Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'80 ac vanagon fuel gauge
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: '80 ac vanagon fuel gauge Reply with quote

Does anyone have an explanation as to why my fuel gauge works only when my headlights are on, or when it's very humid - like raining? I'm assuming it's a bad ground on the sender. Who has some guesses?

jamie foust
des moines, iowa

Last edited by jmfoust on Mon May 23, 2005 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cnskate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gauge on my 80 only works when it is full, thank goodness for the big tank and odometer.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take off the guage pod and look on the back of the fuel guage there should be a small black square thing with three prongs coming off it, make sure this is present, the prongs are connected, and it is screwed to the board.
H-four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

Well, this is all very timely. I filled up yesterday, and this afternoon, after work, the gauge only registered 1/2 full. I will check for the little black think. I seem to remember a post about this a while back.

If the little black thing isn't there, can you get them?
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy if your gague works sometimes, and doesn't others, you have a bad sending unit, or a bad gague. the stabilizer is just that, a stabilizer. it just makes it so the needle doesn't move around evry time the gas sloshes around. If your gague is "seasonal", you should get under there and check all connections, you probably have some corosion somewhere. there isn't much juice running through there, and a little corosion goes a long way. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: