Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Tips and Tricks for Turn Signal Switch Replacement?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Any Tips and Tricks for Turn Signal Switch Replacement? Reply with quote

About a week ago my horn started blowing constantly for no apparent reason while I was out for a drive. After some jiggling of the steering wheel some strips of copper fell out of the column (part of the horn contact ring and part of the contact off of the turn signal switch that rides against the horn ring). I've since replaced the horn ring (had one on hand) and just received the new turn signal switch.

Anyone have any tips and or tricks on how to replace the turn signal switch? I know there are four long screws that mechanically hold it in the column but I'm not clear on how to get to the connector to unplug it and to route the wires and plug in the replacement. I'd really like to only disassemble as little of the column as is necessary to do the swap.

Thanks!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips and Tricks for Turn Signal Switch Replacement? Reply with quote

You'll find 3 connectors at the base of the steering column housing. 1 for the turn, 1 for the wiper and a hexigonish for the ignition. Unplugging is straight forward and doesn't require any tools

Both wiper and turn signal switches a nested together and need to be removed that way

Unplug the two moon shaped connectors, It's ok to unplug the ignition plug as well.
Don't forget to disconnect both washer tubes. If there's enough slack, you can wait till you lifted the switch assembly out of the column.
Remove the wheel cover and wheel
unscrew the 4 long bolts but do not remove them. there are tiny spacers between the nested switches
Slowly withdraw the nested switches out of the column. You will separate them later.....

Oh the heck with it. Follow this procedure http://www.vw-resource.com/ignition_switch_replacement.html#turn

F
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tips and Tricks for Turn Signal Switch Replacement? Reply with quote

Mine had 1 bolt that came up from the bottom. it took a 6 mm Allen wrench to remove along with the 4 screws on top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tips and Tricks for Turn Signal Switch Replacement? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm planning on tearing into it this weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: