When I went out earlier to snap a pic I squished the rubber and you can't really even tell it's been painted. No flaking or anything, but that piece isn't in a wear area anyway.

Also, the PO painted the steering wheel black with vinyl paint, and it's held up incredibly well. This thread reminds me that I need to paint it brown, and it looks like SEM sells Bluebird Brown and Cordovan brown that might be decent matches.

Did you prime the metal, plastic and vinyl with a Rustoleum spray primer?
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I have a thread where I spent more money than I should have on brown rattle cans.

Not one of them did it.
Dave

What kind of paints did you mix?
thanks
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Not one of them did it.
Dave

thanks

I don't remember what kind of primer I used, but nothing special.

Here's a link to djkeev's paint recipe:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7375599&highlight=paint#7375599
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 brown metal dash paint color Reply with quote

erste wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Not one of them did it.
Dave

thanks

I don't remember what kind of primer I used, but nothing special.

Here's a link to djkeev's paint recipe:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7375599&highlight=paint#7375599

Awesome, thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: