Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulling Dents
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71stock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Pulling Dents Reply with quote

Does the glue and pull method harm the paint?? Never tried it. Does it work on all dents/dings that have not harmed the paint?
3Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a glue puller and in a few cases (like the door skin), it worked OK. Other areas the metal was too tight and it would not pull the dent. Glue pullers don’t seem to have the strength for the heavier gauge steel VW’s used as compared to the newer cars. Another problem is most VW’s are like a bubble so flat areas work better but the rounded surfaces don’t do so good.

As for paint, not a problem if your paint is good and you don’t have a crease in your ding. The glue is nothing more than a Hot-Melt type; not too different than what you would use in a hot glue gun. The trick to using them is to get the area spotlessly clean and make sure you have the correct size head to reach the bottom of the ding or you will be pulling on the sides only. I made some different pullers by grinding the heads of bolts to get into tight places. These worked good for me on the smaller dings. The other thisng to remember is to make sure you adjust the feet to be as close to the edge of the dent as you can.
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not call one of those paintless dent remover people that you see around? I have seen them in numerous cities around the US.
3Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in PDR here is a good tech page and it discusses classic cars too.

http://www.classiccarclub.org/Tech%20Tips.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: