Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel gauge help
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Fuel gauge help Reply with quote

Hoping for some fuel gauge system help. I searched through the forum but didn't find anything that was quite the same.

I have replaced the sending unit, fuel gauge, vibrator, and all wiring on my 73 (Aftermarket - the gauge and sending unit are Classic Line and the vibrator is from Thing Parts).

The gas gauge only reads just above half with a full tank. Verified with 2 different sending units. If I connect the sending unit wire directly to ground then the fuel gauge will read full.

Below about a half tank the gauge seems to read fine all the way down to empty.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm open to suggestions on what to try next.
sdwalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge help Reply with quote

Check the ground between the sending unit and gas tank and gas tank to body. An easy way to check if this is it, is to run a wire between one of the sender screws and the ground tabs on the body behind the headlights.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge help Reply with quote

Fuel sender in the tank? Yours is aftermarket so I do not know if the quality is there. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=655121&highlight=fuel+sender+repair
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge help Reply with quote

I have been fighting this same issue since day one with my thing. Even after the restoration, I have not been able to get it to read full. Sorry, wish I had a better answer. I have tried multiple senders, gauges and vibrators with no luck.

I am sure it has to be something in the wiring, but I can't find it.

jay
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge help Reply with quote

Here's a good read on fuel gauge mechanics and diagnostics

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/fuel_ga.htm
Recovering Split Bus Addict
World 181 Registry Map:
http://bit.ly/1axDF1r
Gitm registared boys!
Officially, there are only 112 181s in the world
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge help Reply with quote

Thanks. I tried the additional ground wire to the sending unit last night but that didn’t change anything. The gauge just seems to reading about half of what it should -,was reading just above a 1/4 tank on the gauge and took 5.5 gallons of fuel to fill it up.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge help Reply with quote

Any thoughts as to if this might just be a mechanical issue and not an electrical issue? You may want to check the float and the arm from the sender to the float as the possible culprit. I would think that there might be an opportunity there to make an adjustment by way of strategically bending the arm (think of the old days when you could bend the arm from the ballcock to the ball float in your toilet tank to adjust the water cut-off and therefore the water level in the tank).

My fuel gauge works throughout the range shown on the dial however it has never been all that accurate or linear in its operation.
blsthng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge help Reply with quote

Even though it is a new unit, make sure the float is not full of gas.
You can also test it out of the tank
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge help Reply with quote

http://www.midsouthvw.com/TechTips/tech_tip_FuelGauge.htm
This is the same system.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: