Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurst Shifter rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a used Empi and scavenge the parts needed....

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glandnut Premium Member
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catbox wrote:
If you have a shifter that is missing the bottom plate what can you do to replace it?

Is scavanging from an EMPI clone the best way?

Thanks for the help...

That will work, but keep in mind you will be using crap mild steel in a critical part of the cage that was originally hardened steel. I have seen Empi shifters with the lower shift gate(square hole the stub shaft pokes through) hogged out almost in an oval shape after 6 months of hard abuse in a sand rail. They are junk.

I continually get customers asking what can be done, and I recommend two things. Find a donor real Hurst cage, or buy a different shifter that is complete. People who don't know what to look for when buying a used Hurst should realize the lack of that bottom lockout plate takes a nice shifter and turns it into a nice doorstop. Keep an eye on the knob threads as well. They can be chased and fixed if mildly damaged, but those who got a T handle with a set screw jammed into them will frequently be past the point of return.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

I've always wondered why Hurst supplied a polished white knob on all the shifters for American cars, but gave us a dull black knob.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I've always wondered why Hurst supplied a polished white knob on all the shifters for American cars, but gave us a dull black knob.

Great question. Question Where did you get yours? Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glandnut wrote:
catbox wrote:
If you have a shifter that is missing the bottom plate what can you do to replace it?

Is scavanging from an EMPI clone the best way?

Thanks for the help...

That will work, but keep in mind you will be using crap mild steel in a critical part of the cage that was originally hardened steel. I have seen Empi shifters with the lower shift gate(square hole the stub shaft pokes through) hogged out almost in an oval shape after 6 months of hard abuse in a sand rail. They are junk.

I continually get customers asking what can be done, and I recommend two things. Find a donor real Hurst cage, or buy a different shifter that is complete. People who don't know what to look for when buying a used Hurst should realize the lack of that bottom lockout plate takes a nice shifter and turns it into a nice doorstop. Keep an eye on the knob threads as well. They can be chased and fixed if mildly damaged, but those who got a T handle with a set screw jammed into them will frequently be past the point of return.

Great info.You should make a video on this subject.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Great question. Question Where did you get yours? Cool

Custom made. One off.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Just waded through all 6 pages of this topic, and learned a lot, Thank You Glandnut and Bruce and everyone else... Very Happy

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

whoever said to get the reverse lockout wire replaced by "holding your mouth right" was absolutely correct...I tried probably 50 times, and finally, after about an hour, it went all the way through...

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Too late now, but a tip is to curve the wire more than the bend of the shifter. Then when you try to feed the wire down from the top, it will naturally point to the side of the tube nearest the rear of the car. Where the slot is for it.

Dave, you didn't do the reinforcement plate upgrade!
Shameless plug:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=813234
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Too late now, but a tip is to curve the wire more than the bend of the shifter. Then when you try to feed the wire down from the top, it will naturally point to the side of the tube nearest the rear of the car. Where the slot is for it.

Shoot, why didn't I think of that? Thanks, Bruce, I am going to play with this shifter a bit, the nylon plate is nice and tight, but if I have to take it back apart for any reason, I'll be getting one of those steel plates from you..

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Got it all back together, and promptly went from first, to reverse. I guess I didn't bring the reverse lockout collar up high enough, so here I go again with that stupid cable, gonna have to make a new one. I know there should be some "spare" when I lift the reverse lockout collar back up, but I don't have anything better to do today.. Cool <EDIT> I figured it out, I had the round reverse lockout collar too low, and it would pop over the bottom plate. I fished a new cable through, got it so the round collar rides in the middle of the raised area, and now it works like a new Hurst Wink

MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Picked up an old Hurst shifter at a swap meet just for the shift ball and I was looking at it today and turns out it's missing a few pieces. The bottom plate, the side spring that pushes to third/fourth and the side plate. I went back out to the bug to inspect the shifter that was in it and it turns out it is a curved copper shifter in perfect working order. I thought the chrome had all come off and I was going to replace it. Now I have this chrome curve shifter that I don't need. After powering through all six pages on this thread it help me identify my shifter and helped me decide to keep it. Thanks so much.
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

I’m having trouble getting the side spring in place and didn’t find mention of installing it. Any preferred methods? Thanks, Mitch
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

I've had this shifter for years waiting for a bug to put it in. Discovered this thread and now I'm wondering if it's a RHD version. Can anyone confirm this for me?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Dibaltic wrote:
I've had this shifter for years waiting for a bug to put it in. Discovered this thread and now I'm wondering if it's a RHD version. Can anyone confirm this for me?

I have one for a rhd.

Put it in your left hand as if it was in your beetle... Feels good huh.

The way the trigger is cocked to the side is a quick give away.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Miklo wrote:
Dibaltic wrote:

I have one for a rhd.

Put it in your left hand as if it was in your beetle... Feels good huh.

The way the trigger is cocked to the side is a quick give away.

Thank you for the information Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carp442
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

No one ever said how to tighten the pivot ball if it’s too loose or heavily worn.
You can lightly plane the 2 inside faces of the nylon blocks to tighten up the clamping force. Lay a piece of 220 grit face up on a flat surface and sand the nylon block face by rubbing it back and forth a few times. Test fit the pivot ball, and repeat the until the ball fits more snug.
Do not over do it- you want to snug it up, not clamp it down.
Lube ball and re-assemble with Bruce’s racer plate.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

aluk wrote:
I’m having trouble getting the side spring in place and didn’t find mention of installing it. Any preferred methods? Thanks, Mitch

I realize that this post is 2 or 3 years old, but Jeff aka Glandnut said he will send me a video showing how the Hurst guru does it... If he's okay with it, I'll post if after I get it, but not until Glandnut says it's okay..And YES this time I am using one of Bruce's steel reinforcement plates

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Jeff did send me a video, but I am not sure how to get it on here. He makes it look so simple; I think he has done this before Cool Thanks to Jeff and Bruce for all the info, I've always like the curved chrome Hursts, ever since I bought one brand new back in Ye Olden Dayes. Can's seem to get this one to make a smooth 3 to 2 downshift, it wants to catch, I can only assume at this point that when the Type 2 hockey stick had the detent drilled into the top, it is just a tiny bit off.. That's okay, it's just one of the pleasures of having an old VW Very Happy

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

If it's a video you would have to post it on YouTube, then you can post the YouTube link here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: