Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BOSCH oil filter....
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwkess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: BOSCH oil filter.... Reply with quote

Is it any good? Can't find any place near where I work that carries Mann or Mahle filters anymore... suppose I could try the VW dealer, but I doubt they stock it.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get them at the bus depot. 3 to a box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what Ive been reading everyone likes Mann/Mahle, Wix..... because they have a check valve ( anti-drainback). Check this out http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ ( oil filter study) After reading this I think i'll buy generic. ( Power flo $ 1.99 on sale from FLAPS) Laughing
atarasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I feel the vanagons really benefit from the German made filters. I changed my oil and replaced the Mahle filter that was in there with your typical Fram oil filter. I added the oil, ran it, checked for leaks and put my tools away. The next day I started it and noticed the valves making a lot of noise. I had read an acticle on the importance of a good filter and replaced the Fram filter with a Mahle. It started up without any noise and hasn't since. Coincidence? You decide!
(I find good buys on Mahle or Mann filters on ebay)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
molson88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same experience with Fram filters, on both my older 1.9L Vanagon, and on my '93 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L. Fram filters = noisy lifters, OEM quality filters = smooth and quiet. It was an easy decision for me.
83 Vanagon Camper (best forgotten...)
2012 Audi Q5 3.2L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work we cut open a new Fram, a new Mann, and a new Pureoilator.

The fram was garbage. Paper with a wimpy bypass valve (and no anti drainback).

The Pureoilator (sp) Pure 1 was made as well as the Mann/Mhale units, but the Mann was the "Man". Solid construction, and it made me start running Pureoilators in my Nissan rather than Frams, and I saw quicly the lack of valve tap on startup...

While Fram may be "good" for a Ford Contour, it has no place in a Vanvaon with a picky oil pressure warning system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
atarasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to K&N's website, their oil filters have an "anti-drainback valve (where applicable)". I've looked at those filters for my Rabbit and Sciroccos in the past, but they are expensive. I use Mann filters on my cars, and currently have a Mahle on my vanagon. Why fix something that isn't bwoken!
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K&N are ok, but not worth the extra $$. We cut open a used one to find the pleats FOLDED OVER from oil pressure! Bad design! Pht!!! Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwkess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... interesting reading on that link there. I stopped using Fram many years ago; I too found them to cause valve train noise. Used AC Delco filters and Purelator PureOne in the past and was pleased with the construction of the filters etc. I guess I'll order some up from Bus Depot; need to get some other things anyway. Was hoping I could find a place more local; don't like to pay shipping if I don't have to.
jtroll333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 86 vanagon 2.1 and i like to use K&N oil filters a little bit high but well worth the money I think !! Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: