Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SHMO's Baja
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my rough measurements, the Eco motor is about the same height as a stock Type I when you consider the fan shroud. So, height should not be any concern. As for length, it is rather close when you consider a rear mounted exhaust on a Type I motor adding to its overall length. The Ecotec has a side exhaust. I am hoping that the transplant will go in smoothly. My worst case scenario would be to completely rebuild the engine cage. And, that would not be the end of the world to gain roughly 100hp. Wink

SHMO
imp558
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this for the first time, didn't realize the extent of the metal work and such until now. What a shame the cage will possibly need to be moified to allow for the extra length of the Ecotec. Will the hieght of the engine be a concern? Imp558
flipped cracker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that thing is friggin' sweet.
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have had a lot of fun putting this car together.

As for Mexico, we had a blast. The car worked really well. We actually trailered it down. I couldn't imagine a 3000 mile road trip in a topless Baja to go off roading.... Shocked...I just had visions of me, the car, a broken part, 1000 miles of desert and a bunch of vultures hovering over head...lol

Here are a few more pics showing some of the sheet metal detail............

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

blarneyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! I live in Everson, just down the road a piece. I'm in Lynden all the time and I've never seen that car. OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

I hope you are going to take it to some of the local VW shows!?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, the tube work is just amazing...

well, the whole baja is a nice piece of art
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beauty you got there. I like you color choices with the blue and gunmetal.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
_=VWBaja70=_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked out your gallery SHMO. Looks like good times in Mexico. Did you drive the baja all the down or tow it?

I'm on the Olympic Peninsula so if you are in the area pop an e-mail.

_=VWBaja70=_
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya that was pretty funny about the Civic flames there Timmy Mad . However, these are the real deal. I do custom painting as a side job (usually 10-20 custom bikes and cars a year). Here are some closeups of the flames. However, keep in mind that my camera is marginal at best. And the images are compressed, so the detailing and colors are not the greatest. They look MUCH better in person.

This is a little airbrushing I applied to the glove compartment

I did all of the tube work myself, including the bending and welding. I'm a certified welder. Some of the welds on the car are Tig, but the majorities are Mig welds. The joints were filled and smoothed prior to painting. You cannot achieve this look otherwise, regardless of the welder’s ability.

Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the bad note..

the question was reservoir shocks with a rear seat and protecting the passengers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude...

I'm embarrassed and owe you an apology...

I thought the flames were the magnets that were stolen from a Civic.

You must feel honored they turned your flames into stick-on clip art.

Tech Questions
I'm guessing you bent all the tube yes/no + comments

You're the only one I can remember with reservoir shocks --- how do you mount so that back seat people remain safe?

Truth on Welds... are you a master welder or did you grind and fill all of your joints?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bk63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one nice looking looking baja Cool
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: SHMO's Baja Reply with quote

Here is a breakdown on my Baja Project.

The car started out as a 1969 Hardtop body that was badly rusted. It required replacing the rusted parcel area, passenger heater channel and a section of the front firewall. After that was complete, a lot of custom metal work was involved to turn it into the topless Baja you see now. All of the sheet metal work on the doors and the rear of the car were radiused to match the factory lines. The body includes a "trimmed" wide eye Baja kit, along with high mount race fenders in the rear. There are numerous body mods such as radiused reliefs around the rear shocks and metal detailing around the rear roll cage. The dash was also welded and smoothed. The body is painted in House of colors "tru blue" basecoat. The flames were done in prime time yellow, fading into Osha orange with viper red highlights at the tips. The flames were then wrapped with lime green pinstripes before the whole car was covered in PPG Urethane clear coat, wet sand and then polished.

The Interior of the car consists of Chevy Cavalier seats up front and a custom built rear seat, all covered in gray tweed. The door panels were custom built and covered in tweed as well. The dash houses White face Faria Gauges, Pioneer CD player and the necessary indicator lights. A custom steering wheel was used along with the modified factory steering column. The floors are covered in dark gray carpet. All of the wiring on the car was removed and re-done using late model relays and fuse blocks.

The chassis is mostly tubular but retains the stock pan as well. A roll cage is tied from front to rear and supports the suspension, shocks, bumpers, cage and so-on. The front bumper/skid plate and engine cage were fabricated, and all of the visible joints of the tubing were smoothed before being painted with a 2005 GM "Titanium" color.

The chassis was also stretched 4.5 inches out front with a 7-inch wider link pin beam, beefed lift spindles, disc brakes 1 1/8 aluminum tie rods, heim ends and other assorted pieces. The rear received tubular 2x3 trailing arms with Bus axles, 28mm Sway Away torsion bars, Type IV CV joints and disc brakes. The car has Bilstein remote reservoir shocks at all four corners. The tranny is an 091 shifted with a "old school" Hurst shifter. The motor is a mild 1915cc, but it has all of the "goodies needed for off road use. Things were added such as Full flow oiling with remote filter, hydraulic grade lines and fittings, sand seal, filters and degree pulley. The fan shroud was also modified to accept a type IV oil cooler before being smoothed and painted the GM Titanium color. Additonal motor parts include CB performance 042 heads, swivel feet adjusters, mild cam, "worked over" dual Kadron carbs with Scat linkage, Custom Vaccum advance setup with Pertonix ignition, Ceramic coated Tri-mill with quiet pack and a lightened flywheel.

There is more to the car, but this hits on the majority of the points. I hope you like it. Let me know what you think.

SHMO

Last edited by SHMO on Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: