Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bamboo parcel tray install
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

I have one of those Bamboo Parcel Trays. It came with the "L-brackets" and sheet metal screws to install it.

My question - do you just screw it into the body with these, or is there a way to mount it that doesn't require screwing these new holes into the metal body?

Also - do you just screw it up into the bamboo tray frame and then into the body - allowing the bracket to be seen underneath, or has anyone screwed the bracket into the body 1st (upside down) and then screwed it into the parcel tray to hide the bracket behind the tray?

Am I over-complicating this?
I like Fast Cars, Young Women, and Easy Money --- Funny --- Bugs seem to get me NONE of this!
volks67beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was covered a while ago and I actually found the topic...usually I can't find it when I try to search...
The actual thread is

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101438&highlight=parcel+tray

the one on my 67 installed like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but that isn't on my bamboo tray.

I could attach something like that somehow though...thanks for the idea.
I like Fast Cars, Young Women, and Easy Money --- Funny --- Bugs seem to get me NONE of this!
Kel Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the two L brackets screwed directly into the body metal and a zip tie going around the steering collum and holding the tray up. The zip tie is about halfway down my steering collum attaches near the rear frame of the tray, hardly noticeable. The L brackets just arnt strong enough to hold the tray, not the wolfsburg west one atleast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kais Collection Premium Member
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it like this.
Took 2 pieces of aluminum (one for each side), drilled 2 holes in each and put the bolts in. By twisting the bolts you can make the rack sit tight. The rack rests on the lower bolt. Can use a shorter upper bolt, but didn't have it lying around. And just like Kel Dub I used a zip tie going around the steering collum and holding the tray up.

Good luck!

Kai's Collection - vintage treasures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonassunshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

Mine for the bus and the bug neither came with any brackets or screws I think I'll just use bailing wire and duct tape
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

I secured my bamboo parcel shelf in my '67 bug without brackets by applying sellf-adhesive velcro tape on the edges and wedging it place. The velcro hook fabric adheres to the interior carpet. As long as you don't keep heavy objects on it, it will be fine (at least mine is).
nreslifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

I just let the sides rest on the side like in the photo and used a zip tie around the steering column to hold the front of tray up and forward works ok.Really wanted to avoid drilling any holes for the sides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EODTECH*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

Mine is the tray that just has the brackets weaved in w/the bamboo, and came with 2 screws. No other hardware. So obviously it's meant to be held in by the pressure from those 2 screws. Problem is...I can't find the screws. Anybody happen to know off hand what SIZE...they are? I guess I could measure the hole and do a hit and miss at Home Depot rifling thru their metric ones...
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

I used magnets, so no drilling holes.
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Magnetics-Round-Base...mp;sr=8-12
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

I drilled no holes, and just have a few zip ties where the tray meets up against the car. Unless you are down under the dash looking, it is not noticeable, and no holes. Holds up great. The ties on the trunk release are probably not necessary, but just an extra precaution.

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

I just replaced my old one with a brand new one this morning.
To install it, I used heavy duty twist ties and 2 screw hooks. which I screwed on the top of the frame in the area where it lines up to the steering column. I twisted heavy duty twist ties around the hooks and draped the twist tie over the steering column.

[quote="nreslifer"]I just let the sides rest on the side like in the photo and used a zip tie around the steering column to hold the front of tray up and forward works ok.Really wanted to avoid drilling any holes for the sides.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

The bamboo tray looks nice and fancy but are worthless for me. the do not hold stuff as it fall thru the webbing. I decided to make my own which is more usefull.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

That's pretty neat!!!!

gt1953 wrote:
The bamboo tray looks nice and fancy but are worthless for me. the do not hold stuff as it fall thru the webbing. I decided to make my own which is more usefull.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo parcel tray install Reply with quote

The parcel tray is easy to make, the cup/coin holder came from a mid 90's Ford Taurus.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: