Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tortise or the Hare
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Tortise or the Hare Reply with quote

Anybody have any thoughts on going slow? I converted my Syncro to a 1.9TD diesel a while ago and its not that fast. Really, its just plain slow. At first it actually bugged the shit out of me - why did I spend all this time and money putting in such a slug of a motor when I could of been racing around like all the TDIheads, Z-techies and Subynauts?!? But ever so slowly I'm growing to enjoy going slow. I'm beginning to feel some weird type of satisfaction when watching everybody race by me. Like most people haves their head screwed on backwards much of the time. And I was a go-fast-faster from way back. Whats happening to me???
'87 Syncro Westfakia, 1.9TD ADE (AAZish), 068 Injection Pump, K03 turbo, 2.5" exhaust, Mercedes nozzles, SAAB Blackstone charge-cooler w/ 800cfm fan, Micro-1000 EGT sensor pre-turbo, boost at about 13psi, 235/70/16 with stock gearing
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride Cool
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah hah, me too. My hobby involves some fairly fast cars and spirited driving but in the Westy... slow is nice.

Okay, by slow I mean 62mph -- which is slow in a state with a 75mph speed limit that most ignore.

On long stretches I find a big truck that is going a speed I like, pass him, get about 100 yards ahead & set the cruise control to match his speed. The traffic rushes up, passes him and stays left until they're around me. Very relaxing ride that way with no one on my bumper.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orbitald, I'm curious how slow your van is. Is it slower than it was with the 2.1 in it? If so, then there are quite a few fairly easy mods you could do to improve things, e.g. swap out the boost pin to one that has the proper cone shape, increase boost to 14-15 psi, increase fuel to match, add intercooler, etc... My 1.6TD will easily outperform a 2.1 WBX.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how fast do you WANT to go, in a small-wheelbased, no airodynamics, tin shoebox?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
szegedin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I literally go 50-55mph, 60 miles a day on a California freeway, without ruining anyone's day behind me. It may be a coincidence that I have never actually had an *engine* problem on any car I've ever owned.

I figure if everyone drove like me, people would spend less money on gas, die less frequently in car crashes, and emit a hell of a lot less carbon into the atmosphere. Not that I'm being altruistic - I just enjoy driving more than just about anything else, and I don't really understand people who are in a rush to get it over with. Especially if you have a BMW! What gives?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I think a whole thread could be started on this phenomenon. I'm also a former fast car owner, and LA traffic commuter - now reformed and darned happy about it.

I have been driving a 5500lb straight 6 LandCruiser since I bought it new 14 years ago. Around then I kinda "dropped out" of the faster-is-better mode. Without really realizing it, I adjusted my life to slowing down. I leave earlier, I make a point of grabbing a CD or keeping my phone's music up to date. When people come up on me fast I'm extremely respectful (left lane bandits are my supreme #1 driving bitch - by far) and do whatever I can to get out of the way. And I've developed a certain smug satisfaction when I see someone flying past, either with an attitude or giving off other hints that this is their way of life. I watch them speed off with nary a whit of emotion, save a slight mental lift that here I am enjoying a coffee and music while they're hunched over the wheel and late for something important.

It's a different world from the driver's seat of a lumbering beast. These things are the water buffalos of the automotive world.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind going slow, but really it is relative. When I need to go fast, I take a different car. who is in a hurry to camp, take a road trip, meander or sight see?

the speed limit used to be 55. When gas was more expensive than it is now, I purposly drive my passat around 60 and got more miles per gallon of gas.

If everyone slowed down, think how safe, economical and more environmentally responsible driving would be.

do the math and realize going 100 miles at 75 takes 1.3 hours and going 100 miles at 55 mph takes 1.8.

I love driving my westy. It will go faster, but design and common sense makes 55-60 seem the right thing to do. I don't care if it takes a little longer if it is better for the life of the engine.
paddyh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow is the new black. And that's all good for me.

The lesson my Westy taught us was that you'll get there, just not necessarily 20 minutes faster, but our tent, bed and kitchen are basically set up wherever we are...that and I get my fix for (trying) to go fast on my bikes and skis, so the balance is necessary...plus speeding has never been all that relaxing, or economical....

Your diesel must do well in the fuel economy/range dept I reckon.
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Orbitald, I'm curious how slow your van is. Is it slower than it was with the 2.1 in it? If so, then there are quite a few fairly easy mods you could do to improve things, e.g. swap out the boost pin to one that has the proper cone shape, increase boost to 14-15 psi, increase fuel to match, add intercooler, etc... My 1.6TD will easily outperform a 2.1 WBX.

Hi Andrew,

I should have included my tag line... I'm guessing my diesel is about as strong as my old 2.1 but its been so long I cant really remember. I make it up most long steep hills in third going about 50mph. I'm on big tires and running original gearing which probably isn't the best set up and I hope to change both after I wear these tires out. This keeps me from going much over 65. Not too long ago I discovered my injection pump was of the industrial type (all-speeds governor) and replaced it with a 068 pump off a Canadian Jetta. Its running much better but there is still some tweaking to be done. I did turn the boost pin around 1/4 turn but I haven't had the time to do much else besides set the timing at 1.00mm. Soon I want to swap out my air-air charge cooler for a liquid-air system which I have most of the parts for.

I wish you lived closer and I could just spin by and you could take a look at it. There aren't really that many VW diesel experts in the N. Cal world.

But then again, I don't want to go too fast and jeopardize this new found perspective Smile

David R
Oakland CA

'87 Syncro Westfakia, 1.9TD ADE (AAZish), 068 Injection Pump off CA Jetta, K03 turbo, 2.5" exhaust, Mercedes nozzles, SAAB Blackstone charge-cooler w/ 800cfm fan, Micro-1000 EGT sensor pre-turbo, boost at about 13psi, 235/70/16 with stock gearing
'87 Syncro Westfakia, 1.9TD ADE (AAZish), 068 Injection Pump, K03 turbo, 2.5" exhaust, Mercedes nozzles, SAAB Blackstone charge-cooler w/ 800cfm fan, Micro-1000 EGT sensor pre-turbo, boost at about 13psi, 235/70/16 with stock gearing
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be all about relativity! My 1.9TD AAZ would not be considered slow by any means. That;s when things work of course Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mph on big hills was how my tired smoky JX ran on 6.17 R&P and 70 series 16" tires. 15mph faster with the AAZ that I got from Overland. It's a Doka which is probably lighter than Orbital's tintop. I own faster cars but actually enjoy the 65mph cruise.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow has it's own hazards..

this is a bay, streaming along the texas interstate @ 55mph (flat land) with a yellow strobe on the back roof.. on all times travel.

More in the thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451029&start=20
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: slow down you move too fast got to make the morning last Reply with quote

Prior to Kaya, I had a serious lead foot. Then Kaya slooooowed me down. Not because she is a tin box with a too small wheel base and an inadequate motor but because the journey is the destination in a bus. I love just being in it. Super comfortable. Get a sunny warm day throw on some good music and cruise up the coast or through the redwoods or into the mountains... I enjoy having enough power to make it through Mountain pass fully loaded without an old lady in a walker passing me...

Got to have Kaya NOW!!!

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tortise or the Hare Reply with quote

I like to drive with/at the speed of traffic myself..
and when I ran a 1.6TD in my 2wd (aircooled DK trans) it had no trouble keeping up to speed, it was not SLOW though I do/did run standard sized tires.

and once I swapped the K24 turbo for a K14(eco/european) turbo it even managed fine up hills with staying out of the truck lanes.

don't make yourself a speedbump, it's not cool to always winder if that tricked Kia or Mitsu or big rig is not just coming up behind you, but coming up your butt deep.

and certianly if you aren't comfortable driving at breakneck interstat speeds. stay off them, everyone will be happy..

Orbitald wrote:
Anybody have any thoughts on going slow? I converted my Syncro to a 1.9TD diesel a while ago and its not that fast. Really, its just plain slow. At first it actually bugged the shit out of me - why did I spend all this time and money putting in such a slug of a motor when I could of been racing around like all the TDIheads, Z-techies and Subynauts?!? But ever so slowly I'm growing to enjoy going slow. I'm beginning to feel some weird type of satisfaction when watching everybody race by me. Like most people haves their head screwed on backwards much of the time. And I was a go-fast-faster from way back. Whats happening to me???

BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing just a few mph less than the average in the slow lane is great, there is never a line up in front of you & the view's always clear.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly listen to Jazz when traveling on down the road.I usually move to the beat of the music...Miles Davis and Coleman Hawkins means about 55 or 60. The Modern Jazz Quartet, Milt Jackson or Oscar Peterson dictates a smooth 60mph. Some of that electronic synthesized crap would dictate 65-70 so I avoid those tunes when at all possible.
Funny how music can make for a heavier foot Cool
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackDogVan wrote:
Doing just a few mph less than the average in the slow lane is great, there is never a line up in front of you & the view's always clear.

+1
SL1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texxxxx wrote:
BlackDogVan wrote:

+1

X2
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
...I've developed a certain smug satisfaction when I see someone flying past, either with an attitude or giving off other hints that this is their way of life...

And admit it -- isn't it sweet when you see them later along the side of the road getting a ticket?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: