Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Was there a "stock" VW radio option for the 1973 T
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it, ther are not very long, and there is a lot of room back there. It is only recessed enough so it doesnt interfer with the door operation.
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Places to put speakers.....

When sitting in the driver's seat....in front of the door and to the front of the car there is a 'cubby' (by the inner fender well if I can call it that) that with the help of a plywood cut-out will house a 6.5' speaker very nicely. I think the Thing Shop sells them prefab. Same idea, in the rear parcel shelf area, on the sides there is a little cubby that you can fab a speaker holder, or again the Thing shop sells them too. If you have a roll bar, some people mount them to the bar. I installed my amps under the front seats so one can't see them, and my sub is in a box on the parcel shelf. Some people install a sub-tube style set up under the rear seat (I believe easier if the Thing is a 73 with no heater outlets to use up room.

But seriously....I bought mostly used equipment and not top end stuff....what's the use...it will either get stolen and with the Db of the Thing...ya can't hear it clearly....unless you're 18 and have something to prove Wink
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

its a cheap thing shop radio caddy, set back for the rain. the radio is a kraco am/fm cassette CB!!! it eats cassettes! the radio gets NO reception! i havnt bothered to test/dial in the CB...

...if anyone has a link to the "vintage radio rebuilders" i would love to give them my business!!!...
sammys3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Want to do the radio mod like Towel Rail has! Reply with quote

That is awesome!!! Just got my Thing last week...would love to do this modification too.
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amishman wrote:
This is the radio I just won on eBay and will be installing in my Thing. I had been looking for a Sapphire but found this Sharp picnic radio from the 1970's that was a good fit both by year and also would fit under my dash. I like the picnic radios that can be used both in and outside of the vehicle so this will be cool to take on Thing road trips.

It has a neat dock the radio locks into and connects to the antenna, power, and even speakers if I wanted. Should look nice in my Thing.

tj

I have just found an old Telefunken that was used on Beetles in the 50-60s. 6VDC or 220VAC!
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one just like the one in the picture that's going in my '66 Beetle. I think it's out of a '72.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
wfg97079
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: anyone? Reply with quote

Love the look of this, anyone know anything about this speaker box?
MercurialThing wrote:
I don't mean to derail the thread, but it's semi related. I have a VW Speaker that I believe came with the car, but I don't know much about it. Is it stock? It was made in Japan, so I'm not entirely sure.

Here are a couple pics:

Anyone seen a speaker like this?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there a "stock" VW radio option for the 1973 T Reply with quote

Made by Motorola for VWoA. Was for the rear of Beetles but used sometime at the dealer. The speaker for the Thing was a cast metal housing with a + design in the center and mounted to the right of the tunner by your feet. If you go to the Technical area on the Samba under Things you can find a picture and install info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: