Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Many newbie questions to prevent honeymoon disaster
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mobowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Many newbie questions to prevent honeymoon disaster Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and recently purchased an 86 westy with 140k miles in S Carolina and drove it home to Mass. We had a few drivability issues getting it home but we made it. It's on its second motor with 80k miles on it. I'm prepping it for our 2 week honeymoon trip up along the Maine coast to Nova Scotia in July.

Some things I need help with:

1) Any tricks for removing a stubborn O2 sensor? I plan to drench it one more night with solvent and then get a long boxend wrench on it and start hammering. Bad idea? Will heating it help?

2) The motor doesn't seem to want to fast idle when warming up. The coolant temp senor checked out okay so now I suspect the idle stablizer. I removed it and it the plunger moves when I turn on the ignition. However, Bentley says it "must vibrate and hum" when idling. I don't feel it vibrating or humming. Thoughts?

3) What's the proper way to remove to dash cover to get at the clutch/brake fluid reservoir? Bentley says "Grasp two recesses on back of dashboard cover and pull up". I tried that and I feel like I'm ready to break my lovely dash.

4) Okay, this one is embarassing: how do you fill up the windshield washer bottle up front? I'm assuming it's that jug I see undercab by the driver's seat. The neck of it looks like it goes right into the sink cabinet but there's no access there.

5) Anyone know some good VW mechanics up the Maine coast if we have problems? I'm bring all the tools and spare parts I can fit under the rear seat (extra mass air flow sesnor, coolant sensor, fuel pump relay). Advice on other parts to bring?

6) Finally Does anyone have some suggestions for soothing words for my wife-to-be if we break down and miss our boat for Isle Au Haut on our Honeymoon night?

Thanks.

Craig
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the bride to be: I know a great divorce lawyer.... Embarassed

Lift the carpet to get to the windshield washer bottle
Grasp the cover from the windshield side, pull back towards you. There are two metal clips on the right and the left side of the cover that holds it in place, the front part just fits kinda, sorta, in the groves, pull it all towards you, it will snap off in your hands,,,,,,,,literally,,,,!!!! No it should just pop off----

Idle can be turned up...Throttle body you will see a screw which can up the idle a bit

as for the 02...get a good socket, worst case scenario is you will snap it all off, thusly causing you to have to buy a complete new exhaust system, which, could be added to the the WANT LIST at where the lovely bride to be has registered..

actually it should come off with a good socket, something that will get a good bite on all angles. Use a good rachet wrench and tug...
walrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 I don't see why the other guy suggested a socket as the o2 sensor has wires. They do make a special socket with sides cutout but a wrench should work fine. Yes, heat is good. A torch is best because you can heat the outside really fast. With a handheld propane it tends to heat slowly and thus both sensor and bung heat up about the same rate. Sometimes heating and cooling cycles help and also apply liberal amounts of penetrating fluid when as it cools. Try to tighten it as well.

2 I believe bentley tells you how to check the stabilizer. So from memory I believe it works intermittently(vibrating) so a test light should flicker. You can hook it to 12 volt to check the operation of the stabillizer but you said it works when key is on.

I would test drive that sucker as much as possible to find problems now and not later.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the beetleshop in belfast maine!!! good people, parts vans on the property & jim can tell you where to get cheap lobster.
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy It is OK to use socket to remove o2 sensor. cut nthe wires and slide it on. instead of buying the sensor made specifically for the vanagon, get the universal 3 wire sensor from bosh... clip your harness plug and splice it to the new sensor. bosh charges like $20 just for the plug. check www.volkscafe.com they sell both so you can look at the cost... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobo said he was using a "solvent" on the O2 sensor.

Bad choice. Solvent won't work.

You need penetrating oil, something like PB Blaster, and soak the hell out of it for a couple of days first. Penetrating oil will work, but it takes some time to get down the threads. Patience will save your exhaust.
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy don't use anything with silicone in it. when you put the new one in, it will burn off and contaminate the sensor. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they, gave u a lot fo good advice on the o2 sensor,now lets talk about the honeymoon Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil just let her now that you will bring a few friends a long Wink . heres a few good friends that i know . the type 2 a.i.r.s. list ,which will is a list of most of the vw van fans are listed for the emergincies,which is listed by state / providice . and the vanagon rescue squad lists they are the same as the airs list but smaller .oh i almost forgot to tell u ,raise the limit of your credit cards. Laughing Laughing Wink
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will like NS if you have never been there. Great people who are super nice. Lot of great camping and looking at wierd stuff. Halifax if a very livable place with great food. Lots of interesting history.

Suggestion: Stay away from trying to justify or defend US foreign policy. There really is no logic to it. Just take it on the chin and move on.

When you are in Bar Harbor, take the cruise over to look at the Puffins. Well worth it. Lots of whales also. Lots of nice mountain biking opportunities in Acadia.

Other advice....take your time, be gentle, take care of her, no need to hurry, be nice, you are embarking on a long term relationship and it takes time for you to get used to each other so give it time. Embarassed

Oh that was bus advice. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and when all else fails, use a big freekin' pipe wrench! oh, that was marriage advice Shocked Just kidding all Laughing

When I know that the O2 sensor is going to be replaced, the last attempt is with a big pipe wrench, use a cheater if you need. If the threads come too, start grinding and get a new nut/bung to weld on. Universal Bosch O2 sensors are the way to go.

My wife and I took my '85 to the outer banks for our honeymoon. We had a great time, but really could have moved along the coast alot slower.

Mom and dad took their '73 to NS, Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island several years back. Mom said it was a great trip, but pop kept going and going and wouldnt stay to enjoy the local sites. I think that is good marriage advice too, they have been married for 53 years. quite a few while owning busses, from splits to wedges.
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW - I BROKE my 02 sensor socket on my Westy. Ended up using a MAP torch, PB Blaster, and a big-azzz pipe wrench.

Never, ever have I seen one that stuck, and I used to work for Ford!! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3 of mine in 3 different cars came off easily with the $7 3/8" drive socket from the flaps. Maybe I just got lucky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mjamgb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) PB'laster and your wrench should do it. IF it breaks off, any muffler shop can weld in a new bung for another sensor.
2) It's not your stabilizer, it's your fast idle circuit. A by-pass air valve under all that hose plumbing. Find it in your Bently. If you by-pass the stabilizer by plugging the ends of the leads together the engine will run just like it did before therefore stabilizer not making the problem. If I'm wrong and the engine runs better, well, go get a new stabilizer!
3) It always feels like it wil break. Someday it will. Crumby design but, Oh-well. I have seen a lot of vanagons in the bone-yard and one in twenty has a decent Binnacle.
4) The carpet to lift is under the driver's feet.
5) Sorry, I live in Nevada.
6) Honey, I'm outta gas (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)!

good luck,

Mike!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look around you will find many good Vw guys in Mass. and Maine.
In Maine you have a whole VW club, and Mass. is where LIMBO the Late Model Bus club started !!
Do a little hunting, Limbo & Neato have the TTT: Transporter Tourist & Traveler directory, which has lots of VW Bus people that will help you out if you need it, 35 people in Mass. alone.
As far as the Honey Moon, my wife & I lived in a '65 camper the 1st month after we got married (1985), if shes into Vw Buses, she'll be cool....... Good luck on BOTH !!!!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
mobowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the good advice, technical, marital, and otherwise. The O2 sensor came loose after a couple nights of PB Blaster, an old plumber's acetylene torch on the bung, a long box end wrench, and a big hammer. No casualties!

Took the Westy for a 100 mile test drive On Sunday. No problems to report except that the oil pressure light and nasty buzzer came on once when I exited the highway and was rolling to a stop. While I was idling at the light figuring out where to pull over, the buzzer and light shut off. I pulled over and checked and there's plenty of oil.

The motor has ~80k on it so I really hope there isn't an oil pressure problem. Are the oil pressure switches known to be unreliable? I guess I need to hook up a gauge to find out... Thanks.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see what kind of oil filter you are using, a Fram is a no-no
read about it here:
http://www.vanagon.com/info/articles/oil-pressure-probs/index.html
mjamgb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The low level buzzer unit is a headache for many and a blessing for others... Try fresh oil, quality filter and expect it will come on after you have really pushed the engine (momentary low idle speed and hot oil will combine for enough of a pressure drop to set it off until either idle comes up or is cools off).

If it happens at speed, STOP! At idle is not so much of an issue but you did good to check.

Mike!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: