Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Something to think about
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Something to think about Reply with quote

I was feeling a bit depressed yesterday afternoon, so after I finished mowing the yard, I drove my ghia. Miraculously, as soon as I got out of the driveway, I was no longer depressed. This got me thinking... What is it in us that draws us to these elderly air cooleds? I remember when I got my first car, a 68 bug. My older brother said to me "You're the only person I know who dreams of owning a Volkswagen". I pawned it off as excitement of my own car; but now, some 30 years later, I realize, no it was the Volkswagen. There is something within all of us here in the VW community that is the same, whether we are illiterate, newbie, professional, hobbiest, or <insert how you classify yourself here>.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
dubtype1
Vdubn' Till I Die

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know whatcha mean. I can never get myself to tear down my bug 'cause I won't be able to drive it till I get it back together. So I delay the repairs that take the bug out of commision for too long. Its a great feeling drivin' an aircooled, I enjoy every minute of it.

Caleb
'65 Beetle project
quattlebum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been driving my bug that much in the past year due to it needing a lot of work and not having the area to work on it and stuff... I totally miss it... I'm hoping to get it up and running in the next few months so I can enjoy it again...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myk648
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt! I hate the winter just because I can't drive my beetle! As soon as the temp brakes 40 I pull her out of the garage and drive the hell out of it! Usually with a huge smile on my face.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to drive in a '67 deluxe bus so it's been hopeless since day 1! Rolling Eyes
ROADKILL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came home from the hospital in a new 1960 bug.
my mom used to put me in a basket in the back window well and
go to the store.
to this day I still like the sounds and smells of a old bug.
my dad still can't figure out why I've bought so many over the years.
chears
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Something to think about Reply with quote

I towed my first bug home at 14. Bought it for $50.00, and it had been sitting in a feild for 7 years. 1960 ragtop sunroof with a 36 HP. My dad said that if I could get it running good, looking good, and safe in all aspects, I would have something to drive when I was old enough. Lots of time with the idiot book, and lots of lawn cutting for parts money, I found my first true love. Bought a half dozen more over the next 7 years. Made bahas, built motors for sale and race, and had the time of my life! Now, I am 45. I had a kid run a red light last year and took me out on my Harley. Many surgeries later, I bought a 1971 Superbeetle project to help pass my healing time for $450.00. I rediscovered the passion!!! What a joy this has been! It didn't take long to rekindle the fever! Please forgive me, but I had forgotten how much joy a bug could bring! The rekindled passion has expedited my recovery, and the happiness spills over to all around me. Thanks VW for all the joy you have given me! Rick
blarneyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I had 3 bugs in the first 4 years we were married (I brought one into the marriage). We always loved them, but our last one didn't have a back seat and a kid was on the way (family car time). Seventeen years later my oldest daughter (who we got rid of the bug to have) bought a 73 standard for her first car. She has loved them since she new what they were. Now my wife has a 69 bug and I have a 69 square project to work on. We are all happy as a little kid with his favorite toy! Very Happy
canbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't understand VW's and my wife wanted to buy a 68 bug for our sons 16th B-day. She warned me that they were very addicting. I was thinking " ya right" I was a Chevy 4x4 guy. She was right, that was 12 years ago. Now she drives the Ghia and I drive a 78 bus. It just makes both of us so damn happy. We have just converted our nieghbor to VW's and he does'nt understand why he even likes them yet. He just knows that he does.

Her 56 KG
His 56 KG
69 Single Cab, my new daily driver.
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately a major addiction, but, unlike most addictions, this one doesent really cause harm, lol. my first vw was also my first vehicle, my 67 camper. a few weeks after i bought Rita, (my 67), i bought a 64 Sundial for parts.... ill never do that again, it hurt too much inside. and my whole vw obsession was started by one little bus, a 60 SO-23 subhatch westfalia, which i bought for 500 bucks and will hopefully have on the road by november.

ill drive anything, but ill only own an aircooled volkswagen!

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastback1971
Samba Drummer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife says its an obsession, and we have tried almost everything to cure it. Ive went to and thru motorcycles, imports, even a GM F-body,which I still own. But I always keep coming back to VWs. Doesnt matter, older, fatchick, bus, type 3, i dont care as long as its aircooled. Theres just something about these little cars.
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always feel better when I drive my Bug. Maybe because I feel like I'm 17 again. Maybe it reminds me of a simpler time, or the good times I've had in my Bug

Very Happy
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With as much hell as my VWs put me through and all the money they take from me, driving one simply puts a smile on my face like nothing else I've ever driven.
I've now decided that split Buses are my favorite. I love driving my '67 bus more than my beetles and the type3 I used to have Shocked

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am the same way and i'd say i've been mildly depressed as my bus has been under restoration since last fall...for me, it's the simplicity...there's nothing to distract you when you climb into an aircooled vw....just the road, the purr of the little engine, and the bobbing of the suspension as you slowly glide through the world...it's mildly surreal

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
grateful65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was a 69 bug in high school. I stayed into VW's for several years and owned about 15 VW's until graduating college. I took a seven year hiatus from the VW scene and about a year ago bought my first split window. You don't know how good it felt to be back going down the road in an aricooled VW. I forgot how good the feeling was and I kicked myself for taking seven years off.

Cool

The only problem was my old Bug O Rama 25-29 t-shirts didn't fit quite the same
Aussie Greg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 3 year break from VW's and after buying my 1st home did'nt think I'd own another VW again. My father convinced me to sell any parts I had before moving house and so I did much to my regret. (and now his as he is also restoring a bug Very Happy )

Then a mate of mine at work one day got talking about a Bug he had just purchased and needed some help with a carb problem it had. That was it from then on I was on a mission to buy another! I was hooked again!

I bought my 65 bug just a few weeks later and after a 12 month resto I drive it everyday. My family think I'm mad and they're probably right but, I get in my bug to go somewhere and I forget about any problems that I may have and its just a great release. I think driving it makes me feel younger LOL I will never sell any of my VW's that I accumulate from now on I will just restore them and enjoy them.

Any modern car is just boring.

My email - [email protected]

1963 Beetle
1965 Beetle
1982 Type 25 Transporter/Vanagon
1985 Type 25 Caravelle/Vanagon
2001 Golf
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussie Greg wrote:

How true is that... I know lots of people who get all excited by new-model cars. Meanwhile, I can't think of anything better than rolling a car that is many decades older than myself. Cool

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
Aussie Greg wrote:

How true is that... I know lots of people who get all excited by new-model cars. Meanwhile, I can't think of anything better than rolling a car that is many decades older than myself. Cool

Somewhat the same here though I must admit that I really enjoy taking the wife's Jeep Wrangler off-roading! Anxious
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: