Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 Vanagon tow hitch and bike rack questions (need advice)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfraki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: 87 Vanagon tow hitch and bike rack questions (need advice) Reply with quote

I'm a new owner of an 87 Westy Vanagon (my first). I will be needing a tow hitch, roof rack and bike rack. I'm a little confused about the best type of bolt on accessories. Please direct me if you have any ideas.

1. What type of tow hitch should I get? I read somewhere to avoid the type that bolts to the loops. Is there another bolt on brand that's stronger? I may be towing a fairly heavy motorcycle on a trailer. Any ideas about brands or suppliers? How about the wiring harness?

2. I will also need a 3-bike bike rack that mounts to the rear hatch door. I've seen a few out there but I have no idea what works best. Any suggestions?

3. And then there's the kayak and surf boards. I was planning on a top mount Yakima or Thule that bolts into the pop top. Seems pretty straight forward, unless you know something I don't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Craig

CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast foward.ca sells a class 3 reciver hitch for the vanagons,yes i know about the tow wieght of the vanagon but they will only advise of towing 1000 lbs . also you can get a roof rack that does NOT mount to the pop top . and various accesseriers . i'm not computer savy but here it is go to limbo site than click on the web links ,go all the way down to the bottom u will see on the left side with a link called ladders /racks . there u go .the pop top has a max wieght of 150 lbs . i dont think you would want to lower the value of the van by drilling in to the roof. nor do you want to worry about a leak Very Happy
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you first hand, my 88 Carat has towned alot MORE than 1000 pounds.

Just last week I had 8100 gross on a diesel Vanagon, 5000 empty with the trailer weighing in a 1640...

My Carat 88 tows a twin axle car carrier, which lite weight weights about 1900 pounds, the Cortina weighs 1860. I had a Toyota 4x4 on it once, and will probably go get that 89 GL up North just because the price is right...

I towed a Passat VR6 93 back from Florida on a Uhaul car carrier tied to the Carat. I do have a hitch that was built by a local shop that mounts to the frame, back behind the engine to the trannie...but, well worth the weight distribution it affords me..

And today, we are laying cement in my driveway. A yard of cement plus the trailer...my diesel Vanagon and one of my older 1.9's has that simple mount that connects to the clips under the bumper.

Karl turned me on to a unit once that bolts to the bumper mounts up under the bumper.
angelchild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..I'm looking at getting an 85 Vanagon Westy (not Diesel), ... need to be able to tow an air cooled beetle (w/ tow bar) with the van loaded.
Beetles are pretty light so I thought it wouldn't be too bad - but I'm not talking about down the street - I mean LONG distance...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: