Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Point me to good cylinder head information?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Point me to good cylinder head information? Reply with quote

I am looking for info on the different types of heads (041-044) as well as different manufactures, etc. I'd like to know at what power levels and intended usages the different heads work the best, as well as valve size, as delivered port performance compared to ported, etc

The motor plan is coming together niceley, and the bottom end is about hammered out, just need to work on picking out heads and cam next.

Here's the trail I am taking:
2 seater sandrail
well built trans with 4.37 gear
Kennedy stage 3 PP
2276 motor (94mm bore with forged mahle pistons, 82mm stroke - welded, balanced and counterweighted crank, 5.6 scat or CB h-beam rods, balanced)
11:1 compression
custom Fuel injection controlled by a haltech f5or f7

As far as can I am thinking something along the lines of a w-125 or maybe a scat C55. I am thinking with my gear and the torque of the long stroke coupled with the lightweight of the vehicle, I can use a cam with more mid to top end hit, as the low end will be pretty scary anyway.

I have looked at a LOT of heads (mainly stuff that CB sells) and I have no clue what's good out of the box and what needs work before use, etc.

I have a death wish I think...I want scary power Smile It's always ben a dream to build a vehicle that's way too light and put in way too much power Very Happy

So...head and cam suggestions? This is not an unlimited budget build...so for heads I'd kinda like to stay under $500 for the pair if possible. I haves ome ported 041s right now, and if you think they will do the job, tell me. If not, tell me that and I will sell them and buy something better Smile
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of odd when noone here has an opinion on something! lol

C'mon guys Smile
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Timber...Timber. Reply with quote

Timber...I see you have a deathwish. Laughing

After all that yap in the rod length tread, are you finally decided? Did we tell you all you wanted to know? Some are more willing to share info than others but otherwise a good group.

11: 1 CR? are you sure? Race fuel only?

Any of the heads are ready as is...from factory. The massaging of heads does not come from factory.

Even the CB O44s with CNC porting is still tight on the intake manifold areas. I have done a set last week to a fellow there in Battle Creek.

The heads will dictate what kind of power the engine will make. While you can theorethically run higher CR with more cam, are you sure this is what you want?

A good port job is not going to be cheap. Consider this expense of going fast. CC'ing the chambers, porting and polishing, match porting the manifolds and so on. I would put better valves...like Manleys from AirCooled.net (John Connolly) He would give you a good deal on packages of these valves.

There are a lot of porters out there. But be careful. They are not all the same quality. Some are more expensive than others and some are more bastard than others.

Good luck though. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was talking to Brian (the guy whose heads you have) just tonight. He has a sandrail chassis for sale that I was looking at as a possible second project or replacement for my chassis (since it's about 2 feet longer). He lives about 5 minutes from me. Told me the story of the heads being broken in shipment.

Deathwish? Hell yeah! Life is not meant to end peacefully for me... I plan to powerslide across the finishline in a ball of fire screaming "Man what a ride!" when it's my time to go LOL

I have no problem with race fuel only. It's $3.39 a gallon here for Torco 110. Considering the price of 93 octane premium here in Michigan that's not too bad of a hit! My tank only holds 5 gallons, and I only run the rail maybe 100 miles a month total. With the fuel injection I am not too worried about fuel mileage so much Smile

Are the 044 ports that much better than the 041 though? I have ported 041s now ("D" ported intakes) but the valves are definitely way too small. SHould I just have new seats put in for larger valves and finish out the porting on these or is there a better base to start with?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: question of the day. Reply with quote

Yea..I got to get Brian ready for his thing. It is just bad luck with this shipment.

Anyway, personally I would start with a Brazilian 040 casting and machine for bigger valves. I like the material better.

The 044s are good choices too...more meat in the intakes..no welding required...deep plugs too.

For me, I like to dictate a lot of things in the build. I would like to know the press fit in the seats and stuff. I am just too much with my own stuff. I like to bore my own case and heads. Somehow I just do not like others' work. Laughing

Plenty of heads to go around.

5 minutes? that is very close...you could walk there with your eyes closed man.

good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: question of the day. Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Yea..I got to get Brian ready for his thing. It is just bad luck with this shipment.

yep, he's definitely ready and waiting. The manx thing he has is ready to go together once the heads arrive he says.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Timber...Timber. Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Timber...I see you have a deathwish. Laughing

After all that yap in the rod length tread, are you finally decided? Did we tell you all you wanted to know? Some are more willing to share info than others but otherwise a good group.

11: 1 CR? are you sure? Race fuel only?

Any of the heads are ready as is...from factory. The massaging of heads does not come from factory.

Even the CB O44s with CNC porting is still tight on the intake manifold areas. I have done a set last week to a fellow there in Battle Creek.

The heads will dictate what kind of power the engine will make. While you can theorethically run higher CR with more cam, are you sure this is what you want?

A good port job is not going to be cheap. Consider this expense of going fast. CC'ing the chambers, porting and polishing, match porting the manifolds and so on. I would put better valves...like Manleys from AirCooled.net (John Connolly) He would give you a good deal on packages of these valves.

There are a lot of porters out there. But be careful. They are not all the same quality. Some are more expensive than others and some are more bastard than others.

Good luck though. Wink

I am running 9.8 to 1 compression on my 2276 with a VZ15 cam and 1.1 rockers and dual 44's. I am (obviously) running my 050 heads ported (42mm x 37.5mm stainless valves). The thing runs like a bat out of hell and it is a stock 72 beetle. Pump gas is no problem with 9.8. I haven't run 11 to 1 though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Muffler Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an opinion.
Stage 3 PP's and 4.37's dont go well together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffler Mike wrote:
I have an opinion.
Stage 3 PP's and 4.37's dont go well together.

I wondered about that. The stage 3 seems like overkill to me and from what I have read. But it was what was in there when I got it. I had considered offering it up to trade for a stage 2 if anyone was interested.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: