Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

width of standard smoothies
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: width of standard smoothies Reply with quote

how wide are standard VW smoothies? 4.5? 5.5? i'm going to get some slotties to show off my porsche-B brakes... Wink

pros/cons of the wider wheels? still take 165/15s?
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4JX15

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bill, but i'm not sure what that means. can you clarify?

i should also add... is there a difference in tire specs between the 4.5 and 5.5 rims... and, one would hink that the 5.5 rims might provide better handling. true?
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant figure out why you know what 4.5 and also 5.5 inch rims are but not what 4" inch rims are. in other words stock 1965 and older non brake cooling slots rims are 4" (4 inches wide) J offset and 15 diameter.. kinda like 4.5 but no .5 so they are 4(four)

1965 panel bus-Kermit
www.sv2s.com
SBS #100
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for your next question 165R15s will fit the 5.5" wheel but look better on a 4 or 4.5" wheel. I run 195/65/15s on 15x5.5" wheels and rolling diameter is almost the same as stock. They are just wide enough to fill out the wheelwells but don't rub. Speedo is accurate too.
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bill. the mangels are advertised in 4.5" and 5.5" widths... whereas the cryptic code 4JX15 was a bit confusing (i.e.: what's the JX for?... makes sense with the walk-through, but...). thanks for taking the time to clarify -- it definitely helps in the decision-making process.

i'll think i'll stick with the 4.5"s -- a bit wider than stock, but not too much.

(thx for the tire-411 drdarby... i'll stick with the 165s on the 4.5"s... now to research brands. too bad my old continentals arent as readily available.)
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mangeles are not smoothies. they are slotted like 66/67 4" by(X) 15" the x means by = 4 or 4.5 X(by) 15" your question was about "smoothies" not slotted. i ass u me d you wanted stock smoothie width.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
www.sv2s.com
SBS #100
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bill... i'm going to get some slotties to show off my porsche-B brakes... was curious as to the width of my current smoothies compared to the advertised 4.5" or 5.5" slotties... thanks for the info -- knowing that the current smoothies are 4" helped me to decide on the 4.5" slotties (as opposed to the 5.5").
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: width of standard smoothies Reply with quote

hlwimmer - do you happen to have photos of how the 4.5” wheels look in your bug? I know this is an old thread, but I’m contemplating getting 4.5” wide aftermarket wheels for my bug and wasn’t sure if 5.5” would be better (stock height, stock width beam). Thanks
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: