Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing body style
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Thing body style Reply with quote

I just bought a Thing. On the title it says body style "RDS". what would that be. Nowhere on title does it show "type 181" or "Thing" The vin under the rear seat and under hood 183XXXXXXX both match each other and the title Engine # D385814X apparently isn't original engine from what I read.
Any info. will be appreciated.
Leo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing body style Reply with quote

The best way to know what RDS is would be for you to go to the website of the state that title originates.

Not all states use the same nomenclature. My '81 (Rabbit) Pickup said two-door hardtop on the PA title, but Maryland DMV asked why it was called a "Pickup LX?" When I told them because it is a pick-up and that's what it is called, my title said it was basically the same thing (with the same much higher tag rates) as a Ford F-150.

Since it is under body style, you shouldn't have a problem with whatever it means and whatever your state wants to call it. Sometimes, there are problems when one state says something like "rebuilt" and another state wants to "get to the bottom of what that means" because they may use a different term or have a different definition.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing body style Reply with quote

Congratulations on the purchase of your Thing! And welcome.
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thing body style Reply with quote

In PA, "RDS" is the DMV abbreviation for "Roadster". A "Roadster" is a car that has no fixed roof and no roll up windows. A "Convertible" ("CONV") has no fixed roof and roll up windows, for comparison.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thing body style Reply with quote

CraigInPA wrote:
In PA, "RDS" is the DMV abbreviation for "Roadster". A "Roadster" is a car that has no fixed roof and no roll up windows. A "Convertible" ("CONV") has no fixed roof and roll up windows, for comparison.

Thanks,
I went on TX web site and roster is RS. However this title was issued in 1979 and they have probably changed the abbreviations in the past 37 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing body style Reply with quote

For practicality's sake, Idaho calls mine a "4dr. Util." If my insurance interprets that differently than roadster- it has got to be in my favor.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing body style Reply with quote

A 183xxxxxxxx would be a T181 built for sale in 1973.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing body style Reply with quote

KY is CV, I think that is for convertible and 4D I think we can figure that one out. But I have one that is 2D Under Model name " Thing". I have a IN title Body style 4S and model 183
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing body style Reply with quote

Hitest, mine in Idaho is a "light truck."

It seems no one knows how to classify it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: