Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So what are you a member of
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: what club? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WWW.VOLKSWEAR.COM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red River VW Club

Fargo, ND

Life's too short to drive a stock VW
tikitime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly German Volkswagen Association

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8269014&highlight=#8269014

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382905&highlight=

Streng Deutsch Die Völker Klub
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OCT3's.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belong to AAA.................

and AARP.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaosisme wrote:
OCT3s.

x2.

And WCBs - West Coast Bays.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeeStahlecker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight Up Dubs of Northern California
1987 Golf GL Westmoreland
2019 Tiguan SEL 4Motion
Straight Up Dubs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subwayaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Volkswagens of America
Super Beetles Only

So far; working on a couple of things locally here in AZ.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaronr25 wrote:
Red River VW Club

Fargo, ND

Head to higher ground. I hope you aren't affected by any flooding that may come up.
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: So what are you a member of Reply with quote

What national clubs are active/interesting?

I was looking at Vintage Volkswagen Club of American and Volkswagen Club of America, but I'm not positive what I would get out of the clubs (perhaps because I'm not positive what I *want* to get out of them - maybe some interesting articles and events). Maybe I should expand my horizon to the Antique Automobile Club of America.

What is the value of being a part of a club now-adays? It seems like a number of clubs I looked into in my area have...ceased to exist, or don't meet very often.

Those of you who are a part of clubs - why? I don't mean that to be an insulting question, I'm honestly just trying to understand what various folks get out of these clubs.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are you a member of Reply with quote

Almost made a decade between posts in this thread!

Clubs come in all kinds.

Ours is very low key. We meet once a month at the same place at the same time. No dues, no duties... just show up! Several drives, picnics, alone or joint with other clubs, all optional.

Others have dues, required attendance or you lose membership, too much hassle for me!

Check this thread for some near you and check them out:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are you a member of Reply with quote

Clubs and fraternities have never been my thing. I am interested in the responses to your question. I have some friends that are in clubs. I think it’s the camaraderie. Some clubs sponsor and put on car shows. Some do a lot of charity drives, some teach members to work on their cars, some are look at me, and some are about camping, some do all the above, and etc. If you are interested in a club, reach out for specifics on the club website or visit a meeting or get together. You don’t have to commit.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked

Last edited by Xevin on Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are you a member of Reply with quote

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

Groucho Marx

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are you a member of Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Clubs and fraternities have never been my thing. I am interested in the responses to your question. I have some friends that are in clubs. I think it’s the camaraderie. Some clubs sponsor and put on car shows. Some do a lot of charity drives, some teach members to work on their cars, some are look at me, and some are about camping, some do all the above, and etc. If you are interested in a club, reach out for specifics on the club website or visit a meeting or get together. You don’t have to commit.

There is definitely strength in numbers which is why I joined Vintage Volkswagen Club of America when Terry Schuler was President, about 1980- 81.Before that I was living in VW paradise Long Beach California around 1979-80. Back then you could buy nice split window bugs less than 10k and busses less than 3k. Back then you either banded together to help each other or you paid a premium because the knowledge was closely guarded and men made their livings working on these cars why would they just give it all away. We had that and Muir’s book, Haynes and Chiltons manuals but parts were cheap. I stayed with VVWCA until mid 1990s but joined a group in Tulsa Oklahoma in 1989. That group disbanded and reformed after the treasurer absconded with the money. Finally we splintered off into a small group of about 6 people under the tutelage of a semi retired VW mechanic from the 1960s. We became BMW which stands for Berry’s Motor Works. Berry had a major stroke in 2004 and that was it. Several guys have died since then but it’s down to me and type3Tim as original members. We still get together and several new people have come into the fold including the former a guy that operated VW repair and Parts store for over 30 years. Now that we are all getting older we’ve definitely slowed down but I could count on these guys to help if needed. I can’t imagine being an antisocial loner doing this all by myself. I value these friendships that have lasted decades.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are you a member of Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:

I was looking at Vintage Volkswagen Club of American and Volkswagen Club of America, but I'm not positive what I would get out of the clubs (perhaps because I'm not positive what I *want* to get out of them - maybe some interesting articles and events). Maybe I should expand my horizon to the Antique Automobile Club of America.

What is the value of being a part of a club now-adays? It seems like a number of clubs I looked into in my area have...ceased to exist, or don't meet very often.

Those of you who are a part of clubs - why? I don't mean that to be an insulting question, I'm honestly just trying to understand what various folks get out of these clubs.

And that attitude my friend will get you nothing but disappointment for both you and the existing members! Clubs exist for sharing, helping and encouraging others of similar interests. The "What's in it for me?" guys as a general rule only drag a club down, ask me how I know after being president of a local club for 8+ years and a member for over 20.

If you are not interested in sharing and helping others then no club out there needs you. Go into a club instead with a "How can I help out with this club and it's causes" and you will be welcomed with open arms and reap more benefits from your time and efforts than you ever thought possible!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are you a member of Reply with quote

The only automotive related club here is an hour away and is a general "motoring" club that accepts anything between bicycles and highway transport trucks. I participated in one of their events for the first time last summer and while it was all good and they were very welcoming I got the distinct "lone wolf" feeling as there appears to be no other VW oriented members on their 300+ membership list. It was mostly older American built iron and monster trucks. There were 2 fellows that actually knew what a glass street Buggy was but I was put in with quad/side by side/dirt bike class.

Still thinking about this club... I might hang around, bring a car or two, (the sand rail might suit them better!) help with the events and see if anything develops. There was one audience fellow stopped and visited who runs a 1600 in a rail with dual 48 mm Webers... ??!! Had lots of "big win" stories! Rolling Eyes
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are you a member of Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
harrymarlin wrote:

And that attitude my friend will get you nothing but disappointment for both you and the existing members! Clubs exist for sharing, helping and encouraging others of similar interests. The "What's in it for me?" guys as a general rule only drag a club down, ask me how I know after being president of a local club for 8+ years and a member for over 20.

If you are not interested in sharing and helping others then no club out there needs you. Go into a club instead with a "How can I help out with this club and it's causes" and you will be welcomed with open arms and reap more benefits from your time and efforts than you ever thought possible!

This is what happened to our larger club in Tulsa. People that only showed up to enjoy the shows or dinners but didn’t want to help. Some only wanted to eat and they didn’t even drive VWs, they showed up driving Buicks or Toyotas 😀 so this is why we splintered off into the guys that actually worked on our cars, The eaters formed their own clique. Another faction was the Shriners they did their thing so you got all these different groups within the main club. It’s all good do your own thing I say.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are you a member of Reply with quote

I take back what I said. I am a member of a club. It’s called The Samba. I renewed my star ⭐️ next to my name just now (Premium member) . I appreciate The Samba. Thank you Everett and Jen for doing Yard Duty and keeping this group on the rails. Take my $45 and get yourself something nice Laughing
Big thanks to all you all that contribute to The Samba, either with technical tips, funny shit, building stuff, friendship, goofs, trouble shooting, pissy fuck VW guru that brings the heat, and so many other people. I’ve seen so many ways a person can solve a VW problem. Some use the Bentley, some use common sense, and some use experience, or all the above. For the most part people on the Samba want Samba users to succeed. Would be cool if society did the same for each other like we do in The Samba.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: