Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rancho Transaxles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a car with a Rancho Pro Street 4-12 already installed. It ran great till recently, when It started making a lot of noise. I dumped the oil and found small chunks of metal and the familiar metallic sheen in the 90wt..
I wasn't able to get to it till last week, and when my trans builder tore it apart he found that the P.O. installed the axles incorrectly. 7000 miles like that. Destroyed a lot of good parts.
Anyway.....my trans guy had nothing but good things to say about how well the Rancho trans was put together(other than the axles....lol). Trust me, when this guy complements someone, they deserve it.
It's getting rebuilt now, and it hurt$.
illinineverdie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Thank you Glenn for pointing me to this thread)

I recently ordered a Rancho Pro Street transmission and need some reinforcing that this is going to be a high quality transmission and worth it. I got the $850 4sped trans with hardened keys and super diff.

The reason I am doubting is I had some run ins with their customer service. I would have to grade it a 1 or 2 out of a 5. I personally worked in customer service for 10 years and in systems at a major insurance company for another 10. Questionable customer service doesn't always predict a poor quality product, but it does make you question it.

In the end, I went with all the positive remarks about Rancho I read here on the board and let them know as much. I hope to receive it in a few days.

Has anyone else had any issues with them? I read a lot of positives here... Just hoping my case is unique.
illinineverdie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnr356 wrote:
great product...when i finally got one
you guys really need someone to "answer" phonecalls and e-mails

it really lets your business down Crying or Very sad

This was my main issue. Guys seemed nice enough, but trying to get a hold of anyone was a headache. In addition, one time I did call back and asked for Sam.. he was busy and the I assumed the guy said Sam would call me back. The guy said, "No, I said you needed to call back." I hung up.

Later I called back and spoke with Sam. Sam indicated that he spoke with that guy and the guy said the complete opposite. Sam was friendly enough, but I don't feel he believed me. He was very protective of his guys.. which speaks to his character, but I hope he listened to my feedback for his own sake.

Other than that, I have not received the transmission yet, but I have read many great things on this board.. and that is the reason I went with them in the first place, and as I told Sam, their reputation on this board is why I am continuing to move forward with my purchase besides the questionable customer service over the phone.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

illinineverdie wrote:
I recently ordered a Rancho Pro Street transmission and need some reinforcing that this is going to be a high quality transmission and worth it. I got the $850 4sped trans with hardened keys and super diff.

The reason I am doubting is I had some run ins with their customer service. I would have to grade it a 1 or 2 out of a 5. I personally worked in customer service for 10 years and in systems at a major insurance company for another 10. Questionable customer service doesn't always predict a poor quality product, but it does make you question it.

In the end, I went with all the positive remarks about Rancho I read here on the board and let them know as much. I hope to receive it in a few days.

Has anyone else had any issues with them? I read a lot of positives here... Just hoping my case is unique.

Rancho does top quality work and will take good care of you. You will have to be a little patient and need to understand that they do a lot more then just VW transaxles, right now they are hard core into off-road racing season work and there are a lot of big money guys with $10K-$15K transaxles that want it done yesterday.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a Pro Street Plus with my Turbo Subaru.. No problems so far over 12,800 miles. Granted, I don't drop the clutch on it with this engine...
Manxter #39 on a 1971 Pan
Turbo-charged Subaru EJ25D (DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3923620/1971-volkswagen-beetle#

-Adam
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had them build a 002 freeway flyer for my 69 Westy. It took longer than I expected and they explained that it was racing season and they had race cars ahead of me. when I finally got the transmission it was well packed, and has performed flawlessly for the past year. I would certainly use them again, but patience is required.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
illinineverdie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

illinineverdie wrote:
jnr356 wrote:

This was my main issue. Guys seemed nice enough, but trying to get a hold of anyone was a headache. In addition, one time I did call back and asked for Sam.. he was busy and the I assumed the guy said Sam would call me back. The guy said, "No, I said you needed to call back." I hung up.

Later I called back and spoke with Sam. Sam indicated that he spoke with that guy and the guy said the complete opposite. Sam was friendly enough, but I don't feel he believed me. He was very protective of his guys.. which speaks to his character, but I hope he listened to my feedback for his own sake.

Other than that, I have not received the transmission yet, but I have read many great things on this board.. and that is the reason I went with them in the first place, and as I told Sam, their reputation on this board is why I am continuing to move forward with my purchase besides the questionable customer service over the phone.

I got to say I am REALLY hoping that they did a quality job on the transmission when I get it because the entire customer service experience has been trying. I noticed today on my Credit Card that I was double-billed. $918.39 and then another $1113.39 on 5/9. The charge on 5/9 was when they were to only charge for the core.

I spoke to Sam, but again it was a headache trying to get a hold of him. He was able to rectify it right away and apologized, but wow.. they really need to work on the customer service. They might consider me small time, but I about had a heart attack when I saw I was billed approx an extra $1000.
illinineverdie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

illinineverdie wrote:
illinineverdie wrote:
jnr356 wrote:

I got to say I am REALLY hoping that they did a quality job on the transmission when I get it because the entire customer service experience has been trying. I noticed today on my Credit Card that I was double-billed. $918.39 and then another $1113.39 on 5/9. The charge on 5/9 was when they were to only charge for the core.

I spoke to Sam, but again it was a headache trying to get a hold of him. He was able to rectify it right away and apologized, but wow.. they really need to work on the customer service. They might consider me small time, but I about had a heart attack when I saw I was billed approx an extra $1000.

Well, I got the trans and it is damaged. By the shipping company of course, but this whole experience has been nothing but bad. The damage is probably considered minimal. It is a gouge in the side of the bell housing... but when you pay a grand for a quality product you expect more.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by illinineverdie on Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
illinineverdie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

illinineverdie wrote:
illinineverdie wrote:
illinineverdie wrote:
jnr356 wrote:

Well, I got the trans and it is damaged. By the shipping company of course, but this whole experience has been nothing but bad. The damage is probably considered minimal. It is a gouge in the side of the bell housing... but when you pay a grand for a quality product you expect more.

Oh, and I decided to go back out and check my credit card again. My $ still has not been credited back to my card. I am currently still double charged.. now for a damaged transmission. I spoke with him Monday and it is Wed now. I am a systems analyst for a living and I am having a hard time believing it takes that long to process. Could be though.. not happy.
RanchoParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Rancho complaint dept. Reply with quote

Here at Rancho Performance Transaxles we are running at 110% everyday to keep up with orders, quality and customer service. Sometimes things do not go as planned. We strive to provide the very best quality product in a reasonable time frame at a fair price. This is a constantly changing process due in large part to the fact that more and more old cores are unusable and more new parts are becoming a necessity to build transaxles that meet our high standards for quality and reliability.
We want to thank all our customers that support our company and even those that feel they have had an issue. Rancho is known worldwide for its exceptional customer service and we do our very best to resolve any issues brought to our attention. Unfortunately in the real world it is nearly impossible to satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. This appears to be one of those instances.

Sam Shackelford Owner Rancho Performance Transaxles Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Wileypost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if there are any updates to this thread. I ordered a Pro Street back in November before Thanksgiving, and I was told today (for the third time) "it will be at least two more weeks". Dave is apologetic and says they are just swamped. Anyone else experiencing this. Should I cut my loses and go somewhere else? This is holding up my build now and I have other projects waiting.
Redlocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Rancho Customer Service was A+ to me. Reply with quote

I had been searching for an 002 Bellhousing to finish my test run stand (I do a fair amount of 6 volt engines so the 091 will not work with the 6 volt starters/ring gears).

After posting a WTB ad on this site I had several "hits". It seemed the going rate was $100 plus shipping. One of the "hits" wasn't trying to sell me his, but rather was recommending that I contact Rancho to see if they would sale me one. He said that they sold him one for $25 (I have no idea how long ago that was and if he picked it up or had it shipped). Sounded good to me. So I emailed Rancho.

Mike at Rancho replied back rather quickly with an offer of $50 shipped to Pennsylvania. I then called him, paid him over the phone on Tuesday May 5th, 2015. At my request on Thursday May 7th, 2015, I received FedEx tracking info from him and it was delivered Saturday morning May 9th, 2015.

I can only speak from my experiences, by Rancho rules. I am a very satisfied customer. Exactly what I needed at a more than fair price, shipped quickly, and was packaged well in an appropriately sized box filled with foam packaging peanuts.

71 Super Beetle (stolen)
71 Squareback (rusted, junked)
71 Squareback (factory-dealer A/C, sold)
68 Bus, sold
68 Beetle (baja'd, sold)
78 "Golf" (total burn)
81 Scirocco S (sold, bought back, sold again)
81 Scirocco S (sold)
86 Scirocco (sold)
83 GTI (DSP auto-crossed, sold)
84 GTI (sold)
2000 New Beetle
'60 Microbus Std. / Mango (project in progress)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed two Rancho transmissions in my shop. One in a '72 bus and one in a '74 bug vert. Both are working well. It took a couple months to get the bug trans., but I knew that going in. I just sent the core back today. Satisfied customer here.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

illinineverdie wrote:
illinineverdie wrote:
illinineverdie wrote:
jnr356 wrote:

That's damaged? What a joke.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wileypost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of this really matters if they just don't ship to a customer now and then. Who knows if you'll get one or not. Waited four months before I canceled.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been waiting a week for a reply back from an email I sent. I'm about to spend big bucks with them and I can't get a simple email back? I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to have my core with 3.88 ring and pinion sent to them. I'll give it another week and if I still haven't gotten a reply, I'll ask for them to mail the core to another builder for me. I've got a car that I've been building for about 4 years, and I am not about to wait four months on a transaxle that I'm willing to spend big bucks on.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the replies here kill me....

in the "want it yesterday" world we live in, you guys need to plan...3 or 4 months to have something built is the norm in restoration. I think leaving negative/neutral feedback for something that you never ordered is lame.

and I laugh at how some of you think "big coin" is 1k-2,500. it may be to you and your situation, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket.

I think most of you need to learn how to wait your turn and stop with the entitlement "it's all about me" attitude. people get busy. they are busy for a reason. but know this...fewer and fewer guys are doing this so long lead times are to be expected.

in 4 years, you couldn't pull the trigger on getting a transmission? come the f*ck on....now 4 months is going to be a deal breaker? Rolling Eyes and as annoying as it is, when they don't call or email you back, it pretty much means they don't need your business

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
some of the replies here kill me....

in the "want it yesterday" world we live in, you guys need to plan...3 or 4 months to have something built is the norm in restoration. I think leaving negative/neutral feedback for something that you never ordered is lame.

and I laugh at how some of you think "big coin" is 1k-2,500. it may be to you and your situation, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket.

I think most of you need to learn how to wait your turn and stop with the entitlement "it's all about me" attitude. people get busy. they are busy for a reason. but know this...fewer and fewer guys are doing this so long lead times are to be expected.

in 4 years, you couldn't pull the trigger on getting a transmission? come the f*ck on....now 4 months is going to be a deal breaker? Rolling Eyes and as annoying as it is, when they don't call or email you back, it pretty much means they don't need your business

All business need as much business as they can get. Thats the name of the game. I wasnt trying to be a jackass, simply stating what ive e,perienced so far. And this day and age, an email is quick and easy to send. Everybody has a smart phone. And yes, 2 grand is a lot of money. 4 months for a transmission is a joke. Im sure they do great work, thats a well known fact. But im not waiting 4 months. I was told 6 weeks, which is fine. I just thought it was strange that I disnt get an email back. Maybe theyre not computer guys....maybe theyre busy as hell. Fine. But ai hope to get a reply back and get a transaxle built by them.....and that it 2ill take 6 to 7 weeks. There are other, good companies that build them too. And do it well. Would I rather have Rancho do it? Yes. Their rep is awesome.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
RanchoParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just want to let you know that we do the best we can every day
to give the customers the best Transaxle money can buy. We apologize
for any delay but occasionally we receive an over load of orders and production gets back up. You may want to ask yourself why is Rancho so busy? It's because we offer a service that is unmatched buy anyone in the industry.

In no way am I trying to sound Arrogant, so please do not take it
that way.

If you have any questions please contact me I would be happy to answer them.

Thanks
Mike Herbert
Rancho Performance Transaxles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't take my above post as negative. It was not meant so in any way. And yes, I'm having you guys build my transaxle for one reason. Rancho is the best. If it takes a little longer than my impatient butt likes...so be it. Nothing good happens quickly anyway.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: