Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box access
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
apchief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Steering box access Reply with quote

Seen several posts about the steering box, but I just want to confirm how I get access to it. DO i have to remove my gas tank?

My steering wheel is shaking like crazy when i reach 55mph and i went to get tires balanced and they told me it could be the steering box.

I appreciate any suggestions on how to tackle and narrow down the source of this issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an access cover that can be removed to adjust the steering box, however, removing the fuel tank is not difficult, and will give you a good, unobstructed view of all of the steering components.
If the history of these parts is unknown to you, I strongly recommend a thorough inspection.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your complaint is a very old one affecting many bug owners as well. Check your steering dampner and grommet,check your tie rods for play. Have your tires balaced like you mention.I sure others will pipe in with more suggestions. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Thing about four months ago. The steering was very sloppy. Turned out one end on each tie rod was worn. The steering wheel would also jerk out of my hands when going over the transition from the gutter into the driveway.

Rather than swap out the two worn ends I replaced both tie rods and put in a new dampener for good measure. All the problems were solved.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie rods, steering damper, wheel bearing pre-load, and proper toe-in.

First thing to do is check tire pressures! If you are new to Things, you probably have to much air in there!
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pressure is recommended?

---Captain Ron
apchief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for suggestions so far, I'm still not clear on where exactly the steering box is. Is it under the spare tire? under the gas tank?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief wrote:
thanks for suggestions so far, I'm still not clear on where exactly the steering box is. Is it under the spare tire? under the gas tank?

apchief.......

There are two "D" shaped access covers in the vertical section of the floor of the "trunk", in front of the gas tank, one on the left, and one on the right. The steering box is behind the one on the driver's side.

BNMike
apchief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, i saw those today and wondered about those! thanks!

I've just been reading several posts about "the thing shimmy" and many are attributing it to the steering damper.

So now i am kind of wondering in which order I should try to figure out what is causing the steering wheel to shake so bad around 50 mph.

any suggestions?

thanks!
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief.......

I'm not much more "up" on this than you are, yet. My car, "Hermann" was lowered while in Kalifornia, and I'm bringing him back up to standard height. I bought a used "thing" front beam to replace the "beetle" beam they used to lower the front.

So, I'm reading and replacing all the "consumables" in the front beam, from the brake drums in, before I change out the beams. In your case, with the car all together, I think the easiest first step would be to get the wheels balanced. It probably needs done anyway, so it's one less thing to eliminate.

You can jack up the front end and try to "wiggle" the front wheels. If there is much tie rod wear, it should show up that way. If the steering wheel isn't "sloppy" when you steer, it probably isn't the steering box. The next most likely thing would be the steering damper. It's a one thing at a time operation to check this stuff out, but you'll get there eventually. Good luck,

BNMike
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobie16 wrote:
What pressure is recommended?

There is a plate under the hood on the right side of the lock. It should read 18 psi front, and 29 psi rear for both light and heavy loads. That of course is with "stock" tires, but it the relative low weight of the front end that calls for the lower pressure.

If you run higher, try dropping it some. I'll bet you feel a difference.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief wrote:
So now i am kind of wondering in which order I should try to figure out what is causing the steering wheel to shake so bad around 50 mph.

any suggestions?

thanks!

Start with Air Pressure...
Then wheel/tire balance..
Check the steering coupler(rubber) that connects shaft to steering box..
Followed by Steering dampener...
Then wheel bearings..
Then tie rod ends.

That's my $.02... Start with the simple stuff, then work towards the more "difficult"(read pricey more involved).
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
apchief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have offset rims, w/ the front tires suggesting 32 psi and back 44psi. DO you guys suggest letting some air out even though they are not the stock rims/tires?
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief wrote:
I have offset rims, w/ the front tires suggesting 32 psi and back 44psi. DO you guys suggest letting some air out even though they are not the stock rims/tires?

I would!

The front end of a Thing isn't near as heavy as the front of a (something else). Too much air and the tires don't "hold the pavement" as well. They tend to bounce sort of.

I doubt that air pressure is the ONLY trouble you have, but it could lead to the trouble. Lose some air and see what happens. I do know that mine rides much nicer with the factory pressures. Also, remember to grease the beam.

Also, tie rods cost money and time. Damper costs money and time. Ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. all cost money and time. Air is free!
apchief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i jacked up the front end to see if the tie rod ends are worn. honestly i'm not too good w/ what part is what, but i saw a youtube video saying that if you can get play from moving one wheel and it doesnt move the other tan you need new tie rods. the good thing is when i move my wheel the other one moves as well. so im going to assume the tie rods are fine even though everything looks kinda worn down there. I did notice one thing that was different on one side than the other
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The part that im pointing at (seems like a pentagon shape) can easily be shifted around with my hand. the rod that it has coming out of the left side goes around the front end and connects to the same part on the other end. On that end its tight and cannot move. I notice that the rod goes in through the pentagon shaped part and comes out on the other end, but on the part that is loose it does not.

any ideas?
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the anti sway bar. The rubber may be shot. You can replace the rubber pieces with a synthetic material. As long as you're pulling everything off put a ¾" bar on. Less than $100. Use stainless clamps too. They're much easier to put on.

If yo do go with stainless take a narrow grinder wheel and split the old clamps on the bottom. A half hour job takes about ten seconds.

---Captain Ron
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief wrote:

Never use the tire pressure on the tire itself!! That is a max pressure for that tire.... Every vehicle has a decal(usually in the driver door opening) with the recommended pressures for THAT vehicle... Follow that decal, or the owners manual in the case of older vehicles.... And if all else fails, consult a forum for what works with custom tire sizes and certain vehicles...

Sounds to me like you've got Way too much pressure in there at 32/44 psi....
I believe mine are at 25/29....? Something like that.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief: Is this it? The Thing Shop $39.00

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was talking about the stainless clamps like these. These are the only ones the domeck brothers use unless it is on a original thing that we build for show. They are soo much easier to use, and gi joe is right on about the tire pressure

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
apchief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input. Question, so could that worn out part on the sway bar be the cause of the shimmy, or its just another thing i have to fix?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: