Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

While in there, those electrolytic capacitors should be changed.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

My idle control unit on my Digijet was causing intermittent starting issues.

I talked to a professor at school and he thinks I could get away with maybe just eliminating the burnt caps and just running wires as the values of those resistors are unknown.

Regardless, Van Cafe sold me one (last year) for $30. Van has never gave me any issues since.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OldBlueSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

drumbum68 wrote:
While in there, those electrolytic capacitors should be changed.

Which ones are those?
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

Took my control unit apart and the NTE 185 transistor was fried. Contacted a local guy who works on circuit boards and he's able to repair it for me. He tested the rest of the unit was fine.

Hope to have it back next week and get the IAC valve back in the loop.

Thanks again Samba people!

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
yvessergerie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

Does anybody can get the Idle Control Unit electronic sketch for my Vanagon GL 1987?
y
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

I just repaired my ICU from an 86 2.1l
I had 2 Faults:
1) 2000 RPM idle
2) Rough Idling
No burned components
After reverse-engineering the unit, I had a set of schematic diagrams.
With a scope confirmed that the Solenoid Valve was outputting a PWM waveform.
It was just erratic in idle and 2000 rpm.
Twisting the boards whilst idling I was able to exhibit these symptoms.
On the mainboard I re-soldered all the main large components joints. (Connectors, Large Diodes, Large Resistors, Electrolytic Capacitors)
After this, the 2000 rpm issue was gone, but the erratic idle remained. Twisting the 2nd board was able to simulate this fault. Turned out to be the 0.01uF cap inline with the ignition signal. This is a large component, and the joints were dry, Resolderd all caps on this board, and the fault was gone.

I cant find out how to load files on this site, so if someone wants a copy, just mesage me.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I cant find out how to load files on this site, so if someone wants a copy, just mesage me.

The only means I know of loading any "files" here is as photos. If you could save the diagrams as a JPG image, they could be loaded to the image gallery. Kludgey, but lacking anything better...

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I had 2 Faults:
1) 2000 RPM idle
2) Rough Idling
No burned components
On the mainboard I re-soldered all the main large components joints. (Connectors, Large Diodes, Large Resistors, Electrolytic Capacitors)
After this, the 2000 rpm issue was gone, but the erratic idle remained. Twisting the 2nd board was able to simulate this fault. Turned out to be the 0.01uF cap inline with the ignition signal. This is a large component, and the joints were dry, Resolderd all caps on this board, and the fault was gone.

I’m interested in the file. Sending you a PM
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

@ Roger...Can you share a link to Dropbox, or PDF saved in your Google drive, or...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

Hey folks, Roger sent me the files a while ago and I told him I would post them for him. Haven't done it yet, but will get them up here today when I get to work - yes, I actually go to work a couple of days a week, at least for now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

OK, testing to see if these links will work. Could someone click on them and see if you have access to the schematics?
EDIT: The links did not work. Public links are a few posts below.

Last edited by bobhill8 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
OK, testing to see if these links will work. Could someone click on them and see if you have access to the schematics?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SXoqJIQqLxQuR-lN4MDz5od8d_024nsT/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uf9NMt_NyEDv6aCEXafgHdzojProhru_/view?usp=drivesdk
Access denied. You need to check the 'Share with everybody' box in Drive.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_phf85X-USw12Q39zog2PxEwQQu3U8UT/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N2UR4Q8PCaDwS940UHxiQZPu8M4moD05/view?usp=sharing

These should work!

Last edited by bobhill8 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

Those ^^^ are working for me...very nice!

Hearty thanks to Roger & Bob! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

Its a bit of a pain that I cant load them as PDF's
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

I turned the schematics into jpegs. Not sure if it's more helpful in this format, but it was easy enough:

All the work was done by Roger - I'm just the Amazon driver.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

Are you sure you want to share all this intellectual property? I appreciate the sentiment, however some might take advantage of this. You could maybe share it under a creative commons license. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

Antway, great work. Can't wait for my idle module to go bad so I can buy this Cool
Vwtechal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

Thank you for the great information. I noticed in the schematic that you said that the terminal 50 was a mystery as the voltage always stays at 0v. That is because it only receives power to this terminal, and ECM terminal 1, when the engine is cranking. Terminal 50 power comes from the ignition switch when the key is in the "start" position.

[email protected] wrote:
I had 2 Faults:
1) 2000 RPM idle
2) Rough Idling
No burned components

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

Thanks, not sure why I missed that !!

Vwtechal wrote:
Thank you for the great information. I noticed in the schematic that you said that the terminal 50 was a mystery as the voltage always stays at 0v. That is because it only receives power to this terminal, and ECM terminal 1, when the engine is cranking. Terminal 50 power comes from the ignition switch when the key is in the "start" position.

[email protected] wrote:
I had 2 Faults:
1) 2000 RPM idle
2) Rough Idling
No burned components

tanhis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Control Module issue (high idle) & cheap fix Reply with quote

OldBlueSyncro wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
Found this other pic in Goodie's gallery:

Resistor in question seems to be marked "66R 10%"...whatever that means... Wink

- Dave

Thanks for that picture! It shows everything much better. I know so little about circuit boards. I believe its 56r printed on there.

I already soldered the NTE185 into my idle control module, but this 56r 10% has a small burnt spot on the side of it. I bought this( https://canada.newark.com/ohmite/oy560ke/resistor-ceramic-56-ohm-2w-10/dp/64K5435?st=56r%2010% ) to replace it but I'm not sure if it's the right replacement for that resistor. Dont want to solder it in and mess up more things in this module.

Can someone confirm is this the correct resitor as I have the same burnt resitor in my digijet 2.1 DJ 251 907 739 A on top of burt NTE185.
-73 411 variant all metal custom
-69 typ 2, 9 seater
-89 vanagon camper conversion matkaaja
-08 3.0tdi phaeton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: