Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

White roof Buses...Option?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: White roof Buses...Option? Reply with quote

I know there are some SWR/CB 23 with white roofs but has anyone seen or know if white roofs came on some Westys? There is a 59 Dove blue westy that Colome is selling with white roof. There is a SO 33 in Seattle with white roof. And my 64 Light Grey SO 34 had a white roof also. I will try to scan old pic I got from previous owner showing clearly the drip rail down being light grey while the roof is definitely white. It seems to be a Westy thing? Or even more specific, a subhatch thing as Colome's is a SO23, Seattle's is a SO33, and mine is a SO34. Here is the Seattle SO33.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a link to Colome's white roof Westy.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=664540
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '55 westy had a white roof

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...spray paint Laughing
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that a white roof was simply a special order option. Any bus of any configuration could get a white roof. Generally considered for hot climates?
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
I was under the impression that a white roof was simply a special order option. Any bus of any configuration could get a white roof. Generally considered for hot climates?

I am gonna say no, unless you have an M-code to back this up.
Is there og paint under the white? If there is well that kinda shoots
the theory in the foot or makes it harder to actually prove or disprove.

My father was a "van guy" back in the `70s though he was a ford-dodge-chevy guy not vw's. One thing I remeber, and I was just a little kid at the time, he ALWAYS painted the roofs of all of his vans white no matter what the color was originally. He did it to try and keep the vans cooler in the hot and sunny summer months. Dunno if it ever helped as I remember cooking in the back of those damn things. That is probably what many folks out west did to VW's as well.

I have yet to see any westy that was obviously nice original paint that had a factory painted white roof and I have done auto painting for a living the past dozen years. I would have to see one in person or an M-code or some documentation like that to convince me.
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youre right it would be awfully hard to prove or disprove..as there would always be the body color under the white, like the top half of a two tone bus.

There is a question about this in the barndoor photos thread in the BD section.

I dont know if this thread is relevant.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114908&highlight=white+roof+option
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you play detective as well, look at Thom's bus.
That is pretty solid white paint on that roof.
Compare that to the og dove blue on the sides
and doors, it is baked off down past the primer
and has been rusting for a long while, yet the white
is very solid and intact. If that white was factory it
would be in much much worse condition then the factory
dove blue on the sides of the bus that does not see
the intenstity of sun and heat the roof would have.
Things like that help prove againist the theory as well.
Samba Member #95
bloovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tent envy....
Embarassed
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it to much of a coincidence that there is a handful of subhatch westy's with white roofs. Previous owner swears that the roof was never painted. There is a 2 year period from 64-66 that I do not know the history of my bus. So there is the possibility that it was painted by first owner in the first two years of existence. Will get my light grey pics up later and you can be the judge. I am hoping I can tell better once I look at subhatch and surrounding area very closely this weekend. Oh yeah my pic is from the seventies and bus shows absolutely no fading or sun cooking. Who cares what someone did with their shit ass Chevy or Ford van.
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a M-code for white roof? I did not see one. I have an unidentified M-code that could possibly be it.
It would sure seem you would see all kinds of busses with white roofs if you follow Sled and Bastardbus theories. But what I have found is subhatch has the highest number of white roofs.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont necessarily think you would see 'all kinds of buses' with white roofs under my theory of it being a special option. I doubt there would be THAT many folks who would order a white roof.

There are a couple very early barndoor deluxes with white roofs, and some later swr/cb deluxes that do as well. Of course they could just be painted by the owner for their preferences.

a friend of mine has a 59 dove blue kombi that he pulled out of hiding where it sat for 35 years. It has a white roof as well, of course this could have been painted by the PO.
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it scanned in. Definitely white.
Mowser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to agree that it was an after thought done by owners for heat. Why so many westies with that paint scheme would make sense too as those are the buses that people were trying to stay cool in for entire camping trips. Every bit helps or at least the thought was that it did.

cdennisg wrote:
If I was in this for big money, I wouldn't be in it.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
Finally got it scanned in. Definitely white.

Oh look, it has the rare factory painted air scoups as well!

I bet this was one of those M-code packages which
contained the white painted roof, color matched air scoups and red
reflective tape as well... Laughing
Samba Member #95
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at any collection of vintage splitscreen bus photos, you'll see a very high percentage of white roofs on buses. Especially commercial buses.
Not sure where the white came from, but it was VERY common back in the day. I'd guess dealer and owner painted, not factory, but I have no information to prove it, other than photos of factory buses being shipped.
Do any of the factory shipment photos show white roofs? I can't recall seeing any.
Some of the very early Westies had the lower color, upper beltline color, and roof painted the lower color.
Like this:

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
If you look at any collection of vintage splitscreen bus photos, you'll see a very high percentage of white roofs on buses. Especially commercial buses.
Not sure where the white came from, but it was VERY common back in the day. I'd guess dealer and owner painted, not factory, but I have no information to prove it, other than photos of factory buses being shipped.
Do any of the factory shipment photos show white roofs? I can't recall seeing any.
Some of the very early Westies had the lower color, upper beltline color, and roof painted the lower color.
Like this:

Ok I was waiting for that one... Laughing

That is NOT a white painted roof bus. That is a bus delivered to Westfalia in factory primer. It was then painted at Westfalia in their own color schemes. That bus is like a beige ivory on top, sliver blue in middle and beige ivory again on bottom. This was only done to very early westfalias to about `58. These buses are M-coded for factory primer only and the interiors are even brush painted in the tan westfalia paint! Greg and Lind can verify this info for you.

I actually owned a very early `58 westfalia that was done in this paint scheme. In fact I remember way back in the day schooling greg-campingbox on this when he just bought his `56 westy. He found it hard to believe me when I told him that tan brushed paint inside of his westy was factory...of course now it is common knowledge with westy guys.
Samba Member #95
Doubledoor Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Like this:

This is from the recent Life Magazine/Google photos. Not a Westy or from a factory shipment photo, but real early, August 1951.
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=a544...ie%3DUTF-8
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoon1 wrote:

This is from the recent Life Magazine/Google photos. Not a Westy or from a factory shipment photo, but real early, August 1951.

Like you said, it is not a westy so I don't know what that has to do with this thread, nor does that picture prove a factory painted white roof.
Rolling Eyes
Samba Member #95
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the '51 deluxe buses had a three tone paint scheme.
the westfalia painted buses had the two tone scheme with the roof being painted the same color as below the beltline.
those cases are well known and documented. the life pictures are august '51 I believe. there are many period pictures of the westfalia painted early westies, and I don't think that more than a couple hundred of them ever even existed. less than ten are known to exist today.

I have never seen anything convincing on any other buses. I have seen several buses that had their roofs painted white later in life, but the paint quality was obviously not VW factory. I would be very surprised to see anything that was VW factory paint with a white roof (other than a pearl white bus of course... Wink )
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Levonbenelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the PO of my subhatch painted the roof white.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: