Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OPD compliant propane tanks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still get it filled BUT the smart money would be to have someone look at it first (that knows what they are looking at) to see how good it really is. You do not want it to leak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Have a Look Here... Reply with quote

Just on the subject of Propane and Propane Accessories...

Shocked

Have a look here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179909&highlight=liability

Some good points there anybody worried about a Westy's propane system out to remember.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Don't tanks need to be recertified every now and then? Excuse my ignorance, but I am new Westy owner. Mine looks to be the OG tank and is now a tad over 20 years old. My van is being painted and I am thinking of taking it off to clean it up. Paint it silver again and so on. I don't think you can just keep filling them decade after decade and not inspect them. It is a pressure vessel. I know almost nothing about then so I may just spewing so excuse me as I am a nub. Don't they need to be checked?
Our Westy tanks are built to ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) standards. The wall thickness is something like a quarter of an inch. They are much much sturdier than the DOT-certified BBQ tanks, and do not have a requirement for periodic recertification.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread. I had my tank inspected at a large tank company. The inspector said the tanks, although ASME and very sturdy, needed to be inspected after a dozen years. Then evey 5 years there after. Or soimething like that. I have a new inspection tag on mine now. Better safe than sorrry!

Now I am in the process of putting a second tank on the other side. I will clean it, derust it and have them inpect it just like the other. It is cheap INSURANCE!!!!!

Use the SEARCH function, as directed in my signature lines and you will find LOTS of posts about the propane tank. Also look in the Best Threads sticky at the top of this forum for a list of the better threads about the propane tank.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
bandit1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Propane Tanks Reply with quote

There seems to be some controversy about LP tanks on the Vanagon/Westfalia. These tanks are ASME certified and do not require recertification.They should however be inspected visually for any dents, heavy rust, or cracks. This is for your safety. The only tanks needing recertification and valve replacing are DOT certified tanks such as a 20# barbque tank. These tanks range in size from 5# to 40#. DOT taks larger than that only need recertifying , no valve upgrades. The second issue is the Auto stop Valve replacement kit sold on this site. All ASME tanks are equipped with a overfill device. The valve being sold is only one half of a float syle overfill used on larger tanks. DO NOT INSTALL THIS. By doing so you are removing the overfill device which is illegal. Manchester Tank builds these tanks and will tell you there is no modification you can do to this tank. The newer tanks use a float style protection device, but it cannot be retrofitted to this tank because the port in the tank is in a different location. If you have an Auto Stop valve and it has failed, here are your options... If the valve is Aluminum it cannot be rebuilt, if it is brass it can be. Or replace the tank. Respectfully,
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit,

Respectfully, the above is advise seems prudent, but and it is a big one, earlier tanks did not have the troublesome over fill device. They only had the little valve you open. I do not recall seeing any sort of over pressure device or bursting plate on them.

The current Manchester tank you can buy has a 312 psi over pressure device and not the troublesome auto stop fill device.

I am confused. I am so because when I had my tank repaired the first time, a 312 psi over pressure device was added and the auto stop left in place. My auto stop has failed now (and I am not sure what kind it is.)

What is so darn dangerous if I have an over pressure device and the little valve on my otherwise sound tank?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Tanks Reply with quote

bandit1 wrote:
There seems to be some controversy about LP tanks on the Vanagon/Westfalia. These tanks are ASME certified and do not require recertification.They should however be inspected visually for any dents, heavy rust, or cracks. This is for your safety.

Well said; I should have made these points myself.
Quote:
If you have an Auto Stop valve and it has failed, here are your options... If the valve is Aluminum it cannot be rebuilt, if it is brass it can be. Or replace the tank.

I don't understand this. Normal procedure in this case is to install a manual fill valve, and a manual vent valve in the hole at the 80% fill level. This replaces the tube installed in the same hole which formerly went to the vent valve incorporated into the Autostop valve. Note that that valve is also a manual valve -- the only difference is that it is routed through the Autostop mechanism so that when liquid starts coming out the vent it acts to close the main valve against supply pressure. If you don't manually open the vent valve on side of the Autostop valve, it will never trip.

Yours,
bandit1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not the pressure relief that is in question, It is the overfill device. All tanks have a pressure relief. The danger is that because these tanks are small you can overfill them very easily and quickly. Thus now putting liquid propane instead of vapor to the supply system. When the regulator then fails (because it is designed for vapor not liquid) you have just turned your van into a bomb. It is the very reason that the DOT tanks now require an overfill protection valve on them today. Basically you are correct,most tanks manufactured prior to 1970 did not have any safety devices for overfilling. Due to the amount of tanks in circulation and the improper training of personel filling tanks, the gas association implimented the rules governing propane tanks requiring overfill devices. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO REMOVE OR TAMPER WITH AN OVERFILL DEVICE. These were implemented for everyones safety. I have been involved in propane for 30years and the changes in laws and rules were put there to save lives. Again if you do this modification and something does happen, you and the company selling the parts will be liable so buy some good insurance
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bandit I think you're conflating DOT and ASME tanks. The ASME tanks on Vanagons all have a port at the 80% WC point which can accept either the ordinary manual vent valve where you stop filling when liquid starts coming out, or the Autostop valve which stops filling for you when liquid starts coming out.

If you were to fill a tank to the point that liquid was entering the regulator I think you'd have more serious problems than that if the tank ever got hot. The 20% headspace is there for a reason...

Yours,
bandit1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not confusing the two. And yes you are correct on the 20%vapor spaceand the pressure that would increase.That is why there is a pressure relief.The relief though will not do anything for an overfilled tank that doesn't experience a rise in ambient temperature. The fact that as small as these tanks are, overfilling them only amounts to about 4/10ths of a gallon or 5 or 6 seconds of reaction time on a manually filled tank as you call it. I cannot teach 30yrs here, but I can tell you from experience that it is against all laws, regulations, the product manufacturers, the american gas assoc.,the canadian gas assoc., and people in the industry, that you do not remove an overfill device from a tank equipped with one and change the valving on a tank. The danger is there which is why the systems were invented.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older tanks did NOT have an overfill device. The same tank, LATER, had the device added.

I have a hard time believing back dating is dangerous.

bandit1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess then you don't make your kids wear seat belts in the car either cause that was safe 40 years ago. We might as well bring asbestos back, its harmless.
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
against all laws, regulations, the product manufacturers, the american gas assoc.,the canadian gas assoc., and people in the industry

@bandit, are ASME tanks legally required to have OPDs, and if so can you point me to the relevant laws/codes? Also if so, what are the grandfathering provisions if any? Thanks.

Yours,
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riddle me this:

What's the difference between the new tank with integrated Relief Valve and an old tank with an externally mounted Relief Valve?

Note the Relief Valve is spring loaded at 312 psi for both.

Note also that both have NO overfill device other than Outage Valve.

New tank as supplied by GoWesty:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Old tank requiring an externally mounted Relief Valve
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that the later replacement tanks have a float type overfill valve. I have purchased several new replacement tanks and they definitely have moving parts inside the tank. I did not get mine through GW.

Here is what Manchester Tank says for their new vehicle mount ASME tank valves. Notice the 80% Stop-Fill Valve

Typical valve layout for ASME tanks:

* Relief Valve — UL listed 312 PSI internal spring operation.
* Vapor Service Valve — internal excess flow.
* Outage Valve (Fixed Liquid Level Gauge) — installed to insure proper filling.
* 80% Stop-Fill Valve — 1 3/4" ACME connection.

Mark

r39o wrote:
Riddle me this:

What's the difference between the new tank with integrated Relief Valve and an old tank with an externally mounted Relief Valve?

Note the Relief Valve is spring loaded at 312 psi for both.

Note also that both have NO overfill device other than Outage Valve.

wiartonallan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes, exactly why I installed an Espar diesel heater and left the fine looking Propex unit that I had purchased on the shelf. I have had TWO Manchester tanks fail, leaking under the tag location. The tag tends to collect road stuff including salt. I have had issues getting propane suppliers in my area (Southwestern Ontario) to fill my tank. I eventually got a letter from the standards administrator (TSSA) which confirmed the the tank could be refilled without any inspection certification. I have one good tank left. After it dies I intend to convert the stove to a diet of small disposable bottles. The Dometic got replaced by a 12V compressor (dependable) unit years ago.

With respect to the autofill stop I can see no issue with replacing it with the older style fill valve and "spitter" type overfill indicator. That (I think) is how the same tank was originally configured.

85 Westfalia/Bostig
18 Tigun
08 Frieghtliner Sprinter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiartonallan wrote:
I have had TWO Manchester tanks fail, leaking under the tag location. The tag tends to collect road stuff including salt.

I'm pretty sure that the newer Manchester tanks have the tag welded all around. It was obviously an unsuitable practice to tack-weld it in the very worst place for collecting corrosives.

Yours,
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this all depends on where the vehicle resides.
If your in the salt belt, dive the Van in the winter--yea I can see it rotting away under the certification plaque.

But other than that there is nothing wrong with tossing out the problimatic, broken, froze, or leaking , Autostop fill valve & it's attached bleeder, and replacing them with older model type Westfalia manual fill & bleeder valves.

The older tanks didn't have any of the later model, currently mandated OPD devices on them.

If it isn't required, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought new Manchester Westy tanks as long ago as 12 years and they had the OPD valve floats and fully welded ID plates. All of the Westy tanks have pressure relief valves, Terry, why would you think otherwise? SOP for all propane tanks I would think.

Mark

dbeierl wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the newer Manchester tanks have the tag welded all around. It was obviously an unsuitable practice to tack-weld it in the very worst place for collecting corrosives.

Yours,
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I zigged instead of zagged on that one--and corrected that thought---

They sure do --hanging right on the side of the shut off valve.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: