Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

creative gauges...ideas please
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: creative gauges...ideas please Reply with quote

VDO cockpit classics are pretty cool. The 356 gauges are neat, but who has done something orginal? I looked at some vintage Ferraris recently, and noticed these cool Jaeger gauges also commonly used in vintage British cars. Does anybody have some pics of cool custom dashboards. Or perhaps a link to some neat looking aftermarket gauges?

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeroff
Argumentative Bastard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my gauges restored and mildly customised by John Troia.
He also converted my clock into a tachometer.
His is the only experience I have had with this type of work but, the results were superb. John is a great guy to deal with and the prices are very reasonable. I think his web address is " [email protected]", but he advertises on the Samba regularly, a search should find him.
Chris.

Headlinerless 57 Ghia
Thread deleter extrordinaire.
custom ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: guages Reply with quote

gatorjos,
I am redoing my dash at the present time, using the vdo cockpit guages, but I built a cluster that sets the guages back into the dash more like newer cars. I am reshaping the dash pad, will recover it and am hiding all switches.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

john
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Most Ghia dash modification suck. Reply with quote

But I like your work on the custom dash pod. It looks more 'factory' than most dash jobs. You could keep the dash top all metal and it really could show off the smooth lines of the dash. I am biased by the metal dash pre 59's are the best looking.

-Craig
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really awesome John! Thanks for sharing. I might end up going with the cockpits...There sure appears to be a lot less hassle to hook them up etc than mechanical vintage gauges...

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to start a fight, your work is going to look good when you finish it John, but doesn't it look kinda 50's Ford or Chevy? Perhaps I'm just too much of a "purist".

'64 Judson powered Ghia, original 6v 1200 40hp
'73 Sunroof Transporter
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve22 wrote:
Not wanting to start a fight, your work is going to look good when you finish it John, but doesn't it look kinda 50's Ford or Chevy? Perhaps I'm just too much of a "purist".

'64 Judson powered Ghia, original 6v 1200 40hp

Hey man...fatchicks are good for modding.

John, I just noticed those nice looking rims you have on your floor pan (gallery pictures) You don't expect to turn with those, right? Razz How did you make that work...What size are they?

Previous romances:

custom ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorjos

the wheels are from a porsche boxster, 16x6 with a 50 offset. running a 2" narrowed front beam. Have not driven the car yet, but have moved it around a lot in the shop, I think it will have a decent turning radius. tires are 195/50/16 dunlops.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: