Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carb issue?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neophish7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: carb issue? Reply with quote

So i recently pulled the 17 liter engine from the bus.I also pulled carbs and cleaned them. Im runnin stock carbs with the pertronix electric ignition. After puttin engine back in motor keeps missing under a load especially third gear and sometimes at idle. Could this be a fuel issue? What should I look for? I dont know what the gap should be on ignition. I installed a new fuel pump and filter. Kinda thinkin that the carbs arent synced in just right. Any suggestions?
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it COULD be a fuel issue, but you describe it as a "miss". That sounds more like ignition. The Pertronix is supposed to be a "set and forget" thing. I don't know what the gap is supposed to be since they give you a little sliver of plastic to use to gap it. If you don't have that, ask Pertronix what the gap is and try to get a non-magnetic (brass) feeler gauge to set it with. The standard plug gap is .028". I just re-gapped mine to .035 to make better use of the Pertronix and Flamethrower coil.

If it's a miss, check your plug wires and inspect the orange ceramic insulators for cracks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
neophish7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive already changed p&w for all 4 cylinders checked timing and valves and cant seem to think that maybe carbs arent lettin enuff fuel in ... starving?
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did the old fuel filter look like?

Get a fuel sample and have a look at it for water or junk.
You'll need a carb synchronizer to properly balance the carbs.
If the valves are properly adjusted and you're sure you have no vacuum leaks, you can start by setting both carbs the same as a baseline (same number of turns on mixture, etc.).

Stock distributor or 009?
If the van's been sitting for a long time, drain the tank and put in new gas. Gasoline doesn't last like it used to. It probably wouldn't hurt to throw in an addative like Seafoam just once either. If you saw any crap or water in the fuel sample, do the above draining, change the filter again, and you might have to clean the carbs again as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
neophish7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for pulling the motor was I resealed the tank with por 15. So filters are good Im just kinda unsure how to set carbs up 009 distributor
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.

At least SOME of what you're experiencing is probably due to the 009.
Being a centrifugal ONLY advance mechanism, it simply cannot react to load. the only way to get ignition advance with that dizzie is to make it spin faster. the only way to make it spin faster is to rev the enine, the only way to rev the engine is to advance the ignition timing....

Catch 22. What most fans of the 009 end up doing is adjusting the output of the accellerator pump (s) to give it more gas to get the engine revving.
All in all, not good for engine life. To add to the already reduced gas mileage due to the increased accellerator pump output, you'll find yourself leaning on it more to get going and climb hills, etc.

Try to find an original dizzie. Failing that, look for an SVDA (Cip, aircooled.net).
neophish7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the only issue that I have with that is the engine was runnin like a top the day I pulled the motor. So im thinkin I wacked somethin out of adjustment. Thanks for all your help. Any thing else to check?
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only hope something I've said helps.

You mention that you replaced the pump.
I suppose if you're starving under load, you've probably got your foot dawn at the time. I suggest you test the pump flow and re-check your float settings.

I recently did the POR tank thing too and I've seen no problems so far.
There is at least one member who has had trouble with it peeling off inside the tank so I suppose it might be a good idea to see what you can inside the filler neck to make sure.

Beyond that, all I can think of is balance the carbs and check the basics like spark, etc.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check and see if you pinched or kinked a fuel line during reassembly. It doesn't take much of a kink or pinch to restrict fuel delivery. Also check your fuel tee i've seen the barb shave the fuel line internaly and cause a restriction as well.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: