Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever been in an accident in a Beetle?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rear ended a caddy in my '74 super. Smashed it up pretty good, but did nothing to the other car. I learned that these V-dubs are easy to work on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LadyVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in two car accidents in a Beetle. The first, being the most serious, was in a 72 Super. It had just started raining, so the roads were extra slick. I was coming around a corner, hydroplaned and slid into the oncoming lane and hit a Lincoln Towncar head on. Upon impact I braced myself, and both ankles snapped back, one fractured, the other sprained pretty badly. I cracked and bent the steering wheel with my throat, and fractured my larynx. Had a small cut just in my hairline middle of forehead. I was wearing my seatbelt, but the part that pulls the chest tight was broken, so it hung loose, the lap part was the only part holding me in. I am short, so I was seated pretty close to the steering wheel as well.
I don't remember anything about the accident, only what I'm told. I never physically saw my car afterwards, only a video my dad took before he sent it to the scrap yard. Apparently the spare tire saved me from any further injury. The Lincoln had a busted headlight.
I drove an 85 Golf for 9 years after that, it was pale metallic blue and everybody hit me in that car. I think that may be the worst color to have on a rainy day! I was always getting clipped and rear ended in that golf.

In 2000 I got my current car, a 66 Beetle. I was rear ended two Decembers ago, my decklid was caved in and the bumper bent in and up. No harm to engine whatsoever! Luck! No harm to me either, but I was SO pissed off that my boyfriend at the time had to do all the talking to the moron who hit his accelorator when the light turned green for the left turning lane. We were NOT in the left turning lane. So pissed.

Either way, I'd always hated my rear bumper (was a repop with the ikky old black spacers) so I got a nice shiny Wolfsburg West looks like original bumper out of the deal.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rolencoaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolled a '62 as a kid of 18 in Upsate NY. Went over twice in a field at 60 mph sans seatbelts (my '66 has them now). All 3 of us walked away without a scratch. Had I had more than the enemic 6 volt headlights, I could have seen the "Dead End" sign a wee bit sooner..........
luis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: I am luck to be alive Reply with quote

1. in 1983 my friend was driving around a bend way to fast. We flipped and I was ejected. I had a slight concusion and some brusies and walked away. He did not, he died. We were both not waring lap belts.

2. 1986. I was rear ended in my 67 Ghia by a Ford F250 truck that did not see me and slammed into me at 35 mph. Pushed me into the large intersection and I was hit by the cars in the intersection. Firemen had to use the jaws of life to get me out, but not a scratch. She had no insurance.

3. 1988. I was working hard in the summer two jobs to pay for my expensive private university. Fell asleep at the wheel and plowed into a cady in my second 67 Ghia. Totally messed up the nose, bent the frame, doors would not close right. Nothing happend to the caddy. It was the 80's with heavy chrome bumpers. I was able to drive away and felt bad about killing two Ghais in less than two years.

After that last accident I gave up VW for a while until about 1992 when I had a 65 that I gave away since it had bad rust that forced fumes into the car. Jump to 2005. My 65 which I aquired and kept since 1989 is not my daily driver. I fear using it as a daily driver. Older and wiser I guess. Its more of a toy for me at this point in my life. I now drive it like an old lady and use 4 point belts. This is a must.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tacky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
joe56vw wrote:
I think part of the problem is most people don't understand
their car these kids today don't learn a thing about what's
under the hood or anything else on the car
i know people who can't even change a tire or check there oil
they souldn't be on the road

Your argument is BS. I bet you don't know how a television works, but I bet you know how to operate it.

talk about comparing apples to oranges. that makes zero sense.
Mattimus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 MPH side impact. Driver was thrown out passenger door (had his belt on before it ripped) Was in ICU for three weeks. He still can't walk straight to save his life. That is why I am getting a full NHRA legal cage in my daily driver 61.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattimus wrote:
25 MPH side impact. Driver was thrown out passenger door (had his belt on before it ripped) Was in ICU for three weeks. He still can't walk straight to save his life. That is why I am getting a full NHRA legal cage in my daily driver 61.

Damn........25mph!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattimus wrote:

wow...i was T-boned in a 71 super once...looks as though that bug was hit in the same manor....same contact area...however my super was not damaged nearly as bad as that car....i walked away and was only pissed that my cigarettes were in the map pocket of the door and they all got broken....the vehicle that nailed me was a jeep cherokee....he got a broken grill and busted radiator....he ran a stop sign at about 30mph....
56_in_714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chick i knew from junior high died driving her bug. I think she took a shrp turn getting on the freeway or something..Girly was hot too. RIP Sarah
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really fear having a side on accident in the bug.. as picture on this thread shows.. ouch..only 25mph too..

Know a girl driving a bug who got smashed (kid driving a stolen car and chroming) she got out with a fractured pelvis and other cuts..

Another guy who fainted whilst driving and rolled his bug..saw pictures of it and it held up really well..he wasn't badly injured..I think broken arm.

Racing bug did an impressive crash at high speed...rolled three times..driver walked out and was fine..this car did have a roll cage though..

If you compare them with other old cars they are fairly safe.. (front tire and even fuel tank is designed to take a lot of the impact) A 3 point seatbelt is a must though...and keep your brakes good and don't drive like your in a hurry to get to your destination.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacky wrote:
Bruce wrote:
joe56vw wrote:
I think part of the problem is most people don't understand
their car these kids today don't learn a thing about what's
under the hood or anything else on the car
i know people who can't even change a tire or check there oil
they souldn't be on the road

Your argument is BS. I bet you don't know how a television works, but I bet you know how to operate it.

talk about comparing apples to oranges. that makes zero sense.

I disagree. I know many people who haven't got a clue how a car works, but they are excellent drivers.
What does the ability to change a tire or check the oil have to do with a driver being able to read traffic patterns and antisipate the stupid things others will do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tacky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonslo61 wrote:
Mattimus wrote:

Damn........25mph!!!!

i love your idea about a cage! I WANT ONE NOW!
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that got me to thinking too... a cage doesn't sound like a half bad idea since my car isn't stock anyway.
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rolled my 73 std 3 times doing 75 on a 25 mph S turn. Had 2 other peeps in the car w/o seatbelts on. THe car came to a rest on it's side. We all came out unscathed.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a roll cage isn't "stock", all you're doing is putting a couple bolt holes in your floorpan and maybe on the firewall too. No big deal to me, and a very smart mod to make. You can always undo it later.

My Thing is getting a roll cage, and any future convertibles I own will too. Smile

- Scott

P.S. With all this talk of accidents, maybe it's true that the only VWs left in 30 years will be the trailer queens! Shocked

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
tacky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Towel Rail"]While a roll cage isn't "stock", all you're doing is putting a couple bolt holes in your floorpan and maybe on the firewall too. No big deal to me, and a very smart mod to make. You can always undo it later.

My Thing is getting a roll cage, and any future convertibles I own will too. Smile

- Scott

i wonder if a sedan cage will fit a vert? Question
ordcorpdw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got t-boned in my 1970 baja. I wasn't wearing a seat belt and I flew out the passenger window after the bug did a couple of 360's. I don't remember anything about it but I spent a few days in the hospital and left a cool stain on the sidewalk. Check out the photos in the offroad forum under "wear your seatbelts". I am not sure how to put the picture here. There is also a build up of my new one in there. Don't know why but I had to get another one. Even if your are doing everything you can to be a safe driver you can be in an accident so wear your seatbelts.
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place seems to have pretty decent pricing on roll cages and they say theirs fit the vintage bugs...
http://autoweldchassis.com/rbc.ivnu
tacky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
This place seems to have pretty decent pricing on roll cages and they say theirs fit the vintage bugs...
http://autoweldchassis.com/rbc.ivnu

thanks claire, good info!
Mattimus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canni wrote:
Know a girl driving a bug who got smashed (kid driving a stolen car and chroming) she got out with a fractured pelvis and other cuts..

Yeah, this driver had a fractured pelvis, buch of fractured ribs, lots of metal to replace parts and a giant scar up his chest.

An old co-worker got t-boned by a chevy truck going full speed on the freeway when he turned on a red light (color blind and at night). Lost his wife and has been in and out of a coma since September. No belts (although he did just buy some that day). The only one that came out decent was his 2yr old in the childs seat in the rear. The only belts in the car were on that kid. Guy doesn't even know his wife died....kinda sad.

Makes you rethink your priorities, huh?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: