Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm finally driving my Bus!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: I'm finally driving my Bus! Reply with quote

I've had my Bus on the road for a few months and I've driven it short distances, but I took my chances and put at least 130 miles on it in the last 24 hours. After a full tune-up, replacing all those ancient rubber fuel lines, scraping the caked oil off the heater boxes (now I'm not getting smoked out all the time! Razz ), and having my friend fix my headlights. I finally decided enough was enough and I took an hour long cruise on the rural roads near my house last night. Part of that in a rain storm. That was practice for today. Then, I took a chance and drove about 30 miles today (4 times over) to pick someone up, drove to our annual VW Memorial day picnic, then back, then home again. All without any problems.

I was having second thoughts about it, but after today I love my Bus 10X more and never want to sell it. I got many waves, honks, people wanting me to honk the horn, and lots of people checking it out and asking me about it. I was the only air-cooled VW there, but even with all of the nice modified newer VWs and Audis, I still had a crowd around my beat-up Bus. It hummed along at 55-60 smoothly, and it was a beautiful day weather-wise. In Buffalo you enjoy the nice spring weather a lot more. So now I'm feeling better about my cars. Half an hour after replacing a frozen caliper and a brake line on my Mercedes the other day, I went for a drive and 15 minutes later I was limping the car home in second gear when the car decided it didn't want to shift anymore. The shifter won't move! I just finished full-time school for the year, and I'm working full time, so my Bus and other cars have just been sitting idle since I had NO time. Getting this Bus out really made my week!

So tommorow I'm using my day off the seek out a new set of thin whitewalls for it, I need tires bad! Then I'll fix the gas pedal, and I'm looking for retractable belts since I plan on driving this a bit. I'm having a girl do a little artwork around my front emblem soon too, I can't wait! I haven't really been on Samba in a while, I've been a little discouraged so I took a break. That and the lack of time to get anything done. So it felt really good sitting behind the wheel of that Bus today Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to get load rated D tires. The stiffer sidewalls will make your bus handle better.
Elwood-Bluesvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it feels good - just do it--
What a pleasant -feel good story to read on the Samba- think of it as Memorial w/o WAR--- forward for mor e of Bay busses for peace and pleasure.

Looking for og steering box
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: