Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repro of the Judson air scoop for Karmann Ghia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Repro of the Judson air scoop for Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Hullo folks,

I recently did a write up of a reproduction of the Judson air scoop for the Karmann Ghia. If you are interested, you can find it along with images at the following URL:

http://www.8kb.net/scoop/

Best,

D
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Dan...it's always good to have a first hand report on something like this...especially when this repro was being sold with pictures that didn't show enough detail.

Human nature being what it is every seller will want to show their product in a good light so you rarely get pictures showing any shortcomings.

The original Judson Scoops were certainly of a better quality but I'd imagine with a bit of elbow grease you should be able to iron out a few of the repro imperfections.

The problem with having a batch of these scoops repoped is that you need to throw an large amount of cash at the project without having a good idea of how many you'll be able to sell.

We have a member who has offered to repop these in fiberglass but I've resisted as some will resist fibreglass in favour of a cast repop or an original...it's a bit of a conundrum.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how much was that original one I sold too cheap worth when I sold it too cheap in 93? Embarassed Laughing

And for more abuse... how much would it have been worth in today's market?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two or so years ago, 150-200 was the going price for an original.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave... I knew when posted about abuse I could count on someone like you to chime in! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you consider the Judson Gauge is more readily available but carries a higher price, current prices for scoops aren't THAT bad. Recent price around the $300 mark.

The problem with buying an original scoop is that there aren't enough to go around.

Strange really...rarer than a Judson Gauge but sells for less. I suppose the reason for this is that there are less people bidding on Scoops.

Most people who come to me looking for an OG Scoop usually find one in a year or so. So a small market would exist for a cheap fibreglass repop to use while they look for an OG version.

Perhaps we could use Dan's alloy repop to make a really cheap fibreglass repop. My brain hurts Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, wasn't someone working on a scheme to re-work a Judson so that it could fit in a Ghia without the need for a scoop? As I recall their solution was rather simple and the results looked original and not hacked.

Any progress on that front?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
John, wasn't someone working on a scheme to re-work a Judson so that it could fit in a Ghia without the need for a scoop? As I recall their solution was rather simple and the results looked original and not hacked.

Any progress on that front?

The only way you can take height out of a Judson set-up is to modify the intake manifold or to leave off the Judson Aircleaner.

The problem with taking out a piece of the intake manifold is that as you lower the Judson body you fall foul of the Generator and the throttle linkage, the distributor and HT leads. If you're going to do this it's a difficult balancing job.

On another Samba thread this was stated:
Quote:
The factory spec method to install the 36 Judson on a bus is to modify the intake manifold by taking out a 36.7 mm section just below the carb (now supercharger) mount base, this allows the judson to fit vertically in the engine compartment (from the paperwork that came with the bus).

That was news to me...the only cutting suggestions I know of made by Judson was for a 4 inch section to be cut from a Bus engine bay ceiling, for the cutting of the Ghia decklid using a Scoop template and a piece of the rain pan on the decklid of a convertable.

Haddon Judson jnr tells me Judson made a few experimental manifolds but didn't market them.

Of course that won't stop a lot of people having a go...if anyone knows how to do it successfully I'd be pleased to hear about it too Smile
nbtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a repop. Sure would be better than the stand-off kit I fabbed.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbtim wrote:
I'd buy a repop. Sure would be better than the stand-off kit I fabbed.

Hmmm...that makes one Smile

If nobody cared about cutting the Ghia decklid it wouldn't be a problem...we'd set about the repop with the reasonable assumption that we would eventually sell all we could make. But...most Ghia owners can't face the hack job so they find a compromise or don't bother with the Judson.

The other way and it's not a cheap one is to rescue a decklid from the scrapyard and cut that, leaving your original intact.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modified manifold idea is what I remember reading about on your website. That would be a much better solution than the scoop for ghias.

I love Judsons, but it would take a lot to make me butcher a decklid to make one fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
I love Judsons, but it would take a lot to make me butcher a decklid to make one fit.

here here, thats why i bought the mag supercharger. Cool
dmercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly I'm not adverse to modifying a (plentiful) deck lid in a period manner, however for the record, the deck lid original to my '58 is not being cut. I have a second one salvaged off a '58 rear clip that has some dings and moderate rust that will run with the Judson once it is all straightened out.

I agree that MAG superchargers are cool, though evidentally they don't provide as much boost as a vein based blower like the Judson. For those who are interested, check out the following links with info on MAG:

Alejandro Martin's overview of MAG superchargers with a great internal pic showing the lobes in a MAG blower:

- http://www.almar.easynet.be/mag_supercharger.htm

July 1957 Article on MAG in Karmann Ghia (English)

- http://www.oldspeed.ch/pages/press-mag11.html
- http://www.oldspeed.ch/pages/press-mag12.html
- http://www.oldspeed.ch/pages/press-mag13.html
- http://www.oldspeed.ch/pages/press-mag14.html

oldspeed.ch's other MAG resources, most in French/German

- http://www.oldspeed.ch/pages/prepa-mag.html

It may go without saying, but finding a complete, usable MAG kit makes obtaining an early Okrasa setup look easy. Some folks, like DaveM are lucky enough to do both. ;-)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been exchanging emails with a couple of Judson Ghia owners and it seems most don't have any problems sourcing a spare decklid or making an original, bona fide, period modification. They did however think twice about cutting the original Judson Scoop Template Wink

It also appears you would need to take over 2 inches out of the height of the stock manifold to accomodate the Judson Aircleaner and from what I can see that would not be an easy proposition.

Certainly not a straight-forward cut and shut.
Peter_Plade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi does anybody know how you can see
the diffrens between an org and repro scoop?

Peter
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: IMO, Thats a real nice repro. Reply with quote

The surface seems just a touch rougher than an original and the letters are not as crisp. Other than that its a great repro and would fool 99 people out of 100 once painted and on the car.

-Craig
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a scoop that's been for sale for months on the Samba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=164039
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Here's a scoop that's been for sale for months on the Samba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=164039

This is the repop Dan Mercer wrote his report on...you'll see a link to it at the start of this thread.

Unfortunately Mr. Morley seems to answer emails about this scoop only when it suits him. I carried an ad for these repops, on my site for over 2 years and the ungreatful **** wouldn't even answer me Twisted Evil

I only left the ad there as a service to others but in the end I lost my patience and removed it...
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Unfortunately Mr. Morley seems to answer emails about this scoop only when it suits him. I carried an ad for these repops, on my site for over 2 years and the ungreatful **** wouldn't even answer me Twisted Evil

I've had the same thing happen to me with him. Its a real hit or miss. He will ignore emails forever. The good news is once you do connect he does follow thru and ship and all that-- it's making that first contact that drives you crazy.
Peter_Plade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm what if I got a scoop where there is no lettering
on the inside?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: