Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

Along the lines of the Taste Great - Less Filling debate what have you found to be the better solution for your CV boot when securing them to the axle...
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:
Along the lines of the Taste Great - Less Filling debate what have you found to be the better solution for your CV boot when securing them to the axle...

From a local syncro nut friend .... zip ties are better because clamps can eventually cause boot breakage by not allowing as much flex.

I've tried it both ways with no problems but if I were doing back or off-road I'd use the zip ties to allow for greater boot articulation.

YMMV.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

Wire ties work fine.
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

None, maybe get a couple more months out of your boots.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

I have used the zip ties for years.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

With new boots, I start with no ties and then will add them maybe 50K miles down the road. A lot might depend on where you live and how you use your van.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

I guess if properly sized they create enough of a seal on the axle shaft end for every day driving, eh? I had heard so, and when I put new boots on my vans I have found that to be the case. If a van is used offroad or specifically for water crossings, you might want a tighter seal as a clamp provides. But just rain and road spray they seem tight enough. The zip tie then may come into play when the movement has caused wear and some slack, eh?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

Zip ties of any size normally don't literally clamp the boot end tightly onto the axle, unless one is really making a deliberate effort to do that, as much as keeps it from expanding from age and use. It will usually allow the boot end some movement on the axle, especially under off-roading conditions.

A metal clamp, especially if tightened to the max, will clamp the boot end down onto the axle in a fixed position allowing for no movement.

Many off-roaders have reported in time the metal edging of the clamps can cut into the rubber boot, as the boot tries to stretch and compress during articulation, potentially breaking through and then allow dust and grit to work its way in toward the CV.

I have also seen on both air-coolers and vanagons more than once where the boot end is metal clamped in fixed position and about 1/4" to 1/2" beyond the boot is partially or completely separated all the way around. Possibly caused by age/fatigue but also the inability to move on the axle however slight.

Again, if all your driving is on the paved road then it may not be that much of an issue and as one said, if the new boot is already tight then you could just go for a while like that. But I always use zip ties not to fix in place but to prevent future expansion from age and use.

Having said all that the original OEM boots I have seen had crimped metal clamps. I guess VoG never imagined we'd be driving these rigs for so long nor doing the crazy off-roading things us syncroists do Cool
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

I used to use the crimped metal clamps. Special crimp tool and clamps from NAPA, but stopped when I found that the boot needs have some free movement when I discovered a boot starting to twist; maybe the clamp was too tight. Regardless, I don't use clamps anymore at all. I don't wade through creeks, so submerging these on a regular basis is not on my menu. I have yet to see any contamination... the biggest point of failure is when the boots start to split as they age. FWIW, my experience is predominantly with the air-cooled cars/buses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

The Syncro front outer will need a metal band on the large side....other than that, zips a the way to go.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

Some boots don't even have a place for the clamp to sit, the ones I have had of this style were of pretty good quality but I have no idea what brand they were.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:
Along the lines of the Taste Great - Less Filling debate...

Or maybe the boxers - briefs - or nothing at all debate...

I use nothing at all -- and have never had a boot fail.

Just looked it up - the current boots were installed in 2002 (due to a noisy CV joint).

I might use a zip tie if the small end was so loose that dirt or moisture could get in; but that small end seems to be just right - tight enough to seal but loose enough to allow movement.

This also makes it easy to slip a long thin tube in there for reloading the CV grease.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clamps vs. Zip Ties for CV Boots Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
...but tight enough to seal but loose enough to allow movement.

Right, this is what I get. The boots are tight enough on this end to need just a little bit of grease smeared on the axle to help them slide on easy. Haven't seen a real need to clamp them. I use Rein brand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: