Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you home-sandblasters use for silica protection?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rumdum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: What do you home-sandblasters use for silica protection? Reply with quote

I've been reading, trying to learn as much about sand blasting as I can before purchasing one. See that many people are buying them from harbor freight and they dont offer a respirator rated for silica. What are you guys doing for protection??? And where, if any, did you get it? Just curious. Would hate to know that I have prided myself as a nonsmoker for 36 years just to end up with lung cancer from blasting my bus. Though I must say, if the bus turns out really nice it might be worth it.....nahhh...
Ed Ruth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Gas mask 3m plus organic vapor cartridge Reply with quote

Get yourself a full face mask equipped with organic vapor cartridges. A nice one is available from 3M. An internet search revealed this web site for me: http://www.professionalequipment.com/xq/ASP/ProductID.2344/id.8/subID.131/qx/default.htm

Since you will also be using paints, solvents, and acids in rebuilding the van, you will need an organic vapor cartridge. Masks that just cover the nose and mouth disregard the fact that organic vapors can be absorbed by the eyes...and to a lesser extent skin.

The 3M mask is nice and comfortable. I use it when blasting and it keeps all the stuff out of my eyes and lungs. Don't forget...the friction of sanding produces heat which frees organic vapors from solids. Cheers, Ed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one won't do? (i assumed it would, since sand blasting just creates dust, which is a larger particle than paint fumes)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44113

i've been using it while sanding and sandblasting (haven't done too much blasting, maybe start using my hobbyair respirator for that if i am wrong to use the convienent face mask

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always just used a painting respirator. There are different kinds of sand available for blasting. I usually use black beauty if stripping a frame. It's very aggressive but low dust.
js99nielsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done quite a bit of blasting with silica sand and just used an organic vapor respirator but It really doesn't work (note the black snot that still comes out of your nose). Personally I think the best think to do is to NOT use silica sand! I've switched to a product called starbrite and have been very happy with it. It cleans better than the sand, is all uniform size, is not too expensive ($5/50lbs retail price), and it won't (so they say) cause cancer, fibrosis or that stuff. Just my 2 cents.
'65 dove blue doublecab
'89 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa ROW

'67 #1 SO-42 pearl white poptop walkthru...sold, shoulda kept
'63 beige gray/swr 15 window deluxe...sold, shoulda kept
'67 #2 SO-42 pearl white poptop walkthru...sold, shoulda kept
'67 #3 SO-42 pearl white poptop walkthru...sold, shoulda kept
'64 turquoise kombi...100% original, O rust...sold, shoulda kept
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just looked at my media and i guess i have been using aluminum oxide...about $20 for 50lbs...with the above mentioned respirator...no black snot in my nose...i use the same mask for sanding and get the same clean snot results...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a sand blaster and am wondering where you guys buy your media/sand. I bought some sand from homecheapo and am not happy with the results.
DHUFFMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to would like to know where to buy media for a sand blaster?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: