Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mud flaps and mud flap brackets
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billythekid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Mud flaps and mud flap brackets Reply with quote

could someone show me pics of an installed mud flap bracket Sad
flatfourfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd, you too? I got a set from the UK a while ago, but have no idea what the dammed bracket looks like and where it mounts........

Anyone?

bump

www.vwsport.co.za
www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/forum
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

Location: Somewhere in my mind... The Real er Laguna Beach :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 3 pics of my brackets:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dealer mounted the mud flaps right to the inner fender on my 64. Not what I would have done but there didn't seem to be any adverse damage and the hung OK.
billythekid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the pics , but my set is a little different. it just has a L piece and a flat piece about 8" long. Question
flatfourfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks for the pics too.... Cool

www.vwsport.co.za
www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/forum
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billythekid wrote:

Quote:
thanks for the pics , but my set is a little different. it just has a L piece and a flat piece about 8" long.

Sounds like a bracket for beetle mud flaps....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: bracket Reply with quote

The bracket in the photo is correct, but it is supposed to be mounted to the bumper bolt that is closer to the front of the bus. If you mount it on the rear bolt, then mud, etc. can still get up under the body by the battery tray. The brackets should come with short pieces of flat metal with one one in them. These pieces bolt to the ends of the main bracket and they attach the bracket to the bus body by sandwiching the body between them and the main bracket. You don't use the spashpan holes although a lot of people do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony1 wrote:

Quote:
The bracket in the photo is correct, but it is supposed to be mounted to the bumper bolt that is closer to the front of the bus. If you mount it on the rear bolt, then mud, etc. can still get up under the body by the battery tray. The brackets should come with short pieces of flat metal with one one in them. These pieces bolt to the ends of the main bracket and they attach the bracket to the bus body by sandwiching the body between them and the main bracket. You don't use the spashpan holes although a lot of people do.

tony1 is correct. My mudflaps should actually attach on the forward bolt of the bumper bracket. I didn't have the small end pieces that he is talking about at the time of installation, so I used the splash pan bolt. Something to do someday...
billythekid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: would this work? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=350885
billythekid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: what about this one? Reply with quote

this looks like it would work but the guy has it listed for a bug
need your professional advise
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=358810
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billythekid

Quote:
this looks like it would work but the guy has it listed for a bug
need your professional advise
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=358810

These are the wrong brackets. Not for a split bus...
billythekid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got a pair from empi (the correct ones this time) 40bucks
Jerry J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread here.

My question is at the end of my bracket where it attaches to the body it is angled down. If I attach the two short plates that pinch the body of the single cab in my case the bracket end doesn't line up.

Do I need to bend the end of the bracket to match the end of the body?

Also, I have the Venezuelian made flaps that are rectangular. They look like they may stick out to far to the outside. Will I need to trim the outside corner?

'58 Bug
'63 KGhia
'67 Squareback
'67 Standard Bus
'60 Single cab
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott's '63 23 wrote:
tony1 wrote:

Quote:

tony1 is correct. My mudflaps should actually attach on the forward bolt of the bumper bracket. I didn't have the small end pieces that he is talking about at the time of installation, so I used the splash pan bolt. Something to do someday...
anybody got some pics showing the short pieces sandwiching on the body and utilizing the foward bumper bracket bolt like tony1 is describing?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Scott's '63 23 wrote:
tony1 wrote:

Quote:

anybody got some pics showing the short pieces sandwiching on the body and utilizing the foward bumper bracket bolt like tony1 is describing?

In the top photo, you can see that the bracket is attached to the forward bumper bracket bolt and the other end is pinching the turned in lip of the body. You can just see the splash pan bolt peeking out the end of the bumper.

I tried to illustrate in the second photo the metal tab that is on top of the bracket and sits behind the body. It has a hole in it and when the bolt is tightened it pinches the body and holds it in place. Couldn't get the camera up in there without it being too close and out of focus.
Lohe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your editing skills are leet Scott, what's going on at the other end of the bracket please?

Edited: Nm I see it from the other picture and read about it.. your photo editing skills are still leet!
Jerry J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott's '63 23 wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
Scott's '63 23 wrote:
tony1 wrote:

Quote:

In the top photo, you can see that the bracket is attached to the forward bumper bracket bolt and the other end is pinching the turned in lip of the body. You can just see the splash pan bolt peeking out the end of the bumper.

I tried to illustrate in the second photo the metal tab that is on top of the bracket and sits behind the body. It has a hole in it and when the bolt is tightened it pinches the body and holds it in place. Couldn't get the camera up in there without it being too close and out of focus.

Scott, you are awesome! Thank you for going to the trouble of doing this. It is really appreciated.

Now I just need to figure out if I have to trim my flaps to look right.

'58 Bug
'63 KGhia
'67 Squareback
'67 Standard Bus
'60 Single cab
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Jerry J and Lohe...

Always wanted to correct the placement of my flaps so did it today!

Also, Everett, if you're reading, I installed the 'splash pan reinforcement plates' inside the body like you pointed out were missing in another thread a few months or so ago...

Always something to do to the bus... I dig it!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the perfect pics. time to fire up the welder!

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: