Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinders loose in bore...help!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BearBroth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Cylinders loose in bore...help! Reply with quote

I just took my brand spanking new aluminum case to a local parts house/machine shop to have it machined to accept a set of 94's. This is my first performance, top to bottom, VW engine build I've ever done so I am not very knowledgeable as to what to expect. For starters, #3 cyl, had a gouge on the bore itself, apparently from where the cutter had come to a stop. I am aware that this is not where sealing takes place, but I'm not sure if other side affects may come from it (i.e. oil seepage). Next, I'm aware that cutting it for 94's is gonna bring the bore very close to the case savers, but how close is safe? Furthermore, the upper savers have about 1.5mm of "meat" away from the bore, while the lower savers...well I can see their "shadows" through the aluminum. Is the bore off center and what are the effects? And lastly, when I got the case to the shop, I tried to slip in one of the cylinders, and there is about .015 of an inch of slop between the cylinder and the bore (the cyls actually move around in the bore)...now I'm no seasoned veteran, but that can't be right...can it? I know it's a long post, but can someone help me before I go back to the shop with my concerns? They're the only folks around specializing in Vw's so my options are limited. Thnx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: why oh why? Reply with quote

Why the machine shop bored to 0.015 clearance, I have not a clue.

You only need about 0.002 to stick the barrel in, and that clearance is loose.

Maybe they thought that it will cool better? Cool

Just kidding man.

It is not unusual to see machine work like this. This is about the norm. If you do not tell them what you want, you will not get it. You are pretty much at their mercy. Take it will a little grain of salt.

One thing though is when you put a lot of miles on this motor, you do not have to do anything special when you take it apart. Just unscrew the head nuts and the engine should disassemble itself practically.

It is fine man. You can use it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danimal
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is typically a tiny bit of slop with the jugs in the bore, but that gouge sounds kinda disturbing to me.

do you ever get over to dallas? call up kelly at the bug stop(?) next time, i wouldn't use your local vendor for any more machine work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: