Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake adjustment problem
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
schlanks70vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Brake adjustment problem Reply with quote

i've got new brake pads, new slave cylinders on all four tires. I've gone around all the wheels and tighted the shoes just until they rub the drums.. now the problem i'm having is, on the left front tire... I screw it down till it slightly rubs the drum then i reach up.. press on the brake pedal, then go back down and spin the wheel again only to find out that the shoes aren't hitting the drum anymore. Is there a bad slave cylinder? or something else that i'm overlooking..

thanks in advance...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new shoes and wheel cylinders (not slave) are only the beginning. There are soft lines that should probably be replaced and then you need to make triple sure that everything is tight.

Bleed, bleed, bleed forever until you are absolutely positive there is no air in the lines. Air is my first guess.
SBS #00
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try adjusting it some more now, maybe the shoes were just not centered and now they are.

when i adjust brakes i adjust them out as hard as i can to be sure they are centered then i back them off slightly till i can spind the wheel with slight drag.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you adjust them drive around the block and do it again, make sure your hoses are good also.
What year bus, do you have the right hardware, did you put the springs on right. Are the shoes seated in the wheel cylinder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
angus_hanger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
new shoes and wheel cylinders (not slave) are only the beginning. There are soft lines that should probably be replaced and then you need to make triple sure that everything is tight.

Bleed, bleed, bleed forever until you are absolutely positive there is no air in the lines. Air is my first guess.

I'm with NAES ... collapsed or air in the lines would be my guess.

Cheers!

Lancer
"Why yes sir, Sheriff, I do like Fat Chicks."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it rains it pours. I'm having to do abunch of brake work right now on a few VWs, a couple guys on a Thing email thread are having brake problems. I was driving merrily along today and noticed some sponginess developing in the brakes, after a few blocks the brakes were gone, thank the cosmos for e-brake. somehow the left front bleeder had come loose. I hadn't touched my brakes since last summer.

Anyway, I'd agree with previous posts, bad soft line, air , and when adjusting get them as tight as you can and back them off.

good luck, and let us know what you find.
Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 67 had a right front wheel that would brake hard then stick like crazy. Turned out to be a collapsed rubber line. It would let the fluid be pumped thru it but it wouldn't let it back out. Works great, i'm gonna change the rears just in case also.
schlanks70vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Problem solved!! thanks everyone. Reply with quote

I can now stop with no problem. It was two things.. I tightened the shoes to the drums and backed off till they just grazed the drum. Then I went around and blead the brakes and YEP there was still air in the lines. I will however replace the soft lines ASAP but for now I was driving it around my neighborhood and came to a stop sign. I'm still restoring the bus so all the seats and everything else are just pilled in the back... well, I hit the brakes and the bus STOPPED everything flew forward including me haha so the work great..... BTW someone asked what year... it's a 67... 13window... Thanks again for the help

Shane....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: