Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OK to use Slick 50 or other engine treatment?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: OK to use Slick 50 or other engine treatment? Reply with quote

This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't locate specific information with a search. So please bear with me being a newbie!

I've always used an engine treatment such as Slick 50 or newer brands in all of my cars. I swear by the stuff and have never had engine problems since using it.

But this is my first Bug. ('67) Is it OK to use an engine treatment on an air-cooled engine?

Thanks.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some previous threads on the subject matter...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88659&highlight=additives

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87114
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lesterplimpton64
Samba Floydiyan

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use STP.
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to use Slick 50 or other engine treatment? Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't locate specific information with a search. So please bear with me being a newbie!

I've always used an engine treatment such as Slick 50 or newer brands in all of my cars. I swear by the stuff and have never had engine problems since using it.

But this is my first Bug. ('67) Is it OK to use an engine treatment on an air-cooled engine?

Thanks.

You know how it got it's name, right? Whomever sold the first bottle made a Slick $50.

Seriously, I would never let Slick 50 or any other additives even touch my car. Not to mention go IN my engine.

For one, stuff like Slick 50 with Teflon... Teflon or PTFE... which is great on frying pans is NOT good in engines. It's a solid, and remains a solid. It clogs, it doesn't coat.

But, some people love it. I would never use it. Even if it was free.

-kf
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I read through the posts, thanks for the lead. I see there are clearly two camps on this, those for engine treatments and those against. I still have one question-

Is there anything particular about an air-cooled VW engine that different than a typical engine with regards to engine treatments?

For example, if you've got a Ford and a VW and you like engine treatments, you'd put it in both, right? Of would you only put it in your Ford because of something with the VW?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To update what I said in my posts.... I still use the 'restore' brand in my high milage water cooled rides and so far the few vw's I've added it to ( older engines with miles and see if it helps them run a bit longer before rebuild) seem to be running smooth, less oil consuption and better MPG then before the treatment so I don't think it has hurt them one bit... has it helped, by my personal independent experience I'd say yes. It is a much different product than Slick 50 or the other additives....
I would not add it to an otherwise great running engine expecting it to do anything, this stuff is for engines showing signs of wear not some miracle additive to make an engine last forever.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine is 10 years old with an unknown amount of miles on it. It was driven with some regularity for the first 5, but the second 5 it was 99% in storage. Thanks for the clarification!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
My engine is 10 years old with an unknown amount of miles on it. It was driven with some regularity for the first 5, but the second 5 it was 99% in storage. Thanks for the clarification!

I would see if it blows some oil on startup or uses any but does not leak as much as it uses and after a good tune up and with the oil change IMO it is a good candidate for the Restore brand additive... your car, your call.
I don't think it will harm your engine which is what some of the other additives can do with the teflon issue.
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far no oil on start up, no leaking. But it's way overdue for an oil change and a tune up, so those will be done ASAP. It's in the shop getting brakes right now. (massive $800 replacement job... they were wasted!) I've used engine treatments in every car I've had since about 1980 and have never had an engine problem with any of them since using an engine treatment. So I'll to do the same with the bug. Thanks, I just wanted to make sure it was OK on these types of engines, since this is my first air-cooled engine.

Now if I could just figure out where to fill the radiator... just kiddin'!!
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with an $80 bentley and less than $150 in parts you could have bought a $650 engine to keep as a spare.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear with me here, I'm a total rookie- What is a Bently? Just in case the entire braking system is shot again. If it can be replaced for $80 instead of $800 I'd definately like to learn what it is!
Flynt55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"bentley" is in reference to the VW official service manual, expensive but well worth the cost.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
Bear with me here, I'm a total rookie- What is a Bently? Just in case the entire braking system is shot again. If it can be replaced for $80 instead of $800 I'd definately like to learn what it is!

Claire,

We WILL bear with you! You ask good questions, and you listen to everyone that gives a reply. That's rare. You show concern for your aircooled, and want it to be safe and fun to drive. We have respect for people like you. Therefor, never feel you weighing on anyone here. Keep asking questions! We'll answer the best we can!

-kf
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee thanks! Yes, that's exactly what I want to do- get the car to a point where it's safe and fun.

My husband had two bugs eons ago, a '58 and a '65. He used to work on them back then. But a few years ago he had a bout with meningoencephalitis (combination of meningitis and encephalitis which is swelling of both the brain's covering and the brain itself) He lives with constant head pain and its very hard for him to do anything where his head is lowered, such as climbing around under cars!

So between the two of us we can do some of the simple work the car needs, but most jobs will have to go off to a mechanic. Since this car is my baby though, it's up to me to learn all I can about it and make the decisions on what is done on it.

This forum has been a tremendous help.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my other 67 i just replaced front and rear shoes as rest of brakes were fine. $40 in cost. robert bentley official factory reprint work shop manual is $35 for 66-69...... it can save you lots of money doing repairs yourself.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah 800 for brakes sounds way high... even if you were getting all German parts and paying 65 labor I don't see how anyone could hit 800 bucks!
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmm... this is a total replacement including drums, shoes, master cylinder, everything was shot beyond repair. They couldn't resurface the drums it was all warped. The inside of the brakes was filled with sludge and everything a mess, broken and warped.

If $800 is high for a total replacement of everything let me know, I'll go somewhere else next time. Part of the reason we went to this guy is we didn't want to drive it any further than we had to with the brakes mushing to the floorboards!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info on brake parts... I guess drums are getting alot higher (retail) than I remember but still 800 does seem high.

http://www.oeveedub.com/bsbr.html

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1061

http://www.chirco.com/cgi-bin/chirco.storefront/42851d5202a9296a273f407720150648/Catalog/1437

I guess some of us old timers are jaded by what's in our head price wise last time we checked, that and alot of us have good used drums and stuff out the wazoo stashed and will use them before having to bite the bullet and buy new. That or go scrounging parts at salvages shops and swaps.

Sounds like you may have "had to do what you had to do" at the time.
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, yeah looking at the price of the parts, it does add up quick!
Herby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$800 is very high...even for modern cars thats pretty high. I mean maybe if it was everything including brake lines, then maybe...but still sounds high
Airspeed
www.airspeedvwclub.com
"Do not assume that there isn't room for improvement just because VW didn't do it."

Samba #34091
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: