Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transmission
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwthingrcer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: transmission Reply with quote

yes i was looking around and i saw a looker for your tranmission for you can lcok it for off roading where is the site that i cna find one of these?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission Reply with quote

vwthingrcer wrote:
yes i was looking around and i saw a looker for your tranmission for you can lcok it for off roading where is the site that i cna find one of these?

I've heard of limited-slip diffs for older VW's, but I've only heard of locking diffs in relation to the Touareg. Have you driven a vehicle with locking diff's before? Are you aware of the hazards? Not trying to rain on your parade, but it's no fun to be stranded on the trail with a broken axle. Crying or Very sad

— Spalding
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

open your wallet. if you see at least a thousand clams in there not doing anything, send a pm to bruce. he will hook you up with a limited slip diff.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
vwthingrcer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought i herd some where the thing tranmission had a limmited slip diff on it i might be wrong
can i put a syncro tranmission on my thing to give it 4x4 capibilities
tahnks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the military issues had LSDs, but it's very unlikely yours does. What you are probably hearing about is not a locking diff, but a solid spool, which you can not unlock for the drive back home. If you are going offroad I'd look into an LSD. A couple years ago the expensive ones were $600, the cheapies $450. I'm sure they're more now.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwthingrcer wrote:
i thought i herd some where the thing tranmission had a limmited slip diff on it i might be wrong
can i put a syncro tranmission on my thing to give it 4x4 capibilities
tahnks

Here's what I read on Hanno's VW 181 Facts and Figures page:

Quote:
The limited slip differential was built by ZF and was an optional
feature on the type 181. Reportedly, the examples going to the
German Frontier Guard and the Civil Defense had them as standard,
but those for the German Army did not. Possibly the Danish Army
181s did have them. It is possible that the limited slip
differential was not offered on all markets.
Part # 181-300-043 is a limited slip transmission with swing
axles, and can only be used on those cars with the reduction
gears at the axle ends. Option code is M 220 (there is also an M
220 option, part # 211 517 025, for the type 2).

The ZF limited slip differential works by means of friction plates, which eventually wear and become ineffective.

I have also seen advertised a limited slip differential made by Quaife. (pictured) At $1065, they must be very proud of it. Shocked It uses a system of gears to deliver torque to the wheel with the best traction, and its makers are so confident in it that it is warranteed even if the vehicle is raced.

The advantages that a Quaife differential would provide off-road can be had for a fraction of the cost by means of dual e-brake levers. When one wheel starts to spin, you apply the brake on that wheel, which makes the diff send torque to the opposite wheel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Limited slip differentials are not the same thing as differential locks. As we all know, aside from delivering torque to the drive wheels, the purpose of the differential is to allow the drive wheels to spin at different speeds. The reason for this is that during cornering, the inside tire travels a shorter distance than the outside tire. If not for the differential, not only would the tires have a tendency to scrub the ground in cornering, but incredible forces would be introduced into the axles and differential which could cause failure of those components. (This phenomenon is often referred to as wind-up.) While the differential protects the driveline from wind up, the unhappy side effect is that when one wheel loses traction and spins, the other one stops. Limited slip differentials can help mitigate that somewhat, but for serious offroading the real deal is a locking differential. When locked, the differential action is bypassed, and the axle halves are mechanically connected, and spin as one. Torque is equally distributed to each wheel. Lockers should only be used off road, and then only sparingly, or one is likely to find himself with broken spider gears or a twisted axle. Exclamation In this world of ubiquitous marketing hype, manufacturers of SUVs are playing fast and loose with the terminology by referring to limited slip differentials as locking differentials. But locking differentials are not to be confused with differential locks! In any case, I have never heard of a true difflock system, OEM or otherwise, for the VW transaxle. Although I wonder if an ARB locking diff could be made to work . . .

As for the Synchro issue, you'd have an easier time putting a Thing body on a Synchro chassis than you would retrofitting the Synchro driveline to a 181 chassis. Either way I would consider the task sufficiently daunting as to classify it as unfeasible. IMHO. Has anyone ever seen a Thing with 4WD?

— Spalding
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a Thing with 4WD?

— Spalding

Mike Crisp was kicking around the idea of putting a junk thing body on a suzuki samauri chassis. I don't think he's made any progress on it since he told me about it 3 or 4 years ago. He did a lot of measurements and found that it should fit and that a lot of the components had similar measurements. The wiper motor sits at the same angle from the windscreen- etc... could be fun to customize your thing with...

There were 4 or 5 prototype 4WD baywindow busses made sometime in the 70's, I'll try to look it up and find out when.

LSDs are much better than just turning brakes as they send the power taken from one wheel to the other, giving it a little more juice, but for the prices of an LSD today, I'd say just go with the turning brakes if you really want to play in the mud.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky wrote:
Mike Crisp was kicking around the idea of putting a junk thing body on a suzuki samauri chassis. I don't think he's made any progress on it since he told me about it 3 or 4 years ago. He did a lot of measurements and found that it should fit and that a lot of the components had similar measurements.

I don't know about similar measurements. Right off the bat, the 181's wheelbase is 14.5 inches longer than the Samurai's. And the 181's track is about 5.5 inches wider than the Samurai's. I suppose that because the Samurai has a real frame, as opposed to unibody, the frame could be lengthened to get the axles centered underneath the Thing's fenders. Perhaps some combination of wheel spacers/different wheel offset could help with widening the Samurai's track - but up front you' might have to do a lot of trimming to the Thing's fender wells to keep the tires from rubbing in turns. In any case it'd be a big job. But how cool would the end result be? Awesome. And the Samurai puts out a whopping 60hp stock! Woo Hoo!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no locker for a Type 1 transmission.

The Vanagon Syncro 4x4 has a locker that can be adapted to an 091/002 Bus trans, but it requires welding onto the trans case and custom machining.

ZF LSDs are available for swing axle Type 1s, IRS Type 1s, 002 Bus, and 091 Bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: