Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600DP mystery problem SOLVED!!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prom8n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: 1600DP mystery problem SOLVED!! Reply with quote

Posting this in case anybody else runs across this:

Tuned up the 1600DP in the Bug Saturday, taught my son how to set the valve clearance, points, timing, etc. It ran great for about 6 hours, but then it started running rough, then back-firing thru the carb real bad. Pulled over and looked, and the oil-bath air cleaner had popped off the carb, spilled oil all over everything, and the 12v wire to the coil was almost melted thru. I figured the oil had shorted out the wiring and the distributor, causing it to crossfire and run awful.

Towed it home, cleaned up the oil, pulled the distributor and used dielectric spray to clean it. Replaced the melted wires. Still ran bad, popping back thru the carb. Compression check was good and consistant on all 4 cylinders. Hmmmm....

Found that if I pulled the plug wire off #4 cylinder, it stopped backfiring, but still ran bad. Replaced distributor, coil, ignition wires (I had extras laying around), no better. Pulled the carb and cleaned it all out, as I was running out of ideas. Nothing helped.

I was trying to figure out why #4 was backfiring, so I pulled the cap off the distributor to watch the rotor. Had my son crank the starter, and the darn thing was still popping back thru the carb. What the *%#$? If the cap is off the distributor, how the hell can the engine be backfiring!?!?

By now I've been working on this for two days and can't find the problem, so I'm ticked off. Finally, the answer came to me. Anybody want to guess?

I looked at my son, and said "You forgot to tighten the lock-nut of #4 exhaust valve, didn't you." Sure enough, we pulled the left valve cover, and the nut fell out.

The adj. screw had backed all the way out. It wasn't backfiring thru the carb, it was the ignited gas in #4 escaping out thru the intake valve when it opened. I had good compression because both valves were still closed, it was just that the exhaust valve was never opening! When it popped back, that's what blew the air cleaner off the carb and spilled oil all over. That was an effect, not the cause.

It took 10 minutes to fix, and the blasted thing has never run better.
Moral: Never assume you know what you're doing. And always double-check what your teenage son does to the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
V_DUB_YOU1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP mystery problem SOLVED!! Reply with quote

prom8n wrote:
And always double-check what your teenage son does to the car.

Did your son do that one or did you?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To your credit, you used logic and knowledge of internal combustion engines to come up with the ultimate reason- this is something you must also instill in your son to diagnose any mechanical object. Glad to hear it was a simple repair.
berniedd1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you! Just a minor correction - oil does not conduct electricity and cannot short out your distributor wiring.
thetravman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of wisdom from travman the nobody. You should always recheck your valve clearance AFTER you tighten the locknut. Do this and that'll never happen again. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: