Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble adjusting front brakes; 63 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowther
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Trouble adjusting front brakes; 63 bug Reply with quote

I just bled the brakes to see if that would correct the squishy pedal and uneven braking (pulling to left). It greatly improved the pedal feel but still pulled, so I began the adjusting process. Worn adjusters probably made the job a bit more frustrating, but I followed standard procedure. Did each adjuster (2 per cylinder), tightening till slight drag, then back off a couple clicks, for each shoe. Thought I had it right, but now pulls to the right. It was late so I quit there.

This could go on and on. Is there a trick to getting better adjustment w/o doing it over and over? Last time I did brake work ona car the drum brakes had self-adjusters and I was spoiled.
82 911SC daily driver
12 MiniCooper ALL4
04 F150 for big jobs
2 car garage for all of this
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. You just have to adjust them correctly, or get someone else to do it for you.
Egorspyle65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always been told you have to adjust drum brakes till they have a very slight drag. Its always worked for me. Was told this by a very reputable VW shop nearby.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjust until you have a slight drag and then back it off ONE click - not a couple clicks.

Pulling can also be caused by oil, grease or brake fluid leaking into the drum. This may also explain your squishy pedal.

you may want to pull the drums off and take a look inside.

And if you don't know how old your rubber flex lines are, it might be time to replace them. They can also make for some strange brake habits when they start to go bad.
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always adjust first and then bleed the system. If your brake hoses are collapsed it will definitely pull one way. They might "look" ok but they fail internally. If they look old, peace of mind will say replace them. One way to tell of a collapsed line is to raise the wheels off the ground and have a buddy hold the pedal down while you try to spin the wheel. If you cannot spin the wheel then you have good pressure and have him/her release the pedal, as you are trying to spin it. It should release right away, if it takes a second or two, your lines are probably restricted and need replacing. This is good for all four wheels. When I worked at a VW shop, that is how we checked them.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worked for me was first adjusting them first until they don't move at all, then pumping a lot, bleeding, and then adjusting for a slight drag.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Itawayoflife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everybody has their own method. I adjust the pads until they can't go anymore, pump the brakes a couple of times and then back them off 1 or 2 clicks or until I get one full rotation when I spin the wheel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: