Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Ghia Guard' Ad from 1967
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: 'Ghia Guard' Ad from 1967 Reply with quote

This 'accessory' was discussed here recently. Thought I'd share this with you guys.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's interesting proof that those things were in fact marketed as dent cover-ups. thanks

the trouble is that they are not really a "guard" at all. In fact, like the ad says when it does happen again I suspect they wopuld actually make the 2nd dent that much worse since the "thick rubber pad" probably wouldn't do much.

LOL@ "Remember Ghia Guards are only for special people-- Ghia Owners." No kidding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i thought it was a piece made in europe.........but the ad says glenview, ill. maybe they were the exclusive inporters of the ghia gash guard.

i kinda like 'em too, but i wouldn't pay a big chunk for one cause i'm a cheap bastid. what magazine and month was the ad printed in? i might have to settle for the print ad.....lol
smuenchrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's got one for sale in the Classifieds for $325.00

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=179613

Pricey, but an interesting piece!!!
Buggeroff
Argumentative Bastard

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smuenchrath wrote:
Someone's got one for sale in the Classifieds for $325.00

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=179613

Pricey, but an interesting piece!!!

But we are," special people" Laughing What price exclusivity ? Chris.

Headlinerless 57 Ghia
Thread deleter extrordinaire.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i kinda like 'em too

Hey, I never said I liked them! I'd rather have a dent on my car than that ugly thing!

BTW, I found it in a magazine called 'Volkswagen Owners Guide' from fall, 1967 (for sale in the classifieds).

garyrowland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they used to be advertised in the J C whitney catalog, out of chicago, of which glenview, Ill. is a close suburb - if anybody has seen a 1956 alfa romeo, it looks very similar to a karmann ghia with this (ugly) nose piece - that alfa also happened to be designed by ghia of turin, Italy
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if anybody has seen a 1956 alfa romeo, it looks very similar to a karmann ghia with this (ugly) nose piece - that alfa also happened to be designed by ghia of turin, Italy

A small handful of Alfa Romeo models were designed and coachbuilt by Ghia in the '40's and '50's in Torino, Italy. Most in the prewar era were designed by Pininfarina, another styling house/Carrozzeria and competitor of Ghia). However, the Alfa grille shape dates back to the prewar years (and is still part of their modern styling iconography to this day), and that the many styles of fake Karmann-Ghia nose grill (of which the "Ghia Guard" was only one; there were others made in Europe and Stateside) resemble an Alfa "shield" grille must be considered a co-incidence.
33rain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: ghia guard Reply with quote

Just sold mine for $100. Sweeeet.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep so desirable that you find most of them NOS and still in the box. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protects your nose from dents, but does not protect it from the three holes you're required to drill into your car to mount it.
crazee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess everyone has their own tastes.........but I like it.

I like a ghia without one too.

But it's interesting.

I'd buy one for a realistic price just to have.

Hint...hint.......... Wink
pbaptist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazee wrote:
Guess everyone has their own tastes.........but I like it.

I like a ghia without one too.

But it's interesting.

I'd buy one for a realistic price just to have.

Hint...hint.......... Wink

The question is: what is a realistic prize? The current prizes of these things on thesamba range from $200 to $500.

I think $100 is cheap (off course, I don't know the condition of the one 33rain had and if all the rubber was included).

Patrick
4* Rometsch Lawrence (nr 534, 555, 558 and 561)

Karmann-Ghia Lowlight page and registry
Karmann-Ghia Collectibles database
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbaptist wrote:

The question is: what is a realistic prize? The current prizes of these things on thesamba range from $200 to $500.

I think $100 is cheap (off course, I don't know the condition of the one 33rain had and if all the rubber was included).

Patrick

The thing is Patrick even the one for $200 has sat in the Classifieds for months and remains unsold along with another 4. This would indicate $200 is unrealistic.

Rarity and desirability are entirely different things, obviously rarity or $200 in this case aren't a good selling points. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbaptist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

The thing is Patrick even the one for $200 has sat in the Classifieds for months and remains unsold along with another 4. This would indicate $200 is unrealistic.

Rarity and desirability are entirely different things, obviously rarity or $200 in this case aren't a good selling points. Wink

I know, one of those ads is from me, and indeed my ad is already there for a couple of months. I didn't want to mention it, as it them looks like I am abusing a topic with commercial reasons. But I am the only one who is offering the guard complete with back rubber base and the white gasket. Nobody else has this original white gasket with the guards.
I do have a second one without the rubber parts, and that one may leave for a lot less. (yes, now I am abusing this topic with commercial reasons)

I still think they look cool on the wall of the garage or shown together with other rare ghia parts. That was also the reason why I bought mines.

I really think this is a undervalued ghia part. I think if any other early style of the guard is offered, good prizes will be paid. I really would love to buy the bigger version that is sometimes seen on old pictures of some lowlights.

Patrick
4* Rometsch Lawrence (nr 534, 555, 558 and 561)

Karmann-Ghia Lowlight page and registry
Karmann-Ghia Collectibles database
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be useful and made cooler if used as a functioning grill, on a watercooled Subaru conversion. Last I checked there weren't many Ghias being converted though and the engine swap is complicated enough to keep most people from diving into it.
crazee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
pbaptist wrote:

Patrick

Agreed!
$200 is UNREALISTIC! And $500 is extremely funny!

I'd likely pay $100 for a complete one in good condition. That would be "my top price".

There is a huge difference between what somebody "thinks" something is worth and what it "will sell for" on a regular basis.

I hate it when I see JUNK VW's offered for sale at premium prices too!
Just cause something is OLD does not make it worth a bunch of money.
Condition & supply & demand mean everything.

I guess sellers need to consider if they want to sell something fast for a fair price or sit on the offered thing forever.

People should also consider how they feel when they are confronted with inflated prices when they are on the buying end of it.

Last but not least I'll comment that --> ALTHOUGH SAMBA IS A GREAT SITE.....the prices here are inflated for most things offered compared to what you can get in reality for "realistic prices".

This is shown by the massive amount of stuff that sits forever in the want ads never to be sold.

Also take into account that with the world economy the way it is.........everything is cheaper and your LUCKY to sell stuff for even very realistic prices.

A nose grill??? Well.....I'd love to have one but I can EASILY live without one ( as can most). This also has something to do with the VALUE of a piece like this.

And there ya have my rant and opinion. Very Happy
VolksRepairs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 'Ghia Guard' Ad from 1967 Reply with quote

This week we dug up a 1958 Low Light project. It has another special Guard on the front, even with hoodtrim and alternative nostrils.

Never saw this version before, anybody has any info perhaps?

project is for sale by the way:https://www.volksrepairs.nl/occasion/volkswagen-karmann-ghia-coupe-low-light-1958-1200-cc-30-pk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Ghia Guard' Ad from 1967 Reply with quote

Just looking at the photos of these Ghia Guards is merkin me feel sick.
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Ghia Guard' Ad from 1967 Reply with quote

Or click up your parking brake up just enough so it won't roll away on it's own. Then when some knucklehead backs into it, the car goes back a few inches instead of the nose going IN a few inches (theoretically). I always try for an end spot with a red zone or driveway so no one can back into my car and inspire me to get a Ghia Guard Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: