Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wow, what a difference a big sway bar and shocks makes!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Last edited by FG1732 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: whiteline swaybars Reply with quote

There is zip info in the split window forums on installing the Whiteline swaybars on a 64 bus. Anyone in here know if the installation process of such a beast onto a split bus is similar to a bay? It looks like the same swaybar kit is sold on the Whiteline website for split bus / bay bus.
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sway bar on the front... assume that it is stock?

Would the larger sway bars be an improvement for highway driving, and general lane changing without moving the steering wheel?

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, and it helps on body lean
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kkirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: whiteline swaybars Reply with quote

Antonio2 wrote:
There is zip info in the split window forums on installing the Whiteline swaybars on a 64 bus. Anyone in here know if the installation process of such a beast onto a split bus is similar to a bay? It looks like the same swaybar kit is sold on the Whiteline website for split bus / bay bus.

From what I understand the front sway bars are a universal design so whoever sells it (ie. SAW, Whiteline, EMPI, etc.) doesn't matter, they are all the same so installation is pretty much taking off the old one and putting on the new one. Some vendors sell clamp kits that are supposedly easier to use than the stock one but I didn't find the stock kit all that difficult. As for the rear I guess there are some differences in design and so installation of these bars may vary, I have not installed one but I am sure it is not all that difficult. The $90 bar I put on the front of my bus resulted in much better handling and way less wind buffeting, a much more dramatic improvement over my brothers $440 in Koni shocks he put on his bus.
2012 Suzuki VStrom DL1000
2006 Yamaha WR450
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADDCO Kit # 808
http://www.addco.net/Toyota-Yugo_AntiSwaybars.htm#Volkswagen

Mine works great.

J.R.
68 Westy
(+others)
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Sway Bars Reply with quote

I have had sway-away front & Rear for over 15 yr's on my 72 and bilsteins rear and boge on the front .conti's all around (vanco) 205/14 rear and 195's front . we used to tow a 15 ft. boston whaler to a lake 300 miles from here. I love the whole combo. big engine, 091 gear box. and always have felt safe passing big rigs and driving across the golden gate bridge on windy day's. just my opinion.
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have the Koni’s all around and like them just fine however I have just purchased a set of KYB Gas Adjusts and put them on the rear…I want to see what a gas shock is like on the rear vs. an oil shock. I kept the Koni’s on the front set at 1 turn. My bus is getting a bit of work done however once I get her on the road next week I will let you all know what I find.

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of October 2007, I cant find the Whiteline swaybars (for a spit bus) anywhere. Tried Whitelines suppliers, and they dont have. Aircooled.net...nothing, they wont even answer my emails anymore regarding the swaybars. Whiteline representative emailed me back saying they discontinued the swaybar for early spit bus (dont know about bay window). Totally lame, thinking about going with Adco swaybar... but definately not empi.
mnskmobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio2 wrote:
As of October 2007, I cant find the Whiteline swaybars (for a spit bus) anywhere. Tried Whitelines suppliers, and they dont have. Aircooled.net...nothing, they wont even answer my emails anymore regarding the swaybars. Whiteline representative emailed me back saying they discontinued the swaybar for early spit bus (dont know about bay window). Totally lame, thinking about going with Adco swaybar... but definately not empi.

Bay window swaybars are still available through Whiteline's online shop but not all models.
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
ADDCO Kit # 808
http://www.addco.net/Toyota-Yugo_AntiSwaybars.htm#Volkswagen

Mine works great.

J.R.
68 Westy
(+others)

ADDCO's bars , front and rear, are 7/8" diameter, or about 22.25 mm. Still listed on their website as available. I will probably obtain poly bushings for the rear, and shorten the link connector bolts just a bit. Overall, the bars made a great improvement to the camper's stability, but especially in crosswinds & buffeting by high profile vehicles.

J.R.
68 Westy
(+others)
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMazier wrote:
I currently have the Koni’s all around and like them just fine however I have just purchased a set of KYB Gas Adjusts and put them on the rear…I want to see what a gas shock is like on the rear vs. an oil shock. I kept the Koni’s on the front set at 1 turn. My bus is getting a bit of work done however once I get her on the road next week I will let you all know what I find.

Just wanted to let you all know that I drove with the KYBs in the back all summer and found the ride much harsher than the Konis. I have since re-installed the Konis in the rear and am much happier with the ride. 1.5 turns in the back, 1 turn in the front. KYBs are for sale…

Empi anti sway bar is on its way…Will update once I have it installed and driven around some.

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a HD front sway bar fitted, Koni's all around and Vredestein Comtracs 205/82 R14.

It's a huge difference in handling as opposed to when I first got the bus. Back then it had a normal sway bar, passenger car tires and kyb shocks. I highly recommend these upgrades!